1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble Editing MPEG -2 Files

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by doobadoo, Mar 7, 2004.

1. doobadoo

doobadoo Member

This is progably a dumb question but i just don't get it.

I just bought a winfast expert tv card, and i am sampling stuff from the tv into MPEG-2 optimal. The video quality is great. But when i open up the video in quicktime 6.5 i find that i can't delet portions of the video, like the commercials. I tried extracting it to DV, but i lose the audio.

I think the problem is that it is "muxed" and only one track. So how do i edit out the commercials if i encoded in mpeg-2?

also, i am then transfering the mpeg-2 file to my g4 for work in DVD studio pro to create dvds. DSP likes to encode everything at 4000kbs, but i am usually sampling at 8000kps for the best quality possible. Does DSP re-encode the video? Am I losing quality this way. Is there a completely better way to go about this that I am?

Thanks in advance,

Doobadoo

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

What you need to edit Mpeg2 files is a Proper Frame Accurate Mpeg Editor, I use one Called "Womble Mpeg2VCR 3.14" and it works Great...Many Editors will re-encode the File when creating the edited File which Greatly reduces the quality of the File so a Program made for Mpeg Editing is Needed if you don"t want to Loose Quality and Most Freeware Mpeg editors will Cause your File to go out of Sync but I guess you get what you pay for...If DVD Studio Pro re-encodes the Video then it will Greatly reduce the Quality so if at all Possible don"t use it if it does re-encode the File...
    Is there any Special reason why you are Authoring the DVD on a Mac?? Cuz PC has Much More Available and better Software for DVD authoring so if you can I would author the DVD on your PC...I use DVD-Lab for Most of my DVD"s and it never re-encodes the File because it doesn"t have an encoder and it has all of the options that any Professinal Program would have so you can create a DVD as Basic or as Complex as you want....Well good Luck

3. doobadoo

doobadoo Member

Thanks for the help and i will definately check out Womble and DVD-Lab.

The reason i am using the mac is b/c when you feed DVs into studio pro there are a lot of options, and the quality of the video is great.

I also have some great audio editing programs. But as i learn more about doing production on the PC i may move my Toshiba dvdr drive over. It will work on either machine.

Thanks again

4. onestop

onestop Regular member

Yo Minion, Just want to check if Mpeg2VCR able to bring up the bottom screen border? Reason is that my video captured from VHS will normally has a 3mm flickering border at the bottom of the screen and the strange thing is it only appears during playback in PC but was fine on TV. Anyway, I have been trimming it off using TMPGEnc Plus by adjusting the bottom border high enough to cover it but of course it is very time consuming.

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

That flickering on the Bottom is allways there but it doesn"t show up on your TV because of your TV"s Overscan cuts it off..It is caused From the Head of your VCR makeing Contact with the Tape....If you use Tmpgenc to cut the Bottom of the Image off then you have to re-encode the File which greatly reduces the Final Quality so if I were you I would not Cut the Line off because you are looseing valuable Quality which you really can not spare when recording from VHS and Like you said it doesn"t show up on your TV...
    Mpeg2VCR does not have the Option to crop the Image because it is Just an editor ...Cheers

6. onestop

onestop Regular member

Thanks Minion, I totally agree with you on further losing of resolution by re-encoding with TMPGEnc. By the way, is there any ways or program that can playback such DVD on PC without having the flickering border just like on TV screen?