1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trouble with vhs to dvd

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by asher4, Apr 20, 2005.

1. asher4

asher4 Guest

hi i am having trouble with vhs to dvd i did some vhs to dvd an there was not a problem now every time i capture there are stops and starts in the image and the sound has crackling noises wich i didnt have in my first vhs to dvd,s i am using ulead video studio 7 with movie factory 2 the capure device is canopus advc 55 and i am using windows xp pro. cpu 64bit 3000+ 1gig of ddr ram gainward nvidia ti4200 seagate baracuda 200gig primary with 80gig slave this is my first post anywhere on the net .

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Defrag your hard drive.
    Turn off anti-virus during capture.
    Check aspect, resolution, and framerate during capture.

3. asher4

asher4 Guest

hi rebootjim thanks for your reply i have tried all the suggestions you said but i still have the same problem i have rang canopus austrlia and they seem to think that it might be my vcr wich it could be as it is quite old so i am going to try a newer model vcr
    cheers .

1 i defraged the hard drive.
    2 turned off the anti virus.
    3 checked aspect resolution frame rate 25 it was .

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Ok, 25fps is correct. What SIZE is the video? 720x576, or smaller?

5. asher4

asher4 Guest

hi rebootjim yes the video is 720 x 576 i am going to see if i can buy a new vcr to see if that might be the cause of my problem thank you for your help cheers.

6. jkeeton

jkeeton Member

hi. I don't mean to intrude but i was looking for info on capture vhs to dvd. I have read alot of this and I know that- Reboot, you know what's up! I already know that most recommend the advc-100. But I don't have alot of vhs home movies(and some originals that I would like to preserve) and thats alot of money. I have a pc which is an emachines T3065: AMD Athlon XP/160 GB HD/512 DDR RAM for starts. Is there a cheaper way for me to capture my store-bought VHS and home movies with the quality of exactly what is on the VHS(or better) using a something other than the canopus.I know there may be macrovision on some. Is there a breakout box with USB worth having. If not, I would need a firewire port installed in my pc. Like I said, wanting to keep the quality of VHS(at least) without spending hundreds.

7. jkeeton

jkeeton Member

also, the AMD is 3000+

8. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

The cheap way, would be to get a $20 TV/capture card.
    Turn off all processes you can, turn off anti-virus, basically, have nothing running but your capture program.
    Hook the VCR to the card via the standard cable, and tune the software to channel 3 (which is usually the default VCR output chan).
    You will then have to encode the captured avi to mpg, and author.
    There are a couple of free mpeg encoders, and even a couple of free authoring programs.
    Total cost should be no more than about $30, but it's going to take huge amounts of time.
    If time doesn't matter, this is the cheapest way to go, and still retain most of the quality.
    If you added a couple of composite cables, one for video, and one for audio, you'll probably get slightly better quality.

9. jkeeton

jkeeton Member

Thanks Reboot! I was thinknig I could spend a little more than that. Time is not that big of a deal. I would do it overnight. What about a dvd recorder? Walmart has the Ilo for $130. Or is there still better ways with PC for under this $130 mark? The quality is more important than the time. Do you think my PC is suffient enough for this stuff?

10. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

If quality is the deciding factor, even the way I mention above will give great results, far better than the Ilo.
    Best quality would be from a TBC such as the Canopus ADVC-110 or 300.

11. jkeeton

jkeeton Member

thanks again. Could you help. I have a cyberhome burner and have been backing up movies no problem with decrypter and shrink on sony dvd+r 1x-4x. Tonight I tried 1x-8x and am getting an error about 90% burned using nero? #26 cdr-1135 File Writer.ccp Line 304 Write error?
    Then it goes on to writers idle and finally writing stopped or something like that. Never had any trouble with 4x. I set the burn speed for 4x on the 1x-8x. That is when I get the trouble?

12. jkeeton

jkeeton Member

ok. I just got one to burn at 8x, which means I can only burn at the max speed of the media I am using. This same thing happened on Memorex media also. If i choose to burn slower than the max I get errors? If I choose 8x or max speed on an 8x it works fine. Same with the 4x. I tried 2.4x on the 4x, which is the slowest mine will do. ERROR! I would like to use these 1x-8x sony's I have left. If not I can stay with the 4x(harder to find). Help if you can. This kinda sucks!

13. jkeeton

jkeeton Member

one last thing.. I burned an ISO image with Decrypter at 4x on these sony 1x-8x discs? My ps2 won't read it but my Apex player will. My ps2 read the 8x burned with nero(mentioned above) and also reads the sony 4x burned with nero. So, Its probably not the Media, its the ISO for the ps2. I would say its NERO! Please help. How do I fix? Thanks

14. jkeeton

jkeeton Member

hope I am not asking too many questions. If you are not sure about the burn speed thing, that's ok. The ones I burn at 8x seem to play fine with no errors(so far) on my ps2 and player. I will get the 4x from now on if it can't be solved.

Can you recommend a great TV/capture card,encoded,authorer?
    As you know from above I have decrypt,shrink,and Nero.

You have been a great help! Thanks for your time!

15. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Check Nero for updates. I have never had this issue with burn speeds...although I always burn as fast as the media will allow.
    If it works, why slow it down?

A "great" capture card is a matter of opinion. I swear by my Hauppauge PVR-250's, and would only purchase Hauppauge hardware encoder cards.
    Authoring is software, and the only things I use are DVDLab Pro, and Scenearist.

16. jkeeton

jkeeton Member

thanks again! I have heard that you get more errors burning movies faster than 4x. I haven't had any with the sony. So, you're right. If it works-burn it!

I have a question about the above. You said capture and encoder card. Do I need 2 separate cards? Or can I just get a capture and use software(Nero or Shrink etc.. ) to encode? then burn.

17. jkeeton

jkeeton Member

another thing.. Is my pc fast enough to capture at full resolution? You know the quality is important to me. I am reading other posts and I see you recommended cards with a certain chip in it for around the $20 range. Will these cards with that chipset capture close to the same quality of the VHS? If it is possible with my pc and a $20-$30 card, could you recommend a combo of - capture card, encoder, etc... to get me going? Thanks.

18. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Most capture cards rely on your computers CPU and software to encode.
    The Hauppauge PVR cards do not. They have built in hardware encoders, so no, you don't need 2 cards.
    With a $20 card, you MAY be able to do full D1 (dvd size) captures...no guarantees.
    With a PVR-250, you can do it on a P3 600mhz.
    If you get a cheap card, you will have to encode all the video from avi to mpg. I doubt you'll be able to capture directly to mpeg-2 at full D1. This adds between 3 and 40 hours, per hour of captured video, to the whole process.
    All it takes is 2 or 3 dropped frames, and audio sync will go out.
    Generally with a cheap card, you would capture at 320x240, or maybe 352x480 max. Not the best quality.
    Your mileage may vary.

19. jkeeton

jkeeton Member

the hauppauge looks good. They have a 150 also. what's difference ? Also, what about macrovision?

20. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member