1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble with audio quality towards end of CD

Discussion in 'Audio' started by karl2005, Jan 15, 2005.

1. karl2005

karl2005 Member

More times than not when I burn an audio disc with Nero 5.5 about halfway through the cd I start to hear distortion and it gets worse as the cd goes on. Usually it won't even play the last few tracks. I have tried every write spped that is available to me and I have updated Nero. Also the mp3's sound crystal clear so it's not the source file. Please help this is extremely frustrating and I am wasting a lot of CD's. Thanks.

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Sounds like your burner may be miscalibrated slightly from many hours of use, either burning or ripping digital audio.
    (The technical term for this is 'baked' :)
    During playback, the error-correction mechanisms of the playback device try very hard to correct the data stream, but can do only so much.
    Sometimes, although they may distort in standalone player in car or wherever, another CD burner will do a better job of playback.
    You should try manually converting the MP3s to compliant Redbook WAVs, using CDex
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_software/cd-da_extractors/cdex.cfm
    or equivalent, as a troubleshooting measure.
    You could then listen to the WAVs before burning, to ensure best quality is available (considering the source ;-)
    If you have good WAVs, but are burning dodgy CDs, you then know your burner is baked.
    CDs start at the inside and play toward the outer edge, where their linear velocity becomes its highest.
    This is the time when a burner must 'deliver the goods' with complete accuracy under maximum stress.
    Lucky for you, new burners are inexpensive - get a DVD burner!
    My Sony DVD burner ($89 CDN/AUS; $75 US; 40 Pounds Sterling) will burn audio CDs like a champion...
    So troubleshoot this like I said, Karl, and diagnosing your problem will put you at the start of the right road :)
    Regards

3. karl2005

karl2005 Member

Thanks a ton OGS! I will definately try that. BTW what model is your DVD burner? That's a great price!

4. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

It's a Sony DW-U18A.
    It came with Nero, for that price (Bonus :)
    Even entry PCs are starting to come equipped with these burners.
    Actually I can't find my burner at the supplier anymore - they offer only Dual-Layer burners now!
    They have NECs, Sonys and LGs at that $90 price.
    The accompanying software just might help make the purchase decision easier for you...
    L8R