1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble transfering Iron Man in BD quality to hard drive - possible protection error?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by oCENTAURo, Apr 9, 2009.

1. oCENTAURo

oCENTAURo Member

Ok, because I do not currently have a BD drive on my computer, I am not able to rip any blu-rays, so I ended up downloading Iron Man in Blu-ray quality.
    I then tried to copy/cut and paste it to an external hard drive to transfer it to my PS3 so that I do not have to keep inserting discs in it, but it wont even transfer to my hard drive.
    It keeps saying there is not sufficient space, but my hard drive has over 250GB of free space and the video file is only about 8GB
    Is there something I can do to fix this? Maybe use another program to convert the file someway.

I've already tried zipping the file and/or copying it on the desktop, but it says there was some weird error, so I assume It's protected somehow.

any help?

2. snake2

snake2 Member

What is the file system of you external? If it is FAT or FAT32 then I thing 2GB is the max file size

3. oCENTAURo

oCENTAURo Member

how do i figure that out?

i think it might be one of those 2.. that would make sense, because I've ripped regular DVDs before and I was able to transfer them because each of the files was under 2GB

is there a way around it to directly connect it to the ps3?

i dont have a double male usb, so i might have to look into that

4. snake2

snake2 Member

on windows go to my computer then click highlight the drive and on xp i think it says it on the left hand side and vista it will tell you on at the bottom

it should say "FAT", "FAT32" or "NTFS"

5. oCENTAURo

oCENTAURo Member

yeah... its FAT32

is there a way around that?

any suggestions you can give me?

I really dont want to have to buy a different hard drive..
    i just want to figure out a way around that..

6. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

Reformat the drive to NTFS

7. snake2

snake2 Member

yep just copy all your files to your PC then goto my computer then right click on the drive and hit format then there is a drop down box that say "file system" just change that to NTFS

And I would do a quick format also

8. oCENTAURo

oCENTAURo Member

The problem was that my computer's hard drive was full and I was using a 500 GB hard drive that was half way full, so I wasn't able to reformat the drive.

However, I was able to find another hard drive and backup that media to be able to reformat the drive.

I did a regular format, I'm not sure what the difference is with a QUICK format, vs the normal way.

Well, now the problem is that when I connect the drive to my PS3, the PS3 doesnt recognize the hard drive, so I'm stuck once again.

is there a way to get the PS3 to recognize it?
    I'll probably check here in a few to see if it recognizes my other hard drive, to see if its a compatibility issue

So what do you recommend now?

9. oCENTAURo

oCENTAURo Member

OK, it appears I was right.

Apparently the original hard drive that was under FAT32 worked perfectly fine.. but the newly reformatted drive was not recognize. So once again, I have an issue of being able to move the information across.

This is why I asked if there was any way around the FAT32 problem.

any ideas? I'm sure there are loop holes

10. MysticE

MysticE Active member

FAT32 = 4GB... period.

11. snake2

snake2 Member

I guess the PS3 cannot read NTFS then I guess you are stuck

12. oCENTAURo

oCENTAURo Member

ok, so I figured out a way to transfer the file using a file server and copying it to my ps3 through the network connection I have.

The only problem is that it is a WMA file and the ps3 does not recognize the audio format so there is no sound, but picture quality is coming in nice.

I have a program called PS3 Video 9, but I am not familiar with how to change the settings to convert the video properly.

Any of you guys familiar with that?