1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TS file won't play but MKV of same will

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by dt126, Jan 8, 2010.

1. dt126

dt126 Member

I'm hoping someone will be able to figure out what is going on for me. I'm trying to play large MPEG-TS files (blu-ray rips) with VC-1 video. Some of these TS files play in VLC (although others crash the program). None of them work in WMP, KMP, MPC, etc. (only sound comes through). I've tried using some of the TS conversion tools, such as HD video converter and TSPE but they do not work either. All of the above (except VLC) seem to be incorrectly identifying the video type (although they do show VC1 as the codec). TSPE lists it as 1080p resolution (which is correct) but also has a message that the codec is reporting 720p video (which is incorrect). I spent a lot of time messing with vc1 and other codec's when I discovered a solution. I was able to demux the TS files using TSMuxer and then re-package into an MKV using MKVMerge and the resulting MKV files play beautifully in ALL my applications.

So, I have a solution, but I'm trying to understand why this is happening. If I understand correctly, all I did was repackage the exact same video and audio streams into a different container, so something on my system is preventing the TS container from being read correctly by most of the programs I have installed. Any ideas?

I though maybe there was some type of header error, so I tested muxing the video and audio back into a TS and also an M2TS using TSMuxer but the resulting files are still failing. I also re-installed Haali both with and without MPEG-TS checked. I'm using XP SP3.

2. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Can you provide a short sample ?

3. dt126

dt126 Member

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I tried your samples. Both play for me in MPC, VLC, WMP and KMPlayer, video and audio.

5. dt126

dt126 Member

What OS are you using?

Since the video is unchanged between the two samples, what is it in my system that could be incorrectly reading the TS information? The codecs have to be configured correctly because the video files is exactly the same and plays perfectly when in an MKV container.

Here is the error info from TSPE (if it helps).

Opening: C:\Temp\test1.ts
    Opening File...
    Auto Finding PIDs
    DEBUG: Error retrieving BDU in VC-1 Packet
    PID Attribute List:
    PID: 0x1011: VC-1 Video: 1920x1080 @ 23.976 fps
    PID: 0x1100: AC3: 3/2.1: L, C, R, SL, SR, LFE 48KHz 640Kbit/s

Scanning For Format Changes
    File size: 74904088 Bytes
    Duration from Timestamps: 19.69
    Average System Bitrate: 30433798.68
    Done.
    Error Updating PESLine: Could not find timestamp in buffer.
    Error Updating PESLine: Could not find timestamp in buffer.
    Creating Custom Filter Graph...

Error: Connecting Source Video Output to Video Decoder Input
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Error Creating Custom Filter Graph, trying Automatic Graph...
    Error: Configuring Video Window
    Error Loading Video, Disabling.

6. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I am using Vista 64x. Maybe is not what you have installed, but what you don't have, or the way the stuff you have is set-up. When I play the TS file with KMPlayer or WMP, Haali Media Splitter kicks in for me. And actually it plays much better than is does in VLC, in VLC the video starts to stutter half way through.

Edit: When I play the MKV file, Haali is not used(although is the same codec), so i guess is used to deal just with the TS container?.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  7. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Cyprusrom is right, on my Vista Ultimate, I've got the
    Nvidia DVD encoder installed.
    When I open the .ts in Graphedit, it's handled by the "Nvidia Transport
    Demux" (never heard of that one before) which feeds it to the
    Nvidia video and audio decoders.

It renders without problems in there or WMP 11.

8. dt126

dt126 Member

In GraphEdit, the TS file only shows an audio output to MPA Decoder (No video). With the MKV, it shows both an audio and a video output (ffdshow at the moment). Graphedit will not let me insert a video filter into the graph. It is definitely Haali Media Splitter which is processing the file, so the problem must be there. Version number is 1.9.355.21 (19/12/2009). There aren't many options to configure other than "Number of TS Packets to Scan." What version of Haali are you both using?

9. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I am not sure Dave is using Haali, he has the NviDia decoders.Mine is actually 1.94.2.1.

Trying to get it to open in other software, I enabled WVC-1 in ffdshow, and now it launches alongside Haali when playing the TS.I checked with GSpot to see what other decoders/splitters I have for your codec, WVC-1, and it seems the video was rendered by MPC decoder and Haali splitter. If I disable FFDShow and MPC decoders, Haali Media Splitter is used, but don't know what decoder, GSpot doesn't provide me any info.However, from looking at what else I have installed that might be able to decode the video, it seems Nero Video Decoder is the only one that would do it.
    [​IMG]
    If I disable Haali splitter, the TS doesn't play in WMP or KMPlayer, and GSpot cannot find a combination of splitter/decoder to render the video. If I enable the codec in FFDShow, but with Haali still disabled,it will play in KMPlayer, but still will not in WMP.

So, for me, the best to handle that TS is to have Haali splitter installed, and then it uses whatever decoders I have on-board,like FFDShow.ax, MPCVideodec.ax, Nero...and the video will play using all 4 players I tried.

In KMPlayer, you can choose what splitter to use;if left to "KMP Mpeg TS Splitter, it doesn't work. If I set it to System Default, works:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010