1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trouble with iPod...help!

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by hajamgo, Nov 13, 2005.

1. hajamgo

hajamgo Member

This has been happening over and over again and I don't know what's wrong.

The iPod will be playing a song, then the song will suddenly stop and the screen will freeze. When I press any button, nothing happens, though sometimes the song will switch on its own or it will have a slow reaction time to the button I pressed, but the song won't continue. The iPod makes a ticking noise and some squeaks, like it's trying to do something but fails.

What I've had to do is toggle the lock switch on and off several times, then press and hold the menu and the center button till the screen either fades or turns off completely. Then the apple icon will appear and the iPod can play songs again. But sometimes this will happen several times in a row.

Do I need to maybe reformat my iPod? I thought it updates itself when I plug it into my computer and iTunes (I have Windows XP).

Any ideas what's going on? Any suggestions or links would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

2. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

I would definetely suggest restoring your ipod. Just open up the ipod software, hook your ipod up, and restore. Note you will have to reinstall your ipod software again. If the problem proceeds even afte this, then It could be something technical, in which case you should get a replacement.

3. Adavis

Adavis Member

Alternatively you can simply reset it by holding down the centre button and the top menu button for 10 seconds or until the apple logo appears. This won't delete your songs, though the option presented by Lethal B is more comprehensive.