1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trouble with new built system

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by gozilla, Mar 1, 2007.

1. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

I am having some problems with my new computer. WinXP 32bit refused to run at all, try to installed; BSOD, get a hard drive from another computer with XP 32bit installed; BSOD on boot up. Installed WinXp 64bit and was using that for the past 4 days without any hitches. However lately, the system has become very unstable. Applications refuse to start, or terminated abruptly and many other generally nuisances.

My question is why can’t I run WinXP 32bit? I know I can use 32bit Windows on 64bit hardware.

I read somewhere on the internet (I’ll post the link if I can find it, that XP 64 is more robust than 32) and would work if some hardware were faulty more-so than winxp 32. now my fear is that something is faulty with my hardware.

specs
    CPU Athlon 64 3800+
    RAM 2GB (2*1GB Kingston DDR2-667
    Motherboard Gigabyte GA-M55SLi-S4
    Vid Card Palit GeForce 7600GT (256MB) PCI-e
    500W PSU

any help would be greatly appreciated, I don’t want my new system to be an expensive paper weight. If there are any more details you need to know in order to better understand my problem, please feel free to ask.

Thanks……

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  2. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

the first thing i would check is your ram. is it set at the right timings and is it getting the right voltage.

3. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

hi marsey99 thanks for the reply.

having left everything up to BIOS (i.e allowed it to set voltage and timing on AUTO). that said according to everest, Memory Voltage is at 1.8V and timings is at 333MHz (5-5-5-15).

i am currently trying to find relevant info on the correct voltage and timing.

4. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

is that set to 1t or 2t?

if its 1t try setting it to 2t.

if you look on the side of the ram stick it will say the correct timings and voltage on the sticker.

5. elokito

elokito Regular member

dude yeah one stick of ram could be faulty also what r the temps of ure cpu

yeah xp 64bit is better once u get all ure drivers together

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  6. SkyLynx

SkyLynx Member

It could also be your video card. Pull it and use the onboard video. If it boots properly, then get the card replaced.

It could be that the AUTO settings are fine and one of the sticks of RAM is faulty. Pull one and then swap to see if that's the issue.

The key is to pull the peripherals out one at a time until it works properly allowing you to identify the problem.

7. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

thanks for the advice. i am going to try it out now and report back soon.

not exactly sure what this means. in bios the CAS latency is set to 4T, other options are[3T, 4T, 5T and 6T].

8. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

its not a latency option its a command rate or commands per clock, it will only give you the options of 1 or 2.

in everest where it shows 5-5-5-15 at the end of that it will say one or the other.

it will say the correct timings on the side of the sticks or you could down load cpuz and it will tell you what they are running and what they will auto set to. cpuz will also give you the exact model no which you could look up on kingstons website which will also give you the correct timings.

9. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

according to CPU-Z its set to 1T. where exactly is this changed, i don't think i've seen such an option in the bios.

i've looked on the memory sticks, there is no valid information really, except for maybe the id (serial num) of the memory.

going to go try and source some info from kingston website

10. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

mine is in the bios in the advanced tab, then in the chipset option, then in the ram timing settings. in there it gives me the latency options of tcl, trcd, trp, tras and then under those is the command per clock option.

not sure of yours as i dont realy know your bios but at least we now know that your running at 1t, if you look in the bios at the ram options it gives you this will be the one that only gives you the option of 1, 2 and auto. try 2.

personaly i think that its possible that your ram will run at tighter timings than it is now but only if you give it more voltage but you need to find out what kingston say about them.

11. elokito

elokito Regular member

marsey do u have ddr or ddr2 ram cause theyre different

12. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

both, i have ddr in my amd upstairs and ddr 2 in this core2duo.

i have to say i am interested in the differences you are thinking of though.

13. elokito

elokito Regular member

i dnt know if my ram is 1t or 2t as cpu-z doesnt say it in my ram (appears blank and its ddr2) also my bios has no option to change 1 or 2t so i dnt know if that actually has to do with anything

anyways 1.8 volts for a 667mhz ram seems a bit low to me so gozilla try 1.85 volts to c if that helps

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  14. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

everytime i have ran cpuz it has said the command rate in the memory tab underneath the other timing info.

it matters alot once you start to overclock as 1t realy can cause some issues when you push your ram, this is why i find it hard to understand as you have yours oced.

upping the volts would of been the next step but this is why i wanted gozilla to find out and look up the model numbers on the kingston site as if they are set correctly (timings/volts) the problem might be else where.

15. elokito

elokito Regular member

16. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

try it with 1.39

thats strange that tho man.

17. elokito

elokito Regular member

18. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  19. elokito

elokito Regular member

it is what it is

20. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

ok. first off all thanks for all the advice given, the wealth on knowledge available here is paramount. secondly i have managed to correct the problem. the stem of the problem laid with a faulty HDD (carried over from previous built) and a poorly made connection between the motherboard IDE connector and the IDE cable (i.e i didn't plug it in properly).

now it's all good. happily running XP32 with no problems (XP64 had zero support for most of my peripherals) and enjoying the wealth of new power provided by my new computer.

[​IMG]