1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tunein pro tir extension

Discussion in 'Audio' started by hisnawi, Mar 27, 2013.

1. hisnawi

hisnawi Member

Friends,
    Tuneinpro iphone app records radio station streams.
    The radio station I am interested in streams in 128K bit rate mp3 format.
    However, when the app records the stream, I think it encodes the file into its own .tir extension file.
    I tried everything with this file, rename it mp3, wav, ra....every possible audio extension....it did not play.
    I also tried opening it in vlc, realplayer, quicktime, audacity...nothing worked.
    However, Audacity shows me the wavy diagram of the file which means it decoded something?!
    Anyways, how can I figure out how to play this file?

When I rename the file to MP3 and try to open it in Media Player Classic, this is the message;
    File Source (Async.)::Output
    Media Type 0:
    Unknown
    AM_MEDIA_TYPE: majortype: MEDIATYPE_Stream {E436EB83-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770} subtype: MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG1Audio {E436EB87-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770} formattype: TIME_FORMAT_NONE {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} bFixedSizeSamples: 1 bTemporalCompression: 0 lSampleSize: 1 cbFormat: 0
    Media Type 1:
    Unknown
    AM_MEDIA_TYPE: majortype: MEDIATYPE_Stream {E436EB83-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770} subtype: TIME_FORMAT_NONE {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} formattype: TIME_FORMAT_NONE {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} bFixedSizeSamples: 1 bTemporalCompression: 0 lSampleSize: 1 cbFormat: 0

2. attar

attar Senior member

Does Audacity play it back ok?

3. hisnawi

hisnawi Member

attar...
    No...instead of playing a 30 minutes stream, it plays some gobles of noises in 5 seconds.

4. attar

attar Senior member

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  5. hisnawi

hisnawi Member

I followed your suggestion and posted in that forum...
    Thanks.

6. Mez

Mez Active member

I know nothing about your problem but apple is notorious for not letting you 'steal' any recording. Being an app on an iphone it probably DRMs the recording.

Try steaming the station directly into Audacity. I bet that fixes the problem.

7. hisnawi

hisnawi Member

Mez,
    Thanks for the input.
    Is there a way to find out of the file is DRM protected?
    And is there a way to remove that protection from an audio file?

8. Mez

Mez Active member

I do not know how to do that with an iPhone. I would guess it would have to be a hacked app. iPhones would not want anything that would be helpful like that.

9. ed_lalribs

ed_lalribs Member

Here's some more information:

TuneIn Radio Pro saves two files when it records:

recording.tir

and

recording.tim

I don't think DRM is involved; I think that the information to make sense of the audio is split between these two files - perhaps the larger .tir file is the the audio data, and the necessary info to decode it (probably timing, but maybe also bitrate and format) is in the .tim file. I saw something similar with the way JVC cameras stored video files.

Unless there is a converter out there that knows to look for the 2nd file, I think we are out of luck.

You can do an analog conversion if you have anything that can digitally record the signal from your iPad's mini-jack (how tedious, I know)

Good Luck!

10. hisnawi

hisnawi Member

ed_lalribs,
    Thanks for your feedback. I believe you are right. There is another .tim file in the directory which has some text about the songs played. Could be decoding info as well.

Is there some expert on this forum that could be able to use both files and decode the stream? Or is that too much dreaming?

11. marquesed

marquesed Member

Any luck with this issue?

The .tim file appears to be the station name and cover.. although there's some garbled info on the beginning of it, it doesn't seem like it's information to use on the data file.

Theres an xml file (recordings.xml) that has a list of all recordings with bitrate, guide id (dunno what it is), content type (in a numeric form, dunno what it is), byte rate, sample rate, frames per packet and channels...