1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TrueHd From Blu Ray TItle

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by lost33, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Jarvis3

Jarvis3 Member

Thank you for the info. Although I believe the blue light and display go off only for the "Pure Audio" mode. I have no problem with the receiver. It's great. I just expected it to read PCM on it's display and get the raw PCM from my player. But the Dolby Digital from my player sounded incredible compared to the supposed PCM.. It shouldn't be this difficult.

2. lost33

lost33 Member

Somethings wrong here..it should sound great..unforunately my Blade runners set are on HD, not Blu Ray and my 805 see the raw bitstream and sounds great.

I watched 3 BD movies over the weekend with the BDps300 set to AUTO in the HDMI and all three showed Multi PCM. This should mean that the decode was being done in the BD player...

I use nothing but the hdmi cables now...the optical and coax are gone.

lost33

3. Jarvis3

Jarvis3 Member

Yes, I only use HDMI cables also. When the player is set to auto it reads Dolby Digital on the Onkyo display. When I have the player set to PCM, it reads Direct on my Onkyo. Nothing says Multichannel or PCM on the Onkyo's display.

4. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Yes, you are right that mode is called pure audio. Please excuse my mistake there. I just assumed that is what you were referring to.

I will have a look at that Receiver when I go into work today and I will get back to you later.

5. Jarvis3

Jarvis3 Member

Last night I tried it again. This time I got down close to look at the Onkyo's readout. In the smallest type, were the letters PCM. I could have used a magnifying glass. Then I scrolled through the listening modes and chose MULTICHANNEL. Success! Incredible rich, full sound. I was watching Spiderman 3 and I had the choice of both Dolby TruHD or Uncompressed PCM 5.1. I did notice that the Uncompressed PCM 5.1 was a bit more expansive and louder for that matter than the Dolby TruHD. But both were very good.
    Question: If I play a disc with DTS Master audio on it, will my Bluray player be able to feed it through to my Onkyo amplifier in PCM, just as it does with Dolby TruHD?

6. lost33

lost33 Member

Yes, it will feed, but because the 300/301 doesnt decode Master Audio it will be less than that. The 300/301 cant bitstream this stuff...its in PCM mode or in the decode that it does support..this is why i and many others are thinking of selling and upgrading so we can get ALL codecs either internal or bitstream so we can choose whether the player or the receiver does the magic...

its only $$$$

lost33

7. Jarvis3

Jarvis3 Member

Thanks so much, Lost33.

8. lost33

lost33 Member

Your Welcome....I am torn between selling the 300 I have and getting a Panny BD35 or 55...OR waiting on OPPO for their first Blu Ray player but this new Oppo looks like over $500 pricepoint from what I can gather from them...

Lost33

9. tinner45

tinner45 Member

I have a problem with a compacq computer I bought in Jan., When I insert a blu-ra disc in my computer. It shows no disc. Any ideas why? Tinner