1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to create my own DVD from .wmv files

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Wham-O, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Wham-O

Wham-O Member

I have several large .wmv files that I want to author to a DVD. After reviewing many guides and articles I am still unsure of what is meant by DVD format versus MPEG-2 format.

What kind of video files do I need to have when using an author like Sonic myDVD or TMPGDec DVD Author, MPEG-2 or VOB, BUP, IFO? Do these files need to be demultiplexed or multiplexed? If demultiplexed, what file(s) should be added into the authoring program when inserting a video.

Since I have TMPGDec DVD Author, should I be using their encoder as well to make sure the files are compatible? Which encoding software would you recommend? I have .avi, mpeg, and wmv files to convert.

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Mpeg-2 is the video standard for DVD.
    A DVD is an mpeg-2 video that has been authored into the DVD structure.
    Any good encoder will make an mpeg-2 out of most formats.
    If you're going to use tmpgenc, you need the .wmv plugin. It's free, in the tools section at http://www.videohelp.com and probably on this site somewhere too.
    Sonic takes only .mpg (IIRC), TDA will take .mpg or the .m2v/mp2 elementary streams.

3. Wham-O

Wham-O Member

DVD structure is the VOB/IFO/BUP files correct? The conversion of the MPEG-2 to VOB/IFO/BUP is usually done behind the scenes in a DVD authoring program, right?

When I encode the .wmv video files into DVD/VCD/SVCD I get three output files, MPV, MP2 and MPG. I am using Advanced X Video Converter. It has the option to output to MPEG-2 and I get a single output file, .mpg. However, when I try to insert into myDVD, it says that it's in the PAL format. Which format should I be converting to if I'm using the an authoring program? If I should be using DVD/VCD/SVCD then which type of the three output files do I import into TMPGDec DVD Author?

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2005
  4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

PAL is the aspect ratio and framerate of a video for Europe, ready to author into DVD structure.
    If you're in North America, you should be using NTSC.