1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trouble compressing .mpg for DVD playback

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by threedee, Oct 27, 2003.

1. threedee

threedee Guest

I have a standalone Panasonic DVD recorder that can get 6 hours of material on a 4.7g disc. Now, I'm entering the world of computer based DVD. I have a Hauppauge capture card on my computer, which is 1.7ghz, 712mb ram, and 160g drive. I want to be able to take the .mpg files produced during off-air cable capture, edit out junk, make them smaller, and retain audio video synch. I have the editing more or less under control. However, is there any out of the box software that will give me the capabilities of the Panasonic standalone, working with the captured mpg files? I'm not into pristine imaging, so the quality of a 4 hour DVD is just fine for keeping a tv show. I see things like Vegas out there, and can buy academic, but I'm hoping there's a simpler menu driven solution. That way, I can keep my focus on leaning formz and not have to become a DVD authoring expert... ;) All I want to be able to do it watch (edited) tv shows, and I don't want to get stuck with a one hour DVD limitation.

2. threedee

threedee Guest

Postscript-- I want to retain multiplatform DVD capability. E.g. not into avi, etc. The end product DVD-R disc needs to be able to work on most standard commercial DVD players, so I need to avoid making discs that will only work on a computer. Again, to recap, I want to take the .mpg files captured by the Hauppage card/software TV viewer, edit out the garbage, and then squash them down in size as much as possible, within reason. And I'd prefer a menu driven post-capture software option that can be burned on a Pioneer 105. So whatever it is needs to have burn capability. I don't care about fancy menus, etc.

3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

ok, lets go through this as i'm bit confused? you want to take an mpeg and place it on dvd-r so as to play on a stand alone dvd player? if this is the case then you will need to go along these lines!

1, use "TMPGenc DVD Author" to make VOB/IFO/BUP files needed to burn to dvd-r

2, now if it complains the mpeg is not a compliant format then run the mpeg in " VCDeasy " under tools to get it compliant!

3, then use "TMPGenc" to make dvd compliant mpeg then put it back into "TMPGenc DVD Author"

4, burn with nero!

now a guide for the dvd burning is here for nero v5 and recordnowmax!

http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/

Thx - if stuck on any part just shout!

4. threedee

threedee Guest

Thanks for the reply. To clarify, I'm using WinTV2000 to capture televised video. Essentially, it's just a TV tuner that runs on a computer, with a button to record either VCD or DVD quality. With DVD quality, the result is an mpeg file. Also to get one other complication off the board, I bought Stomp's Recordnowmax, which seems to handle DVD burning fine. You're exactly right-- TMPGenc complains the captured mpg isn't compliant. Following your advice, I'll experiment with this. The other issue is to get more than an hour on a DVD-R created from TV captured mpeg files, in such a way the file is recognized as legal-- meaning playable-- by a standard DVD player. I'm guessing DVDshrink may get involved somewhere in the process. I want to keep the end result DVD as opposed to VCD or SVCD. Synchronization seems to be a factor in some cases, from my reading of threads. I've had the same synch problem with long assembled mpg file segments others have reported, but it seems to be erratic, and the longer the file, the more likely it is to happen. Which makes sense, if the audio and video are only minutely out of synch-- I can understand the impact being cumulative. From my limited knowledge, timing manipulation seems to be a math issue, and calculating duration for audio and video is necessary. Seems to require a fundamental knowledge of DVD file structure-- e.g. it's not intuitive. Though I can't quite figure out where in the process the demuxing takes place that causes the problem. Possibly, the error is introduced in the Hauppauge supplied editor, nanoPEG. Now, on to the URL you posted re burning...

5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

in tmpgenc dvd author suite you can add say 5 mpegs! till it fills the bar at the bottom to 4.36 (4.7) gig!

which will mean like 5 chapter pionts to clink in a menu at the start of the dvd so you can choose which from the 5 to watch? nice!

are you saying that your mpegs are out of sync at the end?

keep posting we will get you there!

EDIT:

there are 3 version of TMPGEnc

1, TMPGEnc

2, TMPGenc Plus

3, TMPGenc dvd author

thx...._X_X_X_X_X_[small]XP 1700 TBred [o/c 2004mhz = 12X167/33 = FSB-334mhz]
    A7V8X SATA150/RAID 2x80 gig [Bios 1012]
    HERCULES 3D PROPHET [9700 Pro]
    XMS Corsair Platinum pc3500 2x512 1024 meg
    ENERMAX PSU 550watts
    [​IMG] [/small]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2003
  6. threedee

threedee Guest

I checked the TMPGenc home site, read some feedback, and I think I'm going to spring for the bundled TMPGenc package for authoring and plus, instead of the basic freeware package. I've spent quite a while reading info, and it looks like a lot for the money.
    However, the duration issue remains a question. For example, I recorded a short feature film using my computer that ran 1 hour and 20 minutes once the commercials were axed with nanoPEG, and just barely fit it on a DVD-R with so-so quality. What's still a mystery is how to crank up running time to at least 4 hours on a 4.7g DVD-R blank. Using the Panasonic stand alone, I can simply input the duration, for example 3 hours 10 minutes, and it will automatically fit the material to the disc. Of course, the more stuff on there, the more degradation there is, but three hours on a DVD still looks good to me in terms of image quality. I don't have a high end tv set, and don't have the inclination nor the money to buy one. My computer is entirely cobbled together, but is stable. (It's the cheapest model eMachine, but it was 1.7ghz. I cranked up the RAM. I had to do a little sheet metal work to install the Pioneer 105 recorder. Alas it has no agp slot, so I had to get the Hauppauge capture card because it would fit a pci slot-- as far as I know, it's the only card there is that uses pci. However, it seems to do the job just fine.)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2003
  7. HardRawk

HardRawk Guest

I'm really into capturing from my vcr. The best hardware in my opinion to use is the Dazzle Movie Creator 2. Works great,it's very simple.Lets you choose your compression,click "capture",..bada bing! Audio and video sync quality is great. You can get a great deal on it on Ebay. Just thought you might be interested!