1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying To Set Up HDTV 480i With Xbox 360

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by Xonos83, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Xonos83

Xonos83 Member

Hi there everyone. I just recently picked up a little 25" HDTV that goes up to 480I with component input. When I try and hook up my Xbox 360 to the TV with the component AV cable, everything's fine until I switch it from TV to HDTV. Once I do this, it goes all blurred and screwy.

In the display settings, it gives me options to switch to 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p. I have the menu memorized, so even if it's all blurred I can get around to change the settings. I've tried all 4 settings, and it's still all screwy.

I can give specs on the TV if that will help solve the problem. Just let me know!

Anyone have any ideas if maybe I'm doing something wrong, or any tips or help on the subject? I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

2. barricade

barricade Guest

480i is not supported on the 360. Sorry my friend :(

3. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Why are you switching from tv to hdtv?? 480i is standard broadcast, even if you have the worst tube tv this mode will be supported. Since your tv only supports 480i, turn off the hdtv mode and play your games in 480i, no need to adjust settings in the 360's menu.

4. barricade

barricade Guest

Ah I didn't know 480i was a standard broadcast. Whoever sold you that "HDTV" should be shot!

5. Xonos83

Xonos83 Member

Ohhh ok ok I see. It all makes sense now. No it wasn't sold to me as an HDTV. I actually got it at an auction for $30, lol. So no loss at all!! The HDTV thing was me having no knowledge, lol. I just figured since it had component input at 480i that it was hi-def.

That makes total sense. I've got the component plugs plugged in, and when it's set on TV the picture is clear as day. Which proves that 480i is in fact the standard broadcast. The fact that it's component and not RCA looks a lot sweeter, so I'm happy with that.

So it's not really hi-def, but it's a hell of a lot clearer and sweeter than RCA or s-video. For $30, can't complain!

Thanks guys for the help! Knowledge growing!