1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to install windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by MiesIhme, Apr 9, 2007.

1. MiesIhme

MiesIhme Guest

iam trying to install windowx xp but some why i cant do it. I tried to install it to 2 different computers, and to second one I installed it succesfully with no problems, but i would like to install it to first one instead.

From BIOS i made settings reboot from cd and this far all ok. Windows cd even actually start installing stuff and after that reboot is needed. After rebooting it should continue installing normally (like it did when i tried it to second computer) but some why it just start install SAME things i just instelled before rebooting and after installing those things AGAIN, computer need to be rebooted once again. And it keeps looping, while it actually should go on. Why?

I think there could be something wrong with my BIOS settings but dont know what..?

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

when i had this issue, it was due to a conflict between my ram and the bios on my motherboard. was this pc working just fine previously?

3. MiesIhme

MiesIhme Guest

It was used when i bought it, so i dont know. But iam pretty sure that its not 'broken' though.

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

well, the computer posts, right?

start by removing all the peripherals and hardware you don't need. extra hard drives, all ram but one stick, extra optical drives, etc etc, and see if you can get it to install that way. then you can put it back together, one piece at a time, til you find the source of the problem.

cleaning the ram's gold contacts is always a good idea. try a white rubber pencil eraser on them.

5. MiesIhme

MiesIhme Guest

i will try that. But i have heavy doubts if it will help anything... :/

It sound strange that hardware would do a such a things while installing windows..

Well, iam noob and i know nothing so i will try remove no-needed hardware :)

6. MiesIhme

MiesIhme Guest

Well removing noneeded hardware actually helped. I removed another harddisk and after that i had no probles while installing windows. Thanks :)

7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

good, good. happy to help. now, was that hard drive set to cable select, or are the jumpers set to master/slave as they normally should be? or could the drive just be dying? was it making clicking sounds? or feeling *very* hot?

8. MiesIhme

MiesIhme Guest

problem was s-ata harddisk. Windows can not be installed to it without right kind of drivers because motherboard cant find that harddisk. Those drivers can be installed at the same time when you install windows but i didnt know that. Infact i didnt even know i need somekind of drivers, i thought it would be just simple thing install windows like it has been always before.

Luckily i had 2 harddisks and had no problems while installing it to another one. Its funny that i was not even installing windows to that s-ata harddrive, but as long as it was joined to my motherboard, windows could not be installed even to another harddisk.

Even after windows installed, my computer couldnt 'find' that s-ata harddisk. Tried many things and finally those drivers helped :p

So if someone sometimes got same problem, get motherboard sata drivers :p

9. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

*nods* good, happy it's up and running.