1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to get surround sound

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by Puner, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Puner

Puner Member

Hello,

I got my xbox softmodded, and it has xbmc loaded on to it as my main dashboard. Now since i usually watch movies on xbmc, streaming from my television to my xbox I'm only getting sound in my front two speakers. Same goes for all my games.

What i want is surround sound for both movies AND games that i watch/play on xbmc.

2. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

what kind of setup do you have? what kind of surround sound reciever do you have. what kind of output are you using from your xbox? we need more info

3. Puner

Puner Member

Ok sorry about that.

I hate the Samsung HDMI Tall Boy theater in a box.

Here are the specs for it;

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddeta

My out from my xbox is all pretty normal. I got the video going to my Sony XBR LCD 52' television and the other (left and right) audio cables going to my Samsung Tall Boy system.

I can however hear the games and videos on the FRONT TWO towers of the surround sound but NOT the rear.

I can predict this is because the sound from xbox is ANALOG and not optical, which is what is needed to get the sound to be in all 5 speakers.

4. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Advanced AV Pack!

[​IMG]

5. Puner

Puner Member

What are the differences between the Advance AV Pack and the Xbox HDTV AV Pack?

6. steimy

steimy Active member

sorry, that link did not work but i have my Xbox running full surround. Mine has the video (component) cables running into the TV and the audio cables run to a surround sound receiver. Works perfectly fine without and extra cables.

7. Puner

Puner Member

I have that also.

The sound is just comes from my front two surround speakers, not all 5, which is what surround sound is.

And i doubt you have that.

8. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Yeah, you're not running 5.1Ch Surround Steimy! When you connect the AV pack, you can change the settings in the dash to allow for TRUE surround sound, same in XBMC! It's a considerable, noticible difference. My surround setup also has an AC3 and DTS decoder built in, so DivX and XviD sound is awesome!

As for the HDTV... isn't that for the 360?

9. Puner

Puner Member

I see. Well my system does have the DTS decoder, but not the AC3 decoder.

And the HDTV AV pack is for HDTV's (like mine) so they also upgrade video quality.

10. Puner

Puner Member

So i decided to get the HD AV pack since i have a LCD HDTV. Before i buy it what wires go into these holes?

[​IMG]

11. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

I don't have the version that you've provided, but mine has the following setup...

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure they're both the same except your one has the 'Y, Cr, etc' connections too. I use the optical (Digital) connection to enable surround 5.1ch. You also have to enable it in your dash!