1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tsmuxer non-standard resolution mkv to blu-ray conversion

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by scienc30, Jun 2, 2008.

1. scienc30

scienc30 Member

I have an mkv file with specs as follows:

<filename>.1080p.HDTV.x264-hV.mkv

When I load into tsmuxer the track info is as follows:

Profile: High@5.1 Resolution 1920:816p FrameRate: 25
    Bitrate: 384Kbps Sample Rate: 48KHz Channels: 6

I changed level to 4.1, and checked "Create Blu-ray disk".

Everything seemed to work fine and I burned the resulting BDMV & CERTIFICATE folders to a 4.7 DVD+R using ImgBurn set for UDF & 2.50.

After burning, my PS3 seems to want to play the disk but nothing ever happens although it indicates that I have inserted an AVCHD disk. When I try to view the contents of the disk with Windows XP Explorer for some reason it does not show any files.

Any help? Could the problem be the source resolution?

Thanks.

2. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Mux to m2ts instead of Blu-Ray. The dimension of you movie are not Blu-Ray compliant.

XP doesn't support the UDF 2.5 file system, that is why it appears nothing is there.

3. scienc30

scienc30 Member

Thanks for the reply, I'll try that. Also, after reading these forums for about 8 hours yesterday, I also now realize that the 25 fps is PAL format so I thought I might also modify with AviSynth on the file with this script:

DirectShowSource("c:\filename.mkv")
    AssumeFPS(23.976,sync_audio=true)
    SSRC(48000,false)
    AddBorders(0,132,0,132)
    LanczosResize(1920,1080)

After applying this script and then converting to Blu-ray using TsMuxer wouldn't the result then be compatible with a standard Blu-ray player that supports AVCHD?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  4. odin24

odin24 Regular member

If you're using a PS3 you'll be OK without resizing, if you want to use a stand alone player then yes, you'll need to resize.

5. scienc30

scienc30 Member

Thanks again,

I used the AviSynth script in my previous post, minus the SSRC line, (did not require) and I can view the result in Media Player Classic, it works fine and the audio stays in sync. I wanted to do a test before encoding the entire 8GB file so using mkvmergeGUI I split it into approximately 300MB pieces. I applied the script to MeGUI with the codec set for x264, file format MKV. Audio set for "keep original channels". I get an error message stating that mod16 is not set for 1920x1080. I ignored the error thinking that the script takes care of that. I tried the audio setting "force decoding via DirectShow" both ways, checked and unchecked. After the encoding is complete I don't have any audio and the video resolution is greatly reduced. I have searched this forum and the Internet hoping to find someone with a similar problem to no avail. I have the CCCP codec pack and MKV support is selected.

My ultimate goal is to take the re-encoded MKV file and use TSMuxer to create the Blu-ray DVD. Any ideas?

6. odin24

odin24 Regular member

When setting up the script it is defaulted to resize to something small, 600x200 or something like that. If you need to resize, keep that setting checked, but before you save and start recoding go to the "Edit" tab in the script creator and manually change the dimensions to what is desired, in your case (1920,1080)

7. scienc30

scienc30 Member

I did not use the MeGUI editor, I used AVS edit. This is it:

DirectShowSource("c:\filename.mkv")
    AssumeFPS(23.976,sync_audio=true)
    AddBorders(0,132,0,132)
    LanczosResize(1920,1080)

I load this into MeGUI as the AviSynth Script & select the x264 codec, MKV format. I tried the Ryu77 Video profile but the conversion would not run with this selected, so I left it blank.

For some reason when it encodes the video it compresses my 300MB test file to about 30MB, thereby seriously degrading the quality. Not sure why since I am not using the default MeGUI AVS (as far as I know). As I stated before I can preview this script with Media Player Classic with no problems.

Concerning the audio, I read in an AviSynth guide that if you wanted to use the original audio stream all you have to do click config in the Audio section and make sure "Keep Original Channels" is selected for audio output channels. I selected AC3 codec since it is an AC3 stream. I still get no audio in encoded result. Am I missing a line in my AVS file concerning the audio?

Here is a link to the guide that describes the above:
    http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/PS3_H.264_Conversion_Guide_page5.html

I have all the latest updates in MeGUI.

I really apologize for asking for your help again as I know your time is valuable.

8. odin24

odin24 Regular member

First off the reason why your 1080p movie would not play using the tsMuxeR method is when the movie was first encoded it was out of spec for playback on the PS3, thus needing a recode for compatibility. It was most likely encoded for playback on a computer.

Before your recode did you set the bitrate or specify the file size in the Bitrate Calculator in the Tools section? If not this could be your over-compression problem. Also, keep the output file type RAWAVC then mux back together with the original audio using tsMuxer. After that try playing on the PS3 in m2ts format.

Unfortunately I have never used MeGUI to encode audio so I don't think I'll be of any use.

Movies at 25fps will play fine in the m2ts container, as long as you only have the video stream and AC3 audio. If your dead-set on AVCHD then I suggest resize, add the borders and keep at 25fps. I'm pretty sure the recoded file will be region free thus able to play on an NTSC console.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  9. scienc30

scienc30 Member

Ok, thanks. I might try posting this question in the main Blu-ray thread and see if anyone has had a similar experience.

10. scienc30

scienc30 Member

I did get the video encoding workin fine, it was the bitrate settings like you said, thanks. Now working on the audio.

11. odin24

odin24 Regular member

If you're still trying to go down to 23.976 good luck, I've been tryin to figur that one out to. Try this though. Use a program called eac3to with eac3toGUI. Load your AC3 file, rename your output file, select the bitrate, select the "Force Filter" (use Libav), ...

Now there's an option for PAL slowdown on the next tab, maybe that's worth a try. I haven't had the opportunity to try it out. I do know it works great for using the PAL speed up feature, I used this for a DVD AC3 (NTSC) track to PAL.

12. scienc30

scienc30 Member

Hey thanks alot, I'll try that. Like I said I can open the script file with Media Player Classic and the frame rate changes, audio stays in sync, borders are fine. Thanks for the tip on the bitrate setting, I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention to the guide concerning that. As soon as I get this audio mess strightened out I'll let you know. Actually your on here a lot so you may know before I do!

I did start a new thread with more concise detail as to the problem...maybe someone has an answer. Until then I am still working on alternatives, maybe the eac3to is the trick.

13. scienc30

scienc30 Member

Hey Odin24,

I made some progress. I demuxed the AC-3 audio stream from the original 25 FPS file using tsMuxer. I then input the AC-3 file into mkvmergeGUI and under "Format Specific Options" I used 1.04271 (25/23.976) in the "Stretch by:" field and remuxed the AC-3 stream. I then took the resulting AC-3 stream and the video from MeGUI with the PAL to NTSC conversion script and muxed both of those together using mkvmergeGUI into an mkv file. When I play the file with Media Player Classic it works great and the audio is in sync. I burned the mkv file to a Blu-ray AVCHD using tsMuxer and it plays in my PS3, video looks great, but guess what, the audio is out of sync again. I'm still trying to figure THAT out.

14. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Yeah, been down that road too. Nobody seems to know what's going on either. Good luck to you.

15. scienc30

scienc30 Member

okay Odin24,

I know what's going on now, I got it. I have successfully taken the MKV 25FPS file with AC-3 audio and converted to NTSC Blu-ray. Video awesome, audio in sync. So if you happen to have a 25FPS 1080p with AC-3 audio I have got the solution. It's pretty simple actually, not many steps. If you are not careful you can get caught up in thinking there is a lot of conversion to do. I am writing a tutorial right now to outline the procedure. You are going to be suprised how simple it actually is.

16. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Can't wait.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  17. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Let me know where you post the guide.

18. scienc30

scienc30 Member

I haven't finished the tutorial (maybe this is it) but thought you might want to try this since I'm sure you are aware of intermediate steps that I may leave out below. This works with the St...Wa...1080p files that I have been struggling with. Have not tried it with anything else. Keep in mind I used this with a 362MB snippet of the entire file to minimize the troubleshooting time.

1. Use MeGUI with the following script:

DirectShowSource("g:\videos\1080p.HDTV.x264-hV-007.mkv", audio=true)
    TimeStretch(tempo=(100.0*23.976)/25.0)
    AddBorders(0,132,0,132)
    LanczosResize(1920,1080)

Of course you will input your correct filename & path and adjust the border settings to reflect your actual input file to achieve the 1920x1080.

Use the script as the input for both the video & audio.

I used codec x264, file format MKV & standard CQ-Lossless as the profile. I set Bitrate to 1/2CD (350MB) since my test file was around 362MB. I'm sure this will need to be adjusted based on your end-result preference.

I set the audio for FFMPEG AC-3, Keep Original Channels, Increase Volume Automatically, Improve Accuracy...., Bitrate: 384, Force Decoding...unchecked.

Then I applied these settings. I took the 2 resulting files, *.mkv & *.ac3 and muxed them to a MKV file using mkvmergeGUI.

I took the resulting MKV file and used it as the input file for tsMuxerGUI. For the MKV video file I selected Change fps: 24000/1001, and selected "Create Blu-ray disk" as the output.

I also selected Change level: 4.1 I did not change anything else.

I used ImgBurn to create the DVD with the resulting BDMV & CERTIFICATE folders (standard 4.7 DVD+R), and used the UDF, 2.50, recurse subdirectories options.

Voila it worked. I might add that if you try to watch the tsMuxer MKV file using media Player Classic on your PC the audio will be out-of-sync. Go figure.

19. scienc30

scienc30 Member

I guess I forgot to mention that I played the AVCHD DVD on a PS3. Not sure if this will work with stand-alone Blu-ray players.

20. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Looks nice but I suggest you try in on the full movie. The sync issue is a progressive one; barely there at the beginning and way off at the end.

Also, there is a very neat program that tricks the PS3 into thinking a USB stick is atually a Blu-Ray disc. It's called AVCHD-ME.

Find it and use it, it's especially handy for verifying positioning and font size of subtitles... or just testing out samples like you have been doing.

If found it...

http://www.mediafire.com/?ywt2wysnzb1

Run your sample through tsMuxeR to get your BDMV and Certificate folders. Place those both in a folder called AVCHD. Place the AVCHDME program in the AVCHD folder as well and run it there... it literally takes less than a second to do. Remove the program from the folder. Now move the AVCHD folder to your thumb drive.

Playback.
    Pop it in your PS3, DO NOT press triangle and copy!!!! Just go to the USB icon in the Video section and press X.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008