1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to convert a 1.38gb AVI to DVD, encountering a number of probs...pls help!

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Manofsnow, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Manofsnow

Manofsnow Member

Hi guys, before i start i would just like to say that it is my first time posting, and i think it is GREAT how many people take their time, to help solve people's problems, and i would like to thank people in advance for any help given!

Right, here we go.

I have downloaded an AVI that is 1.38gb in size, and is perfect quality. I want to burn it keeping as much quality as possible. I have followed one of the guides on here that told me to get various software. The software i needed was:

AVI Codec
    TMPGEnc
    IFoEdit (not really sure if i require this)

I have followed the guide, i ran AVI codec and fount that the fps was 23.976, i then ran TMPGEnc:
    > Chose DVD NTSC
    > CBR MPEG-1 Layer II Audio (MP2)
    > Selected the Video file, & it automatically selected the audio from the same file.
    > Selected the Rate Control mode: 2-pass VBR(VBR)
    > For the Motion Search Precision i selected Highest quality (Very Slow)
    > Set the video Res to 720 x 576

Now this is where the problem occurs. The % of disk capacity, is red and is set to 298.73%. The lowest i can set this to is 162.45%. The file is too large to fit onto the Media i have selected (DVD-R 4.7GB).

Could someone please help me? I do not mind splitting the film in half, and puttin it on 2 disks (do not know how).

Please note that i would love to keep the quality as HIGH as possible, and dont mind it taking 12 hours to complete.

Another problem, that i think may occur is, that i will be playing the DVD on a DVD player that supports PAL, not NTSC, will this cause a problem? If so please advise.

Thank you very much guys, SORRY that the post is so long but i wanted to be as thorough as possible.
    ANY help will REALLY be appreciated.

Thank you guys!!

2. thumper8

thumper8 Member

this is the exact problem i am having to. I hope someone can help!

3. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Encode as you like, no matter how large.
    Get DVD Remake to split to 2 dvdrs.

4. thumper8

thumper8 Member

Is that a type of software. Do you use that before encoding or after?

5. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Yes, it's software, google it.
    Use it AFTER you encode and author.