1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to find a frequency inverter from 50 Hz to 60 HZ

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by oracle, May 25, 2015.

  1. oracle

    oracle Member

    Nov 1, 2002
    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    If any one is able to lead me to a product for 220 VAC 50 Hz to 110 VAC 60 Hz it would be nice. The consumption is quite small ca. 300 Watts.

    Thank you all

  2. ps355528

    ps355528 Active member

    Aug 17, 2010
    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    300W is over 1A at 220v .. that's not "small" .. the only time you would need to "convert" 50Hz to 60Hz would be if the device used the mains frequency as some sort of "reference".. say a turntable motor or the like.. or possibly an old TV or similar.. generally everything else the frequency makes no difference whatsoever .. well it does, but electrically it's not really as important as people might think.. 60Hz at the same voltage has a 5% higher RMS value than at 50Hz when shoved through a rectifier.. but that just makes slightly (10%) more current available and a slightly higher rectified voltage.. but it's within the 10% allowed for power supply "sag" etc by any decent equipment designer.. so we ignore it..

    I'm thinking it's a vintage guitar amp??

    Now then.. the EASY way to convert 220v to 110v is to drop another device also needing 110v in series with the first.. or work out the current (300W) and the amount you need to "drop" 110v ..

    Or quick and dirty.. 3x100W bulbs in parallel .. they take 300W .. which will leave 110v for your device .. of course they are hot and bright.. lol

    What you really need is a 220 to 110 transformer.. or even better get the equipment professionally modified to work on your local power supply

    Dam link went walkies.. take care with mains power.. http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Droppers

Share This Page