1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to get better burns- where do I start?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Hawkins, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Hawkins

Hawkins Guest

I just purchased a brand new LiteOn DVD burner from my PC and tried it out on a few movies this afternoon.

I used the programs DVD Decrypter, DVD shrink, and Nero.

I was able to burn the three films I backed up to Verbatim DVD+R discs, but they didn't come out that great. On most players, the discs skip (usually if I've been skipping chapters, or start the films from the middle.)

The fact that my PS2 seems to have no problem at all with these discs suggests that my media is lousy. Say what you will about the PS2 as a DVD player, but it's great at playing through hard-to-read discs.

I suspect that most of my players just can't read the media very well, I'm not sure this is the problem. Any suggestions on how I can get better burns? Should I try DVD-R discs instead? Use different software?

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I got rid of my DVD player years ago because my PS2 plays DVDs to well...thats all I use now. Good medias are maxell, sony, tdk, and fuji

3. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

What speed do yo burn at? Try 4x or 2.4x. Does your burner support bitsetting? Try changing the booktype to DVD-Rom if possible.

4. Hawkins

Hawkins Guest

I've been burning at pretty high speed (8x), so I'll definitely try toning that down some.

I was wondering if I should try DVD-R discs instead- I recall hearing that they are more widely playable, but since the players I've tried are all pretty new, it doesn't seem like it should matter much. Any thoughts?

5. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Just out of curiosity, what brand of media have you been using?

6. Hawkins

Hawkins Guest

I've been using Verbatim 8x DVD+R discs.

7. Hawkins

Hawkins Guest

I just burned a disc at 4x, using the same discs. It seemed to turn out pretty well- I skipped through a few scenes and it kept up just fine on my most finicky player (A fairly new Toshiba). Maybe the problem's that simple?

8. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Glad it worked out. Does your burner support bitsetting?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005