1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

True widescreen on StarView is it possible?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by bigweeve, Jul 3, 2007.

1. bigweeve

bigweeve Member

I have just bought and installed a StarView box and in general I am delighted with how easy setup has been. However I do have couple of issues that I can not find the answer to with a forum search and could do with a little help.

Firstly do I have a clone or not? I have had a close look at all the pictures etc. on the clone id pages but I am baffled. I have a pink box (which should be gen), a new style remote (the same) and a properly printed user guide - all these things look good. However on opening the box it looks like the picture of the clone. So I may have some kind of mongrel set-up. If I ask the machine to reveal its system details it says:

API ver : 3.00e_E
    Boot ver : 7.0
    27.May.2007

Is this the version 3 that everyone mentions on the forum? If so can I install version 4 and what benefits will I get? I am obviously worried about bricking my machine so any advice would be welcome.

Secondly, will changing to a different firmware sort out my widescreen problem? I have a crt widescreen tv (can't afford a flatscreen yet) but I can't seem to get the Starview to output a true widescreen picture. The nearest I can get is by setting the output to RGB and the aspect ratio to what it calls letterbox - but then I have to set my TV to Zoom 16:9 which obviously reduces the image quality. Any help with this would be most welcome. Both my old NTL box and my Sky digibox were able to deal with this fine allowing the TV to autodetect the aspect ratio of the broadcast and auto adjust as necessary - I want my Star View to do the same - surely it must be possible.

As I said any help would be most welcome.

Cheers,
    Steve.

2. whippet1

whippet1 Member

Dont load v400 on unless your sure its an original box or it will kill it.

as its been loaded with v257 it would suggest the seller knows its a clone and so has loaded clone safe software onto it, I recently went to a computer fair were a bloke was selling cloned boxes in original starview boxes as originals.

if you post a picture of the rear of your box the lads on here will be able to tell you if you have bought a clone or not.

at the end of the day youve got a box giving you loads of stuff it doesnt matter if its clone or real as long as it does the job.

as for the picture ratio its just one of those things, I flick between settings on my tv that sorts it for me as i flick through if it needs changing.

3. LeslieB71

LeslieB71 Regular member

Looking at the front of the SV , is the scart lead on the left or right ?

Also count many vents you have on top 18 or 25 ?

Supply both answers if possible .

4. bigweeve

bigweeve Member

Thanks for the info guys, though it doesn't sound very promising.

The box has 18 slots and when viewed from the FRONT the scarts are on the left. And yes, I did buy it at a computer fair, so it looks like I've bought a clone doesn't it.

By the way how can you tell that it is v257 software from the info that I have given?

The widescreen issue really bugs me I have to say - is this a general Star View problem or is it different depending on which firmware you have installed.

Cheers,
    Steve.

5. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Does sound like you have a clone. Please put the fixed 2.57au api on as your Starview has version 3 on it, lets just say not good for a clone. You will find it here:

257 Fixed AU firmware courtesy of Ryan
    http://www.speedyshare.com/701502769.html

With regards to TV aspect ratio on SV here is a comprehensive document on the issue.

TV SETTINGS

http://www.mediafire.com/?29w2judguze

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  6. bigweeve

bigweeve Member

Thanks for that.

Is there a post on here that gives detailed instructions about installing firmware?

Cheers,
    Steve

7. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Here you go http://www.mediafire.com/?d9jlsj2wyzj

8. bigweeve

bigweeve Member

Thanks sc0user,I'm all sorted with the aspect ratio now - who would have thought that it would be as simple as changing to fullscreen then turning the machine off and on again on the back. As soon as I did that everything worked perfectly and the tv now detects the correct aspect ratio for the channel and switches automatically. It has also sorted out problems I was having with sound and the tv antenna channel not working perfectly. Brilliant!

With regard to the firmware problem, as it seems to be working fine now with the v3 that it came with I am reluctant to mess. What advantage is there, if any, in switching to a different version?

Thanks everyone for all your help.
    Steve.

One more thing I'm not too sure of is whether my machine will autodetect when the codes change or whether I will have to wait for them to be posted and enter them manually. Also how often do they change the codes?

9. whippet1

whippet1 Member

Hi mate,

seriously you need to load the v2.57 the v300 thats on iot will definatly kill it after its been running for a few days, mine took 15 days before the cloned box died running v300.

10. LeslieB71

LeslieB71 Regular member

Deffo is a clone , the 2.57 below will auto update the key codes for you when they change and it could be a week, a day or even an hour , nobody knows , It could change anytime , You will also need a null modem cable ( 9pin female to 9 pin female ) and the GT Rom Loader to tranfer the file to your SV .

257 Fixed AU firmware courtesy of Ryan
    http://www.speedyshare.com/701502769.html

gt rom loader courtesy of Ryan http://www.speedyshare.com/513522792.html

11. bigweeve

bigweeve Member

Thank you all very much for your help. I've installed 2.57AU and all is now working perfectly.

Cheers,
    Steve.

12. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Glad to hear that :)