1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to Backup Halo

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Billiam, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Billiam

Billiam Guest

I am trying to backup Halo (PC). I am using clonecd and it backs it up but when I try to install it comes up with an error about a .cab file not found or able to extract.

I go to microsoft and try the suggestions to no avail, what next?

Also, I have the original and tried it also and it does the same so I don't think it is the backup..

Thanks,

billiam

2. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

Your antivirus or firewall may be preventing you from opening the cab file. It may see it as a security risk.
    Make sure you are not connected to the internet and disable them, then try to install the game again.
    Don't forget to turn them on again later though.

3. Billiam

Billiam Guest

Ok I will try that, but I am pretty sure I had them off but what the heck..

billiam

4. Billiam

Billiam Guest

Ok, I gave it a shot and it did not work again.

Here is the exact note:

"Setup failed to extract files from f:\filescab\cab3\cab. this is most likely caused by low memory (low disk space for file swapping) or a corrupt cab file."

My F disk is a 40gb with only 10gb used, so I am not sure what else to do, my "c" drive (main) is relatively full and that is why I am using my "f" disk.

Any other suggestions?

Billiam

5. Xian

Xian Regular member

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=245063
    There is a variety of things that can cause that error. It's posssible that CloneCD didn't copy it perfectly too, some of the newer Safedisc protections can only be copied by specific burners.

Try installing it on another pc, a friends or whatever to determine if it is just a bad copy or what. Also does the original give you that same error? If it doesn't it again points to a flaky copy.

6. Billiam

Billiam Guest

Thanks, I have went to microsofts site and tried several things there.

I tried with the original disk and the backup copy, I have had this game for awhile I uninstalled it to clear up space and now the kids want to play it again so I am trying to get it up and running.

What now?

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

Is the original disc clean and scratch free? Maybe the error skip feature when using the Safedisc profile is also skipping a damaged/scratched area?

8. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Read the image of the Safedisc cd protection slow at 4x and burn slow at 4x. If you didn't purchase a legal copy, we can't further assist you m8.

9. Billiam

Billiam Guest

I will give that a go around..

What about the problem that I am having with the original disk? (Which I have M8) it is doing the exact same thing at the exact same point, it gets to 35% and then has the above mentioned error.

Any other assistance is greatly apprecaited.

Billiam

10. DSSDOG

DSSDOG Member

Yup Same damn problem over here 2 and it's really pissin me off lmao i'm installing on a new pc with no firewalls or antivirus on it yet, shoot it aint even online yet.. now what..?

"Setup failed to extract files from f:\filescab\cab3\cab. this is most likely caused by low memory (low disk space for file swapping) or a corrupt cab file."

11. DSSDOG

DSSDOG Member

OK Update I tried it out on a different comp and No problems installed with out BS message... any suggestions..?

12. Billiam

Billiam Guest

Well, I still have not been able to install it, still get the same error whether I am using the backup or the original disk.

I have tried everything that microsoft has suggested and it still does not work...

I am gonna try some more but if someone can help that would be great...

Billiam

13. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Appears maybe your burning too fast? If so slow down burn to 4x. Try different brand media and be sure to read the pc protected game image at 4x as well :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]MSI KT6V-LSR MS-7021
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (OC'd to 3200+)
    1 Gig Corsair XMS PC3200 (OC'd DDR500)
    MSI MS Starforce nVidia GeForce FX5500(256 DDR)
    Maxtor ATA\133 200 gig
    Lite-ON LTD165H DVD-ROM
    Lite-ON LDW411S DVD-Burner[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2004