1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial: How to FTP in to your Xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by PimpDawg, Jul 24, 2005.

1. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

An Easy Way To FTP To Your Xbox

One of the most popular questions in Xbox forums are "How do I FTP to my Xbox?" So I figured I would write the ultimate guide on how to do this as effectively as possible. If anybody has anything to add to this, please post a reply.

FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol; this allows you to transfer files from your computer (host) to another computer/object (client). You can use either a crossover cable to connect your Xbox directly to your PC, or a router (both ways are discussed below). When you connect through a router, DO NOT use a crossover cable! Use standard straight through cable. The program we will be using to FTP in to the Xbox is the popular FlashFXP. You can download FlashFXP right here off of Afterdawn, or from here http://teammodders.com/download.php?action=category&cat_id=2.

How to FTP to your Xbox Dashboard using a Crossover Cable

Before I begin, you need to make sure that you are indeed using a CROSSOVER CABLE. That is a huge beginner mistake.

1) Now, you may want to make sure that your firewalls are all turned off, and possibly your anti virus software for the time being. In your custom Xbox dash (i.e. Evolution X, Avalaunch, Unleash X etc.), make sure your settings are configured for STATIC, and change your IP address to this, 192.168.0.3 Also, make the Xbox's primary DNS the same as your computers IP address shown below (192.168.0.4). Scroll down, and click SAVE before you exit that screen!

2) On your computer, go to "Start" "Control Panel" "Network and Internet Connections" "Network Connections" Then right click your "Local Area Connections" and click "Properties" Click on "Internet Protocol TCP/IP" and then click the "Properties" button. Now, make sure that the "Use the following IP address" is selected. Type in this IP address, 192.168.0.4 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 Click "Ok" Note: your computer may need to be restarted if you are using an older version of Windows.

3) Reboot your Xbox now, and if your computer is running an older OS than Windows XP, reboot that also.

4) Now, open up FlashFXP and click the lightning bolt.
    [​IMG]

5) A window will popup as shown below.
    [​IMG]

6) Type your Xbox's IP address in the "Server or URL" text box (192.168.0.3). Port should stay at 21. If your dash is using it's default settings, your user name and password should both be xbox (all lowercase). Now click connect and within a few seconds, you should see a picture as shown below with your Xbox folders on the right hand side. Now you can transfer files to and from your Xbox!
    [​IMG]

How to FTP to your Xbox Dashboard using a Router

Before I begin, you need to make sure that you are NOT using a crossover cable, but a straight through cable. Again that is a huge beginner mistake. If you need help connecting your Xbox through your router, Xbox.com has a tutorial on how to do this: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/connect/router.htm Here is a basic picture taken from xbox.com on how your setup should look like:

[​IMG]

1) Again, you may want to make sure that your firewalls are all turned off, and possibly your anti virus software for the time being. Also, make sure that your Router is 100% working. Now, connect your straight through Ethernet cord into your Xbox, and the other in to a port on the router. Boot up your Xbox. In your settings in your custom dash, make sure that the "Static" connection is turned to "Off", then scroll down and click SAVE. Reboot your Xbox. Go back into your settings on your dashboard and make sure that DHCP is now enabled, and that you have an IP address showing. Now, it's time to open up FlashFXP...

2) Open FlashFXP and click the lightning bolt.
    [​IMG]

3) A window will popup as shown below.
    [​IMG]

4) Type your Xbox's IP address in the "Server or URL" text box (IP address varies per Xbox). Port should stay at 21. If your dash is using it's default settings, your user name and password should both be xbox (all lowercase). Now click connect and within a few seconds, you should see a picture as shown below with your Xbox folders on the right hand side. Now you can transfer files to and from your Xbox!
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2005
  2. joesin

joesin Member

3. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Props to me then :)

4. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Good job PimpDawg. I applaud you on this thread, especially on the part with connecting with a router.

Good job, once again :)

5. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Gese, your making me get all big headed now! haha

Thanks for the compliment Quad

6. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

I added this thread's link to my guide :)

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Stickied :)

8. Jbasto

Jbasto Member

Ya need to EDIT that cuz it Dont WORK

9. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

That is a pretty BOLD saying Jbasto! If you follow the guide exactly as it is written, then you will not have any problems, I GUARANTEE THIS! As this is how everybody and their mom FTP's to their Xbox.

So if you want me to help you out, write out your problem in detail please.

Also, if you think it should be changed, then please write out another guide and we'll see who's is better. I am open for suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2005
  10. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Jbasto

Ignorant idiots make that sort of statement. Folks that have a functional brain and know how to use it would list what specifically didn't work. I suggest next time you either contribute something useful or keep your trap shut.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2005
  11. f00dl3

f00dl3 Guest

12. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

What is that supposed to be? Mindless spam?

There are many alternatives, but FlashFXP has become the common FTP tool among the xbox mod scene. This is why it was used.

13. Jbasto

Jbasto Member

Here are the Settings for that :

This is sort of like configuration 2 but instead of your NIC getting a public DHCP address it should be getting an internal private DHCP address. This address can be anything within this range: The blocks are 10.0.0.0. to 10.255.255.255, 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255, and 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255.
    There are very high chances your router is giving out addresses somewhere in 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x
    If this is the case your computer should be successfully getting its DHCP address from your router and if you can plug your Xbox into that router as well then just change your dashboard's configuration file to have a static IP. So in our first configuration example you would just have to change the files to be like this:

Evolution X Dashboard

[Network]
    SetupNetwork = Yes
    StaticIP = No
    Ip = 192.168.0.3
    Subnetmask = 255.255.255.0
    Defaultgateway =
    DNS1 = 0.0.0.0
    DNS2 = 0.0.0.0

Once you set StaticIP to be No, the ip, subnet, gateway, and dns values are no longer used. You can boot your Xbox and see what IP it is getting from DHCP and simply FTP to that address.
    You can also still have your Xbox use a static ip so that you always no its IP address, even with a router that gives out DHCP. Just make sure the static IP you give it is on the same subnet as the DHCP addresses it is giving out. To do that, make your evox.ini like this:
    [Network]
    SetupNetwork = Yes
    StaticIP = Yes
    Ip = 192.168.0.3
    Defaultgateway = 192.168.0.1
    DNS1 = 0.0.0.0
    DNS2 = 0.0.0.0

Here you've changed static ip back to yes and your gateway address should be the address of your router now. If your router is on a different subnet and by that I mean its ip is 192.168.1.1 and it is giving out dhcp address's of 192.168.1.x then you would make your evox.ini reflect those differences like this:
    [Network]
    SetupNetwork = Yes
    StaticIP = Yes
    Ip = 192.168.1.3
    Defaultgateway = 192.168.1.1
    DNS1 = 0.0.0.0
    DNS2 = 0.0.0.0

MXM Dashboard

If you run MXM as your dash and want to use DHCP then the MXM.xml file's <network> section should look like this:
    <Network>
    <UseDHCP>True</UseDHCP>
    <IP />
    <DefaultGateway />
    <SubnetMask>255.255.255.0</SubnetMask>
    <DNS1 />
    <DNS2 />
    </Network>

Avalaunch Dashboard
    If you run Avalaunch as your dash and want to use DHCP then make the <network> section of the avalaunch.xml look like this.
    <network setup="1" type="dhcp">
    <ip> 192.168.0.180 </ip>
    <subnet> 255.255.255.0 </subnet>
    <gateway> 192.168.0.1 </gateway>
    <dns1> 195.159.0.100 </dns1>
    <dns2> 195.159.0.200 </dns2>
    <proxy enabled="0">
    <server> 10.0.0.1 </server>
    <port> 8080 </port>
    </proxy>
    </network>

UnleashX Dashboard
    If UnleashX is your dash, to use DHCP setup the network section in the config.xml to look like this:
    <Network Enable="Yes" Type="DHCP">
    <IP>192.168.0.100</IP>
    <Subnet>255.255.255.0</Subnet>
    <Gateway>192.168.0.1</Gateway>
    <DNS1>192.168.0.1</DNS1>
    <DNS2>192.168.0.7</DNS2>
    <AutoDetect>Yes</AutoDetect>
    </Network>

14. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Gee, thanks Jbasto

15. acbella

acbella Guest

Jbasto:
    I was wondering if you just had a crosscable if they would be the same as the one's you gave for the router?

16. shawty

shawty Member

i dont understand anything bout point 1
    where can i change the settings to static and where can i change the ip
    could u please explain it to me thx

good thread man
    shawty

17. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

shawty, in your dashboard (i.e. UnleashX, Avalaunch, EvoX etc.) go into the settings (just look around in your dashboard to find it) and you will be able to get to your IP information.

18. enemeth

enemeth Member

i did all the stuff that was said up there to connect to my xbox but it keeps timeing out, i turned off all my firewalls, now what ? why cant i ping the xbox and why wont it connect ? anyone?
    HELP !! :)

Elaine

19. enemeth

enemeth Member

[R] Connecting to 192.168.0.101 -> IP=192.168.0.101 PORT=21 (attempt # 1)
    [R] Connection failed (Connection timed out)
    [R] Delaying for 120 seconds before reconnect attempt #2
    [R] Connecting to 192.168.0.101 -> IP=192.168.0.101 PORT=21 (attempt # 2)

this is what i get

20. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Are you using a crossover cable or are you going through a router?