1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to combine multiple methods

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by tapsevarg, Nov 9, 2009.

1. tapsevarg

tapsevarg Member

Alright here's my situation.

I have a softmodded original Xbox with XBMC and such. It was just done. And it is not working correctly.

So it looks like I might need to reinstall. I had nothing but problems with the Xbox before the hack and XBMC were installed. I was going to upgrade the HDD as it was. So I figure why not do both. And in the process avoid contaminating the new HDD.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  2. tapsevarg

tapsevarg Member

I think I can get more specific. Judging by one of the tutorials I read, XBOXHDM allows you to create an Xbox HDD from scratch. This is what I want to do.

So according to this guide, I can do it: Make Larger Xbox HDD

So it appears as though I need 3 things to do this. I need the eeprom.bin (which I have). And I need the C and E partitions from the current HDD. Now I want a brand new clean install. I have no idea what are in those files. Is there something in those partitions that I need for the new HDD?

NOW, can I buld the HDD from scratch without having to hack it afterwards/install XBMC later? Can I plant the hack and XBMC before I use XBOXHDM to create the new HDD? I am really trying to avoid performing the hack again, as I think that corrupted the current HDD and the problems followed.

Hopefully I have made myself more concise.

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

4. tapsevarg

tapsevarg Member

Alright, here's my next problem. I have given up on attempting to perform the hack/XBMC install outside of the XBOX.

So my issue is that I'm running Ubuntu. I'm trying to make the HBOXHDM disc. But I can't seem to make the iso. I follow the instructions, but I am told I don't have permission. I can't execute the ./make-iso-lin.sh

Any clue how to get this working?

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I haven't ever bothered to try any of this under linux but i guess you might need make the script executable ie 'chmod +x make-iso-lin.sh' (i have my xboxhdm files in front of me but haven't got a linux machine switched on at the moment to check) and as you're using Ubuntu you might have to use sudo to run the script.
    Or the script might already be executable in which case you just need to run it via sudo (check via ls -l). You can also just 'cat' the script to see what's inside it ie it's running mkisofs with a load of switches..

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  6. scum101

scum101 Guest

sounds about right. Last time I looked the .sh wasn't executable... not that I ever bothered with this method apart from a quick test.. I have chips to make commercial hdd replacement a viable and quick money making option back in the day.

7. tapsevarg

tapsevarg Member

At some point in time... you would think I would give up. But no.

OK. I make the XBOXHDM disc.

So I disconnect my computer's HDD. I put the xboxhdm disc in drive. I connect the new XBOX HDD. I restart the computer.

So XBOXHDM boots up. I press 1 for VGA and press enter. SO FAR SO GOOD. I type xboxhd and press enter. PROBLEM!

So it starts pumping out these errors:
    mount: Mounting /dev/hda on /xboxhdm failed: invalid argument
    looking for CD-ROM in /dev/hdb...
    mount: Mounting /dev/hdb on /xboxhdm failed: no such device or address

It does this all the way down to /hdt
    And then tells me no Linux CD could be found.

WTF? Does anybody have a clue what is wrong?

8. tapsevarg

tapsevarg Member

Does anybody have any ideas what's wrong with the XBOXHDM disc? Am I doing something wrong?

9. Astradete

Astradete Member

I had a similar problem when i first started modding xbox's. i found at the time that it was to do with my motherboard not allowing it to work and i used a friends. but the problem may be caused by either a bad burn or the hard drive being faulty. when you built the iso did you use a sudo command in linux. if not try that. also there are several bat file readers for linux distro's and i would say try to compile a new iso using one of those. Hope this helps.

10. tapsevarg

tapsevarg Member

Thanks Astredete

I will try burning it with a Windows ISO burner. As I now have Windows on the computer.

This is actually my second time around with this exact sameproblem. Both times I had the same issues. And I think I burned one on windows and one on linux. Neither worked. But both tried using the same mobo.

So I would be assume your mobo suggestion might my best bet. I am sure the HDD is in perfect working order. Unfortunately, I don't think I know anybody who has a desktop anymore. I think everybody I know has a laptop or a mac mini. Odd. Five years ago the opposite would be true.

Everyone's help is greatly appreciated. I am starting to get fed up with all these roadblocks constantly thwarting progress. But the support makes a world of difference.

11. tapsevarg

tapsevarg Member

I've got a theory on the XBOXHDM malfunction.

I wonder if it matters whether the CD/DVD drive is SATA?

I have a SATA CD/DVD drive. And reading through the XBOXHDM instructions they talk like the DVD is hooked up via ATA cable. They say to make sure you have CD/DVD drive on cable select or something like that.

12. Astradete

Astradete Member

that is most likely the cause then my frind. it is looking for /dev/hda etc. they are ide ata drives. sata is usually /dev/sda etc. i would deinately try an ide ata cd/dvd drive as that very well could be your problem.