1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turntable through soundsystem question (SOLVED)

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by Ishmael24, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Ishmael24

Ishmael24 Member

Hi guys i've been thinking about buying a turntable/Record player to play my Vinyl collection and i've allready got a speaker system which has 3 sets of red and white plugs and a power cord (Thats all i know, I'm a tech noob)

I was wondering if i bought a new Turntable, is it possible to hook it directly to the speaker system or do i HAVE to spend money on a receiver ?

Thank you in advance

2. aldan

aldan Active member

any decent turntable requires an amp.ie receiver.

3. Ishmael24

Ishmael24 Member

Damn :(

Are they expensive ?

4. aldan

aldan Active member

depends on how good you want it to sound.my home theatre receiver was around $600 cdn.also important is a good turntable.you dont want to gouge valuable vinyl.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  5. Ishmael24

Ishmael24 Member

hmm ok
    Hmm ok thanks,

And another Question, Whats a pre - amplifier ? do i have to worry about getting one of those ?

6. aldan

aldan Active member

no you dont have to worry about one of those.if i remember correctly the turntable will have whats called a preamp out.in other words it will push a small bit of power on its own.not enough to power speakers mind you.all you need is a decent turntable and a good amp and speakers. i remember my older brothers turntable had less than half a gram of stylus pressure.you couldnt bloody sneeze and the record skipped.awesome system tho.two tannoy speakers,sony amp and turntable.1970 vintage first real hi fi.about 5000.00 cdn at the time.

7. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

If you buy a turntable with Av outputs should be able to run the sound through a sterio or even your T.V.Dont know what the sound quality would be like on a tv (guessing shocking).I got an old sterio for $15 of a m8 and it has AV imputs and i hooked my speakers up to it.Has a turntable on top under a glass cover but records dont play properly (on it) apparently the needle on the record player is damaged.

8. JVC

JVC Active member

Most receivers now days don't have "Phono" inputs, until you get into their higher end units. If you use any input other than a "Phono" input, you'll need a phono pre-amp. They range from cheap to expensive. Some people even use one with a receiver that does have a phono input, just to boost the signal even more. Here are a couple of cheap ones from Radio Shack: http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=phono amp&origkw=phono amp&sr=1 You can do a Google search for phono pre-amp, and find plenty more, I'm sure.

9. Ishmael24

Ishmael24 Member

ok thanks :)

I live in Australia so no Radio Shacks here :( but my mate has an old receiver (Like 1980's old) so it'd probably have phono right ? and i dont care about the age, just as long as it works so i can get the signal through to the speakers :)

10. aldan

aldan Active member

sounds like your in bussiness.

11. Ishmael24

Ishmael24 Member

Thanks Aldan and JVC for your help guys :)