1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

True 5.1 surround sound explaination

Discussion in 'Audio' started by james636, Apr 10, 2007.

1. james636

james636 Member

First off, this is what I'm working with at the moment:

Durabrand 5.1 Home Theater Speaker System

Now let me spit out what I believe to be so about True 5.1 output. First you must have a movie that has AC3 Dolby Digital tracks availible. Then you must connect your hardware to be used to output a digital Track. It is to be connected by either digital coax or Optical_Digital. Please, if I'm inaccurate about anything I mentioned, don't hesitate to set me straight :yes:

My question is, how can a system claim to have 5.1 surround sound but only have regular rca analog inputs :blink: Don't get me wrong, the systems sounds pretty decent and I'm not the least bit disapointed, I just need to know am I missing something here?

Please enlighten me.

2. freakFlag

freakFlag Member

Did you by chance see that audio system is under $40? LMAO

You have got it right ... it is not a true 5.1 system. A true 5.1 system would have as you had mentioned a digital connection or optical. But new systems and motherboards do have a jack assignment option that allows three or four connections. One jack for front, one for back, one for center and sometimes one for the subwoofer.

So, this is not a true 5.1 system but its five speakers will surround you and with some tweaking you can control or emulate surround sound.