1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trouble with roxio easy CD creator 6

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mr_steve, Jan 12, 2005.

1. mr_steve

mr_steve Member

once removed from computer, how do I remove leftover remnants

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

here ya be:http://softwareupdates.roxio.com/gm/support/tools/roxizap.exe

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there mr_steve, welcome to aD,

No problem, many pple have trouble with Roxio -BUT you've come to the right place.

This is the Home of ScubaPete and his not-so-silly guides ta help you out :)

Here's a ScubaPete guide for Uninstalling Roxio and Nero,

"WHOAH there partner, I didn't say I wanted to get rid of Nero ~" No, you didn't. BUT if you had Nero on your PC along with Roxio then Nero almost assuredly has a corrupted file or 3. Just in case, so matters don't go "downhill," let's get everything up and running and in perfect shape. To do so, let's do a "CLEAN UNINSTALL" with Nero and then install it in perfect condition.

You say you have Roxio. Roxio is, IMO, the worst program you can have on your PC if you wish to work with DVD Video. It does it's best to trash almost every other DVD backup proggy there is except DVD Shrink. One extremely good program, Nero, is one that Roxio messes with the most. True there are a very few pple who have them both on their PC BUT by far, the vast majority of pple who have had them both on their PC's have had major headaches and have had to get rid of Roxio. As I'm sure any search through our threads will show you it's a wise decision. Even getting rid of Roxio is a problem as it weaves itself all through your system and you require a special proggy to get rid of it even after you've uninstalled it.

We're here because you've probably had trouble burning that can be traced to our archenemy Roxio CD-Creator or one of his henchmen.

The best way to rid our selves of Roxio is remove him through "Control Panel", "Add and Remove Programs".

After you've done that, I'm thinking you haven't gotten all of Roxio, actually you haven't, you need to run this -
    Remove all types of Roxio tentacles and tendrils with Roxio Zapper -

Find it here: http://www.microadvantage.net/downloads/zapper60.zip

Once you've done that, reboot your PC to "flush everything out of your PC's system :)

Now, again, you must uninstall Nero COMPLETELY.

This will help you do a "clean" uninstall.

You must use all of Nero's Clean tools in order to do the job correctly.

They can all be found here:

http://www.nero.com/us/631940828445001.htm

General Clean tool
    Registry cleaner and driver cleaner
    InCD Clean tool

When you reinstall Nero 6 DO NOT install InCD OR if you do, turn it off in msconfig (better to not install it) it can and does cause problems with other proggys.

Load Nero up from here:

http://www.ahead.de/us/nero6-ultraedition.php

When installing and uninstalling programs it's a good practice complete the operation with a PC reboot. It only takes a minute, help it can, hurt it won't.

Whenever you're uninstalling a program, it's a good practice to reboot your PC (even if it's not called for) to help "Flush" the program out. By the same token, when you install a program, it's a good practice to reboot your PC (even though it doesn't call for it) to help the "New" guy "Settle" it in.

Now that we've done that (I know it's a "Pain" but when it's done correctly the first time and all the steps are followed then we don't have problems AND we don't have to do it all over again.

IF YOU ALL OF THE STEPS (and didn't skip just one that "couldn't possibly" make a bit of difference) THEN, WE SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO - YIPPIEEE ! !

Now let's see how we do -

Pete :p)

4. tarmac

tarmac Member

ScubaPete, I have read several of your thread as I am a newbie and was trying to find infor to help fix the problems I was having.

I was using DVDXCopy and Roxio. I had made several backups with no problems. Then it seemed all at the same time, DVDXCopy would stop ripping around 11% or it would stut down all together. Also, Roxio started to burn coaster...the movies were there, but jumped, skipped, stopped and started.

I used your info above, got rid of Roxio totally and got Nero. I downloaded DVD Decryptor and Shrink, and used your info on a separate posting on how to set up the preferences in Decryptor (I was getting a nasty I/O message)

Today, I ripped 2 movies with Decryptor, reauthorized using Shrink (which was suggested to me on another forum) and burn using SHrinks internal burn from Nero. No problems...I would just like to say Thank you !!!

5. mr_steve

mr_steve Member

Thank you all.
    mr_steve

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

@ tarmac and mr_steve, you're both welcome,

I'm certainly glad your problem's solved,

I hope you know that you're welcome here even if you haven't a problem. LQQk around, check out some of the threads - You'll be surprised at the information you can garner.

Information on "tricks" to get your PC humming faster, settings for your programs, new programs, some for free - some for trial that may save you time - warnings on hardware, S/w or media that might head off headaches for you in the future.

You can make friends here, enjoy helping others - Though you may not feel that you know enough now to contribute, reading threads will add to your knowledge base in no time. Head to the "Safety Valve" forum and chat about any topic under the sun OR check out our forums on Digital Camcorders, Photography, Home Theater components, Games, p2p topics or even Cellular phones.

We'll be lQQking for you -

Me ? Well I'll be over there, behind the water cooler, under the potted Palm, sipping a cool one and answering questions - feel free to stop by and say "Howdy" -

'till then, I'll be Sea'n you -

Pete :D)

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey pete,thanks for that roxio zapper proggy. I was on my backup pc the last 5 days and I kept getting an error saying files ready to burn to cd. It had roxio easy creator 3 at one time so it still must have the "Tentacles of roxio" remnants in there.1 hr encoding and burning 2.4x process is no problem on this old pc.

I finally got my main pc running after losing 1 gig of ram and rebooting my asrock motherboard sis drivers. I can now try to use the roxio zapper and get that 598 mhz machine running 100%.
    Later

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Saugmon,

I thought you didn't care much for my posts -

Go figure -

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Yo pete, i like to read your posts. Always something to learn when you are on the threads.

You are my mentor,I am not worthy! lol

Have a good one pete,later

10. henryting

henryting Regular member

Hi, scubapete,

Any ideas Mr. shrink will be back to improvise on his invention of shrink. I mean to improvise or upgrade his version to a better one to solve some of the unsolved problems besides using the latest dvd decry.

I really enjoy using his SW and I think it's a great invention much better than xcopy.

I certainly hope that this great SW will not lie there for good. What do you think my friend????

11. mr_steve

mr_steve Member

All's well here with Nero uninstall & renstall seems to have gone well. Thank you, Pete

mr Steve

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

You're welcome mr_steve,

I'm certainly glad your problem's solved,

I hope you know that you're welcome here even if you haven't a problem. LQQk around, check out some of the threads - You'll be surprised at the information you can garner.

Information on "tricks" to get your PC humming faster, settings for your programs, new programs, some for free - some for trial that may save you time - warnings on hardware, S/w or media that might head off headaches for you in the future.

You can make friends here, enjoy helping others - Though you may not feel that you know enough now to contribute, reading threads will add to your knowledge base in no time. Head to the "Safety Valve" forum and chat about any topic under the sun OR check out our forums on Digital Camcorders, Photography, Home Theater components, Games, p2p topics or even Cellular phones.

We'll be lQQking for you -

Me ? Well I'll be over there, behind the water cooler, under the potted Palm, sipping a cool one and answering questions - feel free to stop by and say "Howdy" -

'till then, I'll be Sea'n you –

Pete :D)

13. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

iam using dvd x copy to and have roxio..so your saying i shouldnt use the roxio program and use nero instead. i havent had a problem with having both programs on my pc being dvd x copy and roxio. let me know thanks guys.

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

aabbccdd,

I haven't the faintest idea what or who you're talking too.

Since I've never talked to you I haven't said anything to you about using anything -

Unless you would care to refresh my memory - perhaps your post somewhere on this thread got moved or was vanished by forces unknown.

NOW, if you would like to start over as a Newbie, tell me your problem, then we can begin somewhere instead of continuing a conversation we never had - -

Pete

BTW,
    321 XCopy says Roxio isn't any good with XCopy -

Black List for DVD XCopy

The following programs can cause problems while using 321 Studios software:
    1. B's Clip: This package will load a packet-writing software that will constantly talk to your CD/DVD writer, and can cause a number of issues while trying to write a disc. Disabling this software is not enough, as a portion of this package is always running after you start Windows. You will need to uninstall it in Add/Remove Programs, then reboot to remove it.
    For more information, visit the B's website at http://www.bhacorp.com.
    2. Direct CD or Drag to Disk: These are applications from Easy CD Creator from Roxio. This package will load a packet-writing software that will constantly talk to your CD/DVD writer, and can cause a number of issues while trying to write a disc. Disabling this software is not enough, as a portion of this package is always running after you start Windows. To remove them you need to go to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. There you can select Easy CD Creator to Change - not Remove. Then you click next until it gives you the option to Modify. Then either Direct CD or Drag to Disk should be selected and changed to "make this option not available". Then click Next. While the program may look like it is installing, it is actually removing those options.
    For more information, please visit Roxio's website at http://www.roxio.com/en/support.index.jhtml
    3. GoBack: This is backup software that constantly runs in the background (Terminate and Stay Ready) which not only needs to be turned off, but disabled. Unfortunately, this may cause some restore points to vanish, but it will free up a lot of hard drive space.
    For more information visit Symantec's web site for GoBack at http://www.symantec.com/goback/index.html
    4. DLA: Also HP-DLA, Veritas DLA, and others. DLA stands for Disk Letter Assignment. This package will load a packet-writing software that will constantly talk to your CD/DVD writer, and can cause a number of issues while trying to write a disc. Disabling this software is not enough, as a portion of this package is always running after you start Windows. You will need to uninstall it in Add/Remove Programs, then reboot to remove it.
    5. InCD: This is packet writing software that comes bundled with Ahead Nero Burning Rom. This package will load a packet-writing software that will constantly talk to your CD/DVD writer, and can cause a number of issues while trying to write a disc. Disabling this software is not enough, as a portion of this package is always running after you start Windows. You will need to uninstall it in Add/Remove programs, then reboot to remove it.
    For more information go to Nero's website at http://www.nero.com/en/
    6. Interactual Player and PC Friendly Player: These programs are DVD software viewers that often come on DVD movie discs, and will try to install themselves everytime you watch a movie on your computer. Please make sure to NOT let these install. Both programs interfere with all 321 Studios software and should be un-installed from Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel when found. In some cases, you will need to uninstall and reinstall our software to restore functionality after removing one of these.
    For more information about both players, visit http://player.interactual.com/
    7. McAfee Anti-Virus: This is anti-virus software that when running, can cause errors. It needs to be disabled by right clicking on the icon in the lower right side of the task bar. The 321 Studios software then needs to be restarted. Whenever you are using our software, McAfee needs to be disabled to ensure unrestricted access to your drive.
    For more info go to McAfee's website at http://us.mcafee.com/default.asp
    8. Norton Anti-Virus: This is anti-virus software that when running, can cause errors. It needs to be disabled by right clicking on the icon in the lower right side of the task bar and the automatic updates should be disabled. The 321 Studios software then needs to be restarted. Whenever you are using our software, Norton needs to be disabled to ensure unrestricted access to your drive.
    The Norton Website is http://www.symantec.com/
    9. StopZilla: StopZilla can hinder required portions of our installer, causing the software to fail. Please completely disable StopZilla, then install our software. Once our software is installed, you may safely enable it again. If you have any difficulty using our software at a later time, you may need to disable StopZilla before going to use our software. Uninstallation is not required.
    10. MyStorageGuard: This backup software can hinder certain required files from being copied during the installation. Please disable this program before installing our software, and have it disabled any time you go to use our software. Uninstallation is not required.
    11. Napster 2.0: This software includes some basic burning software that can cause burning problems if it is running. You will need to close this program completely before trying to use our software. In some rare cases, you will need to completely uninstall this package to attain full reliability, so if disabling does not solve your issue, please try uninstalling this software, and try again.
    12. Easy CD Creator 4.x: Due to the age of this package, it is no longer updated by the authors. There are bugs present in this older system that will cause NUMEROUS problems on your machine, not just with our software. Please Uninstall completely, and consider either the new 6.x version from Roxio (http://www.roxio.com) or Nero 6.x (http://www.nero.com). These packages, installed without the Packet Writing software (DirectCD/Drag to Disk/InCD), all work very well together with our software.
    13. NTI FileCD: This program has packet writing software installed with it. This package will load a packet-writing software that will constantly talk to your CD/DVD writer, and can cause a number of issues while trying to write a disc. Disabling this software is not enough, as a portion of this package is always running after you start windows. You will need to uninstall it in Add/Remove Programs, then reboot twice to fully remove it.
    For more information go to NTI FileCD's Product page at http://www.ntius.com/default.asp?p=cdmaker/filecd_main
    Spyware and Adware - some programs can install other software that can be damaging to your Operating System. Please scan for these programs with a Spyware utility. We recommend Ad-aware, available freely at www.lavasoftusa.com
    If you perform any of these changes, you may need to uninstall our software, then re-install to fix any damage left. If you find some of these packages, please shut down and reboot twice to ensure that the last pieces of the conflicting software are completely removed.
    Every version of windows requires updates. These updates correct a multitude of problems that are found, on many levels.
    To be sure your system is completely up to date go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    If you are using Windows XP please visit http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/default.asp
    If you are using Windows 2000 please visit http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp
    You will also want to update your Direct X control to insure full functionality of any of our programs. You will want to download, and install Direct X 9 from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/downloads
    Certain programs running in the background can use system resources and cause our software to experience burning issues.
    To disable your start up group go to start, run, and type in msconfig and hit enter, then click on the startup tab.
    Windows XP(Home & Pro):
    If you are running Windows XP you will click the disable all button.
    Windows Me:
    If you are running Windows Me disable all items that are not Windows system processes.
    Windows 98:
    If you are running Windows 98 disable all items except for Systray, Explorer and Scanreg.
    Windows 2000:
    Windows 2000 does not have this utility please make sure to close all programs through your system tray.
    Please update your ASPI software by installing the software at this link:
    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...cat=/Product/ASPI-4.70&filekey=aspi_471a2.exe
    Follow the instructions carefully, and make sure to reboot afterwards.
    Make sure you have the latest firmware update for your writer by visiting the manufacturer's website. Due to legal issues we cannot provide links for you. If you cannot find any update on their website it is recommended to contact them by phone to make sure your firmware is up to date.
    Here are some of the more common drives we know of. Please check at this location if you have the corresponding drive:
    NEC _ND-1100a - http://support.dell.com/FileLib/Format.aspx?c=us&l=en&ReleaseID=R59801
    Sony Drives - http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/index.htm
    Pioneer - http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/links/list/0,,2076_4249,00.html
    TDK - http://www.tdk.com/support/dvdburners/index.html
    LiteOn - http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/english/index-english.htm
    Toshiba 5002 / 6012 - http://sdd.toshiba.com/cda/main.asp...000003c7/8182000006d4000000010000659c0000154c
    Memorex - http://www.memorex.com/service_support/software_display.php?id=456&dl=p
    Verbatim Branded - http://www.v-pgi.com/Downloads.htm
    Hewlett-Packard - http://www.hp.com/cposupport/software.html
    BenQ - http://www.benq.com/drivers/storage_drivers.html
    OptoRite - http://www.optorite.com/support.htm
    Asus DRW-0402P/D - http://usa.asus.com/products/optical/drw-0402P-d/overview.HTM - choose Download
    Teac - http://www.teac.co.jp/dspd/download/firmware/dv-w50e/explain.html
    Plextor - http://www.plextor.com/english/support/support_downloads.html#firm
    IOMEGA - http://www.iomega.com/software/index.html

Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  15. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

hey aabbccdd, If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Unless you are having problems,then leave it be.

Roxio gives some people problems when they have both nero and roxio. I have a buddy that has both those programs and no problems.

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Sounds right to me :)

Pete