1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to increase rip speed with Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by Commodus, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Commodus

Commodus Member

Hi,

New to this board but have burned a few DVDs successfully. I'm trying to understand why DVD Shrink rips so much slower than DVD Decrypter on my W2K computer. I have a Plextor 708 and hacked Toshiba 1712 and both rip at the same speeds. Decrypter just flies while Shrink does not. My system is a P4 1.6ghz with 512mb ram.

I have also tried to use Decrypter to rip DVD to hard drive and then use Shrink to re-author but it is still slow working from hard drive. So it seems that ripping from DVD and re-authoring from Hard drive react the same.

Now I also have 2 hard drives installed and both have W2K installed. One drive had the original wnaspi32.dll file on it while the other drive did not. Both drives or should I say both W2K O/S systems react the same when ripping.

So far I don't think the burners are the problem. I don't think W2K is the issue so I'm leaning towards Shrink as the issue but I read where so many others are achieving good rip speeds.

I also believe that longer movies will take more time to rip then a movie that requires no compression but how much time is reasonable is the question. Just looking for any guidance here. Thanks.

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Commodus,
    Shrink is doing a bit more work I suppose. What is your read speed?
    Checking my Pioneer A06 with the Infopro tool or Nero's drive speed checker utility, I get a read speed of 2.17X. My cheap Sony CRX 300 has a read speed of 5.68X.

I use the Sony for typical encode times using Shrink 3.1.4 of 15 to 25 minutes, without using "Deep Analysis".
    I.e. The Abyss title 1 & title 4; 7667 MB uncompressed; Compressed to 77.1% & 4,464 MB, rip time was 15 minutes, not using Deep Analysis. Burn time is 14.6 minutes at 4X.

Doing the same process using Shrink's Deep Analysis feature adds 17 minutes to the processing time.

The same rips performed with the Pioneer A06 result in times that reflect the speeds I mentioned above. A 15 minute rip using the Sony compared to a 35-40 minute rip using the Pioneer.

Cheers,
    Frank

3. Commodus

Commodus Member

I think using Shrink w/o compression greatly speeds up the process. When I did a non-compressed movie my Toshiba flew at 10x but when doing Saving Private Ryan (which requires heavy compression) it chugged at 2x.

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

IF you have to shrink the movie, it will definatly take longer to rip because it is compressing as it rips.

5. Shoey

Shoey Guest

6. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Also make sure DMA is enabled for your opticals.

7. mrbass

mrbass Member

If your ripping fast with no compression it definitely is a DMA issue as it's using your CPU to do the transfer I/O.