1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tsMuxer and MKV files

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by Spursnut, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Spursnut

Spursnut Guest

I have a MKV file that I want to make into a BD25 movie and everything seems to go ok but when I burn it using IMG Burn and play it on my Blu Ray player I get sound but a blank screen. I thought that maybe it was NTSC as I am UK so I changed setting on player to NTSC but still blank picture.

What am I doing wrong?

My player is a BMP-DB35

2. neronut

neronut Regular member

Hey, Are you taking the information from the mkv file and running it directly through tsMuxeR or are you encoding it in some way first?

If it is a movie they are generally in 23.976 fps so NTSC or PAL shouldn't be a big deal as that is a function of the output of player. It might be the cropping on the video as it may not be 16:9 but be extra widescreen.

3. Spursnut

Spursnut Guest

This is from tsMuxer. I have used no other software.

SmartLabs tsMuxeR. Version 1.10.6 http://www.smlabs.net
    Decoding H264 stream (track 1): Profile: High@4.1 Resolution: 1280:536p Frame rate: 23.976
    H.264 stream does not contain fps field. Muxing fps=23.976
    H264 bitstream changed: insert nal unit delimiters
    H264 bitstream changed: insert pict timing and buffering period SEI units
    Decoding DTS stream (track 2): Bitrate: 1536Kbps Sample Rate: 48KHz Channels: 5.1
    H264 bitstream changed: insert SPS/PPS units
    Processed 227040 video frames
    Creation of Blu-ray playlist
    Creation of Blu-ray stream info and seek index
    Mux successful complete.
    Muxing time: 1 min 59 sec

4. neronut

neronut Regular member

Your resolution is 1280 x 536 which isn't Blu-ray compliant. The video should be 720p (1280 x 720) to be compliant. A programme like uncropMKV (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=145905) should help to correct this. The player may simply be ignoring the Video as its not compliment.

For the sound, are you using SPDIF/HDMI for bitstream audio or is the player decoding it?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  5. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I don't do any of the HD/Blu Ray stuff, so don't take my word for it, but from the table below, it seem your video doesn't have the proper resolution for a BD compilation.
    [​IMG]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

6. Spursnut

Spursnut Guest

7. neronut

neronut Regular member

Thanks cyprusrom for the nice chart. According to it (1280 x 720 @ 23.976) the video frame rate is also wrong. As I have only ever used NTSC 23.976 has always worked. If your player can handle NTSC then that should not a problem.

8. neronut

neronut Regular member

I'm just curious it shouldn't affect the playback at all, although it maybe the player passing it on with no regard for the video. Do you have a TV or receiver that decodes the audio for you?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  9. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

The way I am reading the chart, 1280*720@ 23.976 is okay.
    [​IMG]

10. neronut

neronut Regular member

As he is in the UK he would have PAL equipment. The other regions column says that 1280 x 720 @ 23.976 fps isn't supported, only in NTSC regions (that should also work in NTSC player mode.)

What it should be for PAL is 720p @ 25 fps.

11. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

You're right, I missed the part where he mentioned being from UK.
    Absolutely, same with SD DVD, if the player can play both, PAL/NTSC, then 23.976 FPS shouldn't be an issue.

12. neronut

neronut Regular member

What seems to be is the non-compliant video size. The player is probably just ignoring the video because it doesn't conform.

I know my PS3 with non-spec AVCHD DVDs will try to output in 1080i for 1080p 30 fps (it needs 23.976 or 24 for 1080p.)

13. Spursnut

Spursnut Guest

I have managed tort sort out the video size by using uncropMKV but the bloody sound has gone now. The strange this is going throught the menues on my Blu Ray player it should have supported the original size but it didn't. I have down...bought another version of 2012 which has 6 channel sound and already in 1080P and all is weel now.

I am still bit of a noob on this and still learning, but I am going to have to learn a damn sight faster as I must have 10-12 coasters now! Maybe I give them out as Christmas presents!!!

14. neronut

neronut Regular member

What are the specs of the file? If you grab MediaInfo and copy the information of the 000000.m2ts file. Maybe its a muxing error by tsMuxeR.

Do you have any BD-RWs? Might save the coasters.

If there is anyone else here that has had this issue let us know :).

15. Spursnut

Spursnut Guest

Aren't BD-RWS very expensive? What do you recommend?

16. neronut

neronut Regular member

Sadly the are, I think I saw 3 BDs for 25 Dollars (CAD) so they are also quite expensive. It must be a structural error in the muxing that is causing the audio not to play. On the BD player does it have a place for you to see the current streams that are available, such as an audio change buttion or a display button that shows you your position, chapter, bit rate, etc.?

17. Spursnut

Spursnut Guest

Why does uncropMKV leave 2 files. one called uncropped which is the right size once done and the other is a .264 file?

Do I need both these files to use in TSMuxeR

18. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

That .264 file is probably an intermediary/temporary file. UncropMKV MKV probably demuxes the video from the MKV container, resizes it, and then muxes back in the new cropped video; you can delete it.

19. Spursnut

Spursnut Guest

So does uncropMKV just overwrite the file I drag and drop originally?

20. Spursnut

Spursnut Guest

It appears that you have to delelte the original and keep the file that has uncropMKV in the title!