1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to burn DVD+Rs coming out as beer mats.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ryanreed, Mar 2, 2004.

1. ryanreed

ryanreed Member

Right, another trouble to add to the list! I burned an RW that was a fail - said no disc inserted after I burnt it... So it can't find a disc - can't format the RW and try again... Should I take this heap of junk back to the shop and trade it in for another DVD Writer or change media to Verbatim Metal ??? Tried upgrading the firmware with success but still no luck burning. Should I try burning a data DVD instead of a video ?

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

That's the first thing I would do, the firmware updates (have done 2) for my burner made a huge difference with media compatability.

3. ryanreed

ryanreed Member

Yeah - I put in my last post I upgraded the firmware - I've just tried using DVDInfoPro with the last DVD I tried writing (back on DVD-R as I don't want to waste the DVD-RWs) and it found the disc - which it didn't before.

It even shows how much space has been taken up with the recording... Yet windows doesn't find the disc and Nero verification said there was no files on the disc after burning!

Confused! You bet I am!

4. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,

[bold]ryanreed:[/bold]
    I buy my disks from a local computer shop (3 mins walk from me), as he will get me what I want (cheaply too).

Some of the problem may be that the session is not being closed, or the disk is not being closed.

There is a function in Nero that will allow that, I believe it is:
    Recorder -> Medium-Info
    the programs then shows the disk structure

look for an open session
    it can then be closed (I think, it is a LONG time since I had that kind of problem).

If that is the problem, closing the session/disk should allow windows to see the contents of the disk.

If that works, it is a STRONG indication that all is not well with your Nero, or the way you are using it is flawed (use NO MULTISESSION).

If burning a Data DVD works, then it is youy procedure for burning Video DVD that is at fault.

Hope this helps...
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is just more of the same:[/small]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2004
  5. ryanreed

ryanreed Member

Horahhh! I have had success - It seems after I updated the firmware the region code was unset - after I set the region to 2 - even though the firmware sets the DVD drive to all regions the previously recorded Memorex disc now works in my computer and 1 of 2 of my standalone DVD players which is a Toshiba model. Just one final question... In my Mustek standalone DVD player the on-screen text that comes up when you insert a disc said Loading.... Then that changed to CD-DA ; by this I take it the DVD player is not finding a DVD yet this type of CD... Anyone know what could be done to fix this problem ????

I owe thanks to DaOsT, Nephilim, ScubaPete, & MysticE.

Special thanx to drchips for all your quick replies and help mate - Finally got a working DVD-RW!!!

I will use my knowledge to help out other peeps now!

Thanks once again guys...

ryanreed.

6. drchips

drchips Active member

OK,

What was it that enabled the success?

Closing a Session/Disk in Nero?
    A different setting in Nero?
    Different media?
    Different procedure?
    Firmware flash?

As to the problem of the Mustek player...

It may be it is not happy with the ReWritable media (a noticable number of players are not happy with RW, but quite happy with R - go figure!!), you will just have to experiment.

It may have problems with + media, some players don't support + very well.

It may be one of those unfortunate players that is just not happy with Region 0 (no region in other words) encoded disks.

It may even be one of those players that won't play recordable media at all (VERY RARE nowadays).

Some feedback re: the questions as above, please...

Have Fun...

7. MysticE

MysticE Active member

I agree it's probably just the player. My old Sampo will only play -R Princo burns (go figure), no RW's or any premium media. My newer Sampo 612N will play anything I throw at it... jpegs, mpegs, any burned disc including RW's and PAL discs. My new JVC plays everything except the mpeg's and the PAL discs. A friend has a Sampo 612N he bought before me and it will not play RW's (?). The ability to play RW's does come in handy for testing.

8. ryanreed

ryanreed Member

drchips - It seemed to be the Firmware Flash update which I found here.... http://etna.rpc1.org/nec/
    Although it was a right pain making a bootable CD-ROM as I don't have a floppy drive to flash the new firmware it was worth it in the end =)

As for the Mustek player - I hadn't flashed the drive before I burnt the disc that works in the other one, so the disc is set to region 2 - and the Mustek player is region free also, so that shouldn't matter.

I'll try burning on one of the Verbatims I purchased on Sunday and see how that turns out in there.

Its not the main problem at the minute anyhow - Most DVDs i'll be watching on the player that has no problems so far !

drchips - As for the session closing in Nero - I was just trying out your idea of this by putting an old burn i'd completed in the drive to run a Nero info scan on it, when it all of a sudden came to life and started playing in WinDVD, so it must have been the firmware problem, but your idea became my solution!

=)

reedy.