1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TRUE 1-to-1 pixel ratio?? HELP!

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by 340HP, Jan 12, 2005.

1. 340HP

340HP Member

The new Epson Livingstation 57" HDTV set comes with a DVI interface, which ***SHOULD*** display a PC DVI signal like a PC monitor, 1-to-1 pixel, allowing TRUE 1280 x 720 resolution.

Case it is, that the Epson doesn't do that. It takes the DVI signal, butchers it up, and sends it to the screen overscanned about 5%. In essence, it cuts off a substantial amount of video data. To see the "whole" picture, you have to tweak the resolution on the PC to approx 5% less than 1280 x 720, resulting in nasty interpolation, greatly reducing image quality. (It's like trying to display 800 x 600 on a 1024 x 768 TFT monitor.)

I am returning the Epson, since there is no way to defeat the crappy design.

I need help - in choosing an HDTV 60" or more "monitor" that displays TRUE DVI 1-to-1 pixel ratio. No tuner needed. Can be rear projection. Can be plasma, although my butdget is limited.

Thanks in advance.

2. bajtra

bajtra Member

the problem is more likely your video drivers rather than the epson. If you have an nvidia card, download the latest drivers Jan 8th 2005 I think, and it has overscan control and HDTV settings. This fixed my overscan problem.

3. 340HP

340HP Member

Nope. I have the latest drivers, even non-release beta ones.

Check your resolution - you will notice that it's no longer 1280 x 720, but something less (about 5%). I can fix the overscan by reducing the resolution as well, but remember, that what the TV does is interpolate the image, resulting in a nasty display.

4. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

I would just go for a projector and a screen. They interface nice with a PC and are a LOT esier to move in than a 60" TV. Plus with the price of them these days you can get one that displays a picture better than the last TV you bought even in daylight. Not to mention that the TV was prolly over $2000, and you can get a descent projector for $1000, or a good one for $2000

Thats just my opinion. Maybe you already looked at that route and decided it wasnt for you. But that is going to be my next purchase.

5. 340HP

340HP Member

I have not considered a projector. Generally, I know they're not nearly as bright as either rear-projection or plasma TVs and thus require massive room darkening.

I'm going to visit a friend at a hi-end store tonight. I'll review my options.

Thanks for the tip.

6. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

I am sure there are still debates on picture clarity and brightness of a projector, but there are certain advantages.

1) you get a better veiwing angle than ANY projector TV will give you.

2) You dont get those bright spots facing directly to you and then darker portions to where you are sitting

3) everyone in the room can see it no matter where they are sitting

4) you dont need to invite your kids football team over to help you move it to the basement

5) no one would ever know that you even have a TV in the room until the screen was rolled out of the roof.

6) You can always take it with you when you want to have a superbowl party at somebody elses house.

7) if you find that 60" is too small for a screen just back it up 1 foot and learn to deal with a maximum of 10 feet for your screen

8) there is more too

Sure there are disadvantages as well.

You cant be using it in direct sunlight.

Basically antyhing at about 1500+ lumens will work well in most light conditions.

But deff give them a try and see some different ones. You may be surprized how far they have come in the past couple years. If you have the money a 4000+ lumen one is even better.