1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turn off external harddrive?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by g725s, Sep 14, 2011.

1. g725s

g725s Member

Just bought an external drive that seems to keep running and is warm even when the PC is turned off.

Is there a way to make an external drive sleep and turn off when not in use? I'm using Windows 7 and the drive is a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 2TB. FYI, I did format the drive and it does not have the preloaded software on it anymore.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

No however the heads will be parked,as for software it should be on the driver cd or you may get it from the website assuming you want it back,or perhaps a torrent

3. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

disconnect the external hdd from the power supply or from the computer and it will turn off.

4. attar

attar Senior member

The Seagate site says that you have to email them to get the FreeAgent tools if it isn't on the HDD anymore (national security, you know) - but if you do a search for 'Seagate FreeAgent Tools.exe' you will find a torrent.

5. Griff88

Griff88 Member

Unless you want the features from the software, like automatically backing things up. You don't really need it. You can find better software alternatives, for anything that you might want to do. As xboxdvl2 has stated, just unplug the power cable from the drive... that will work fine.

6. g725s

g725s Member

No don't want the preloaded software, that is why I deleted it. I was just thinking that maybe part of that software let the drive shut off when the PC was turned off. But the drive just keep running and is fairly warm.

Also, is there a program out there that let you know your drives temperature?

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

speed fan can monitor temps as well as control fan speeds,as for external don't be concerned about a warm housing if it doesn't have it's own fan it's normal,all i'd recommend for an external is have it on it's edge this means the widest parts have more contact with the surrounding air,if however you prefer them down flat be sure there is a 1-2mm air gap or at the minimum be on a hard surface not something like carpet or other soft not so good heat conductor

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011