1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to build pc but running into some probs

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by erkrow22, Nov 14, 2009.

1. erkrow22

erkrow22 Member

I have a couple issues with what im doing. I's my first time and the documenation that came with the stuff isn't that detailed. Problems include
    1. The graphics card says to disable the motherboard's onboard graphics. Im not sure what to do with this or how to tell.
    Motherboard- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128378
    Graphics card- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102858

2. Regarding the motherboard, I had heard you may have to switch the voltage from between 110 and 220 by flipping something a switch on the motherboard but there is no documentation or even a switch.

2. jony218

jony218 Guest

When the computer first starts to bootup press and hold the "delete" key, this gets you into the BIOS, this is usually a blue color screen where you can disable the onboard video. But on the newer motherboards the default for this is "auto", this means if the motherboard detects an PCI-e video card is installed it will use that automatically.

For the 110/220 power (it's a sliding switch), that is only located in the back of the power supply. That is the only place you set it. There is no switch on the motherboard that has to be set.

3. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

That mainboard does not have onboard video, don't worry about question 1.

The switch would be on the back of the power supply if it was there...near where you plug the fat, black power cable into. If it isn't there, then you cannot change it. Also, some cheaper power supplies do have the switch, but the power supply only works with one of the settings.

4. erkrow22

erkrow22 Member

Ok cool thanks for the replies jony218 and KillerBug.

Other questions I have is and Im assuming this is ok. I hooked up the dvd drive and the hdd on the same sata cable and power cord to the psu. Thats ok right? And the cases front I/o cirds are all hooked except for 1 that says speaker on it and in the case there is another what to me looks like its suppose to provide power to something. heres a small pic for both http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/7800/38349585.jpg

Lastly when connecting the graphics card to the lcd do I use the top or bottom port? I dont know if it matters so I might as well ask.
    Heres a small pic http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/7434/74409417.jpg

Thanks again guys

5. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

1.) You can connect both drives to one SATA power cable; that's why there are two (probably more). Of course, data cables are one-drive only with SATA.

2.) The red-black-black-yellow cable is probably the power for the front fan, plug it in. You don't need to connect the speaker, if you even have one. If you do, I would pull it...no reason to have an electro-magnet around hard drives.

3.) Connect to either port, the card will autodetect anyway, it makes no difference.

6. erkrow22

erkrow22 Member

Well at this point im not sure what to do. I hooked everything up exept for the small plugs that KillerBug thought was for the front fan and the thing will not power on when I push power on the case. the only thing I could think of was that it was part of the plug I didnt put anywhere but it looks to me like they go on lights to the front of the case. Im totally lost on what to do. Any help would be great as this point

7. erkrow22

erkrow22 Member

8. erkrow22

erkrow22 Member

9. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

Did you turn on the power switch on the pack of the PSU? Did you run the Power Switch wires from the front case switch to the two small pins on the motherboard? Do the fans come one? Do any lights come on the motherboard? Did you connect the 8-pin power cable from the PSU to the motherboard? Did you connect the 6-pin PCI-E power cable from the PSU to the graphics card?

Dick

10. erkrow22

erkrow22 Member

Yeah I powered the psu switch on and put the orange and white cord to the correct pins on the front panel header. I dont think the fans came on. I had the case cloased when I booted but I didnt hear anything. And I did hook the power from the graphics card to the psu(u can see it in my thrid pic) and yeah connected both power things from the motherboard to the psu.

The things is when I hit the switch for the psu to be on the LED light in the front of the case was blinking but when turned on the LCD there was no image to be displayed and went blank. Also when I physically pushed the button nothing happened at all.

11. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Disconnect all the front panel stuff except the power switch and see if it works like that, you might have a stuck or defective button, or even a mislabeled LED.

12. erkrow22

erkrow22 Member

Ok I only had the orange and white power sw plugged in there was no LED on this time and I had the case open and the only thing moving was the case fans. They were ticking along.

13. erkrow22

erkrow22 Member

Check that. the fans werent moving it was more like they were twitching

14. erkrow22

erkrow22 Member

Also if anyone could answer me these questions it would ease my mind alot. There is no way the motherboard or psu could be fried right? I mean if the LED light(front panel) comes on then that means the motherboard should still be functional right? Same with the PSu if it wasnt out putting any power at all the LEd wouldnt come on right? Sorry for pasting so much Im kinda stressed over this like I should have known this would happen.

15. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

The twitching fan intrigues me. I am assuming this is the processor cooling fan. Which fan header is it plugged into? Do you have a VOM (Volt-Ohm Meter) available?

What kind of memory are your using? Which memory slots are they/it plugged into? Do you have a way of verifying that the power socket in the wall is wired correctly?

At this stage there are not any stupid questions--from either of us--so is the board screwed into the nine-or-so small brass standoffs, not flat against the bare case wall?

Since you are at the point of trying drastic things, I would suggest you reserve a quiet hour and remove everything from the mother board EXCEPT:

Memory
    Processor
    Processor cooling fan
    24-pin power plug from the PSU
    6- or 8-pin power plug from the PSU
    The power switch wires from the front panel (If your board contains a built-in Power push button, then I would remove the power switch wires, too)

Unplug the PSU from the wall. Unplug all of the SATA, IDE, ATA, USB and Firewire connections from the board.

Unplug all of the power connections to the HD, CDROM and everything else.

Remove your video and any other cards. You should now have a naked motherboard with minimal connections.

Now, start by plugging in the PSU to the wall and if it has an on/off switch, turn it ON. The fans should *not* turn on, but you should see at least one or two LEDs on the board come on.

Next, power up the board using the front panel switch or the on-board Power button and see if the fan is still twitchy. If it is still twitchy or doesn't run, try plugging it into different fan headers on the board. If it doesn't run at all, try a different fan. If you can't get any of the fans to run above a twitch, if you have a VOM I would measure the voltages in one of the big four-pin Molex power plugs. Two of the four wires are ground and one of the other wires should measure 5-volts between it and ground and the other should measure 12-volts between it and ground.

If the fan does run at a normal speed then something else is either shorted or causing an excessive current draw. One at a time, turn off the board, turn off the PSU, plug in ONE of the other things you unplugged, turn the PSU back on, turn the board back on, and then check to see if the fan continues to run normally. If it doesn't, then there is something wrong with whatever you just plugged back in. If it does, then repeat the process: board off, PSU off, plug something else back in to the motherboard, PSU on, board on, check fan.

Hopefully, I would hope by this process of elimination you can locate whatever is causing the trouble. Also, while you have everything disconnected like this, this would be a good time to borrow a different PSU to see if that is the source of your problem.

For your first build this has to be unbelievably frustrating. With patience (and a little luck), you should be able to isolate the cause of your problem.

Dick

16. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Fans "ticking" is a symptom of a crap power supply. The fact that it does not even have a 110/220 switch indicates as much anyway. Get yourself a quality power supply and hope that you didn't damage any of the system components.

17. erkrow22

erkrow22 Member

No the processor fan wasn't moving at all.

my memory is corsair ddr3. an yeah the plug I put into it works fine.

Yeah I screwed in all the standoffs to the case layed the motherboard over them and them screwed them down so they aren't sitting on the case.

Actually I had this dude come over and take a look at it for free. and He said I hooked up everything properly. He took everything out of the case and tried powering the motherboard from on top of the anti-static wrap by just inserting the "case's power switch" and nothing tuened on still.He said it was probaly not the motherboard but it oculd be and more likely it was the psu or the case wiring to the power switch was faulty. He said I should go to like fryes and buy a new case/psu to test and see if the other parts area working.

Btw no matter what I do I cant get anything to move or do anything but the "Case" fans not the cpu fan to twitch or have the front panels LED blink

18. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Get yourself a nice Corsair.

19. erkrow22

erkrow22 Member

Ok I will. SOmeone told me the PSU didnt have enought power. Odd.

Also I got my hands on another case. Does it seem wise to try and boot the thing up just to see if the thing works or just forget it now?

20. erkrow22

erkrow22 Member

Ok I put the Motherboard in the new case and hit the power button and the cpu fan started spinning. I only had 1 stick of ram in. nothing else but psu and motherboard.

So the problem had to have been the damn case from before.

btw there was kind of a funny smell but it might have been just cause the thing is new Im assuming.

he only question really left for me to try and asemble the thing is whether or not my psu is big enough for my whole set up.

Any suggestions on whether or not I need a BIGGER psu or just a better quality one?