1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trouble loading windows

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by annjee, Mar 27, 2007.

1. annjee

annjee Member

Ok, I have a dell computer. The previous owner password protected the computer. Not the Windows OS but the actual computer. I can't access anything. I removed the CMOS battery for about five mins and put it back in thinking this would remove the password protection. It didn't. Now the keyboard won't let me enter the password. The keyboard is working, and I've tried two other keyboards, also, but the computer won't let me enter a password. ANy ideas? HELP PLEASE! :)

2. 3lement

3lement Regular member

If you mean like logging in on the screen where you can pick sns then you can download a cd that takes it off for you. google it or search for it on microsoft.com you have to put the file on a cd then boot it up on the computer that doesnt work. it takes the password right off. if you mean that you cant enter the boot up scrn with configurations and stuff i know theirs a way to take the pass off of that too. good luck.

3. irongiant

irongiant Regular member

No I think she mean the Bios setup password. i really not sure about this one i thought that removing the battery will clear the bios. i suggest take the battery out again and wait for an hour or two and try it again. in the meantime try to google a search for this issue. maybe someone have a better answer, Good Luck.

TRy this site

http://www.tech-faq.com/reset-bios-password.shtml

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  4. annjee

annjee Member

I took the battery our for 2 hours and put it back in. That didn't work.

I also have been searching for the cmos jumper on the board but I can't seem to find it. I've been online looking for the motherboard diagram for almost an hour with no luck. It's a Dell Optiplex GX 150.

Any links or clues?

Thanks!

5. annjee

annjee Member

Nevermind. I got it. It's called a password (PSWD) jumper and it's located directly behind the power supply connector. That worked! Thank you. :)

6. 3lement

3lement Regular member

Yea for future reference you cant clear the bios by taking out the battery. the motherboard has a battery on it. And yea i knew their was a program to take it off that happened to my computer and the guy we got to fix it found a way to take it off. Good to hear that you fixed your problem

7. annjee

annjee Member

YEah, thanks for your help. I didn't have to use a program, just removed the little plastic jumper thingy. I always try to post the solution to problems when I get them fixed just in case someone else comes along needing the same answer.

I frickin love this website cause I'm a pc geek!

Thanks again. :)

8. 3lement

3lement Regular member

Lol. And yea thanks for telling us what you did to fix it im sure someone would ask that same question in the future. good to hear things worked out.