1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TUTORIAL: How to FTP...Made EASY!!

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by tEChniiQue, Sep 2, 2005.

1. modhawk

modhawk Guest

well ever since i put halo 2 on my hdd it takes a long ass time for the maps to load and it pisses me off when im online , idont get y its doing that especially when i took halo 2 off my hdd, unsoftmodded my xbox and took all the maps off my hdd??? WTF

2. Taylor46

Taylor46 Member

I am on a huge network at college and I am trying to get my xbox connected through the network to my pc using SmartFTP client. I have hooked everything up correctly and changed my i.p. address to the correct numbers and this is coming up:
    [00:27:04] Connected to 131.204.197.95.
    [00:27:04] 220 Please enter your login name now.
    [00:27:04] USER anonymous
    [00:27:04] 530 Unknown User (anonymous), Bye.
    [00:27:04] An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
    [00:27:04] Client closed the connection.
    [00:27:04] Cannot login waiting to retry (30s)...

Do you know how to fix my problem?
    Thanks

3. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

Just a thought, but this looks like you are trying to login anonymously? You need to use the username xbox and password xbox. Unless you changed the username to anonymous that is.

4. halotwo

halotwo Regular member

whe ever posted this forum. I would like to know which launcher is the best for the xbox.

5. nooberguy

nooberguy Member

CONNECTION PROBLEM?
    Evo Dash Setting Info
    Network
    Type:Empty
    IP:Empty
    Line Status: No Link! (Cable connected, xbox to ethernet port)

Question are Cross-Over Cables the same as ethernet cables?

Can someone give me a hand. I'm trying to use flash ftp to acquire files from my modded xbox, to make back-up games. I'm using EVO 2.6 Dashbroad and I also have and tried Avalance Alpha v0.19.1. I'm using static, direct connection method on both dashbroads I can enter all the network information, Static IP Address, Gateway, Subnet, DNS Servers. But I can't get the IP information of the dashbords, EVO IP is empty, and Avalance tells me theres no link. Can someone help me with this connection problem between my xbox and PC.

P.S. Thought it might be faulty network card or cable but its my cross-over cable? or ethernet cable? that I'm using for my internet connection, and can connect to xbox live with default MS dashbroad, I'm in need of help, please someone help me?

Also: I only have one Network connection, acquired my settings from that connection in my windows control panel. and when I disconnect internet cable to connect to my xbox and enter ipconfig/all on the command prompt it wont give me any network information at all.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
  6. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

Crossover cables are not the same as "regular" straight through cables. The straight through cables won't work unless you are using a router or other networking device.

7. hi2

hi2 Member

hello, i am wondering, when i use flashfxp it type in my ip adress for my xbox, and the password and username is xbox, port is 21, do i have to do anything else before i try to connect? because when ever i try to connect it never works

8. nooberguy

nooberguy Member

Thanks to the starters and contributors of this thread got the connection completed able to transfer files and create working back-ups of my collection, using router method, and Avalance Dashbroad,in my chipped xbox. Thanks to Mods and Admin for making sticky, must read noob material. :)

9. 3rd

3rd Guest

Ok I have pretty much everything working, when I transfer the files I have modded to my xbox via Smart FTP and try to go into match making it says failed to load maps on the maps I have modded.

Why is this happening? Are there any sites with pre modded maps to download directly for matchmaking?

removed

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2006
  10. doubt

doubt Member

Ya know, i've had a similar problem that tends to come and go as i configure my machine for other network devices and whatnot. this problem was happening ever since i first was able to ftp to my xbox, and it seems to have come back again.

first off, i've already tried pretty much everything everyone has suggested, so no sense in repeating yourself. I'll try to provide you as much background as I possibly can.

My router is setup DHCP, my computer is usually (and currently) 192.168.1.100, my DHCP address range is .1 through .149 -standard stuff.

For the longest time, I had my Xbox working where I could ftp in successfully with it set static to 192.168.1.110, but that won't work anymore, and neither will DHCP at .101

I can always ping the Xbox no problem, but i always get "CAN'T OPEN DATA CONNECTION TO 192.168.1.100:11281" no matter what I try, and I get the same basic message regardless of what ftp application i'm using. I've tried flashfxp, smartftp, wsftp, internet explorer, even qwix returns a similar error. There is also a mention of PASV in the error log depending on what client app I'm trying. That 5-digit port number on the return packet to my PC is always different as well. sometimes its up near 37000 or so.

I'm using Evolution X, bios version Unknown, Kernel Version 1.00.4978.01... this is very old, but like I said, this problem just recently came back so I had it working not long ago again. All in all, I've had this same problem happen about 8 to 10 times over a couple year period. There's never one thing that seems to fix it, either that or I always overlook it.

So I guess my question is, why can I ping my XBox, and when I hit the "test connection" button in Qwix it says Connection Successful... but it tries to connect and fails? and where does that 5-digit port number come from on the return packet? Is there something in my Linksys setup (192.168.1.1) setup that I've been overlooking for years? I can FTP to any FTP site on the internet, just not to this one inside my friggin' own network.

It winds up taking usually about 20 seconds of stalling before it fails and returns that "Can't connect" message... error log shows user name and password being accepted by the xbox successfully.

Thanks for the help in advance.

11. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

Sounds like you are establishing a connection just fine. Type ftp://xbox@0.0.0.0/ (replacing the 0's with your box's IP) into your web browser and you'll no doubt be presented with the prompt for the password. Unfortunately you can't get on this way, but it is working.
    What's not working is the data connection which is the second connection that you need to FTP. The most likely reason is that your firewall is filtering the data connection, thus it won't work.
    Turn off your firewall, or set it up to allow you to FTP properly. If this still doesn't work, you may have a real problem. Hopefully you won't have to go any further.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  12. chongke

chongke Member

ok sorry guys but i've read a bunch of Tutorials andi cant get anythingto work. My Xbox is modded but im not sure if the mod is good or if im able to do some FTP stuff. My xbox can read burnt games and ive change my IP to 192.168.0.3 and i've followed every suggestions and i cant get it to work i dont know what im doing wrongplz.. someone help me i reall wanna figure this out.

thnx.

13. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

There are plenty of people that would be happy to help you here, but you could supply more info. Like do you have the right cables, are you using a router? What exactly is the error or problem you are having? Well and good that it won't work, but run through what you are doing and what exactly is and isn't happening.

14. babyboy19

babyboy19 Member

How do i get the program avancle?

15. babyboy19

babyboy19 Member

what is better avalaunch or evotion?

16. chongke

chongke Member

well alright, im using croossover cable that is connected to my computer through Ethernet and i plugd the other end of it to my xbox , i've setup my xbox with ip and im using FLASH FXP to connect them but they wont connect i get that 120 seconds time waiting but never connects . i've followed tutorials but i cant get it to work ... im not sure if my xbox is capable of doing this...my xbox is modded ...im not sure which mod chip it is .. but it can read burned games..

and oh yah .. so ive' hookd up my xbox to my computer using crossover cable and am i suppose to edit Local Area Connection>Internet Protocol TCP/IP>properties>change ip?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  17. viky2j

viky2j Member

Hi,
    I've spent the last 8 hours reading tutorials and researching how to connect my xbox to my pc and I'm thoroughly stuck!
    Here's as many details as I can think of:
    I'm using a cross over cable to directly connect the two. Its in my ethernet connection at the back of the pc.
    I have configured the port using the tutorial as follows
    ip address - 192.168.0.2
    subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
    default gateway - 192.168.0.1
    nothing in DNS as this is not my internet connection port. (i connect to the net using a usb modem) I'm not connected to the internet at all while i'm trying to srt this up as I have a different pc that I am using to research while I'm doint it!
    Xbox is flashed and uses the Evolution dash board.
    It has the following settings:
    Ip - 192.168.0.3
    subnet mask - 255.255.255.
    default gateway - 192.168.0.1
    DNS - 0.0.0.0
    use static ip - yes
    ftp is enabled and the password is xbox.
    I've tried to connect using both Flash fxp and ws ftp home but i get timed out with flash and an error message saying that it can't connect with ws. I've added both programs to my firewall enabled list.
    The "little tv screens" in the corner of the desk top say that its connected and has a speed of 100.0Mbps although its sent and received zero packets.
    I'm at a loss and I am sure it must just be something that I have missed but I really don't know what else to try.
    Thank you in advance for any help you can offer,
    Vik

18. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

Did you change your pc settings? Really don't need to. Your Xbox is what needs to be changed, not your PC. If these settings you gave for your PC aren't the correct settings your PC uses to connect to the internet normally, you need to change them back and post what the settings are when correct.

19. viky2j

viky2j Member

Hi Jigen,
    Thanks for the reply.
    This connection has never been used to connect to the internet - I use a seperate external usb modem for the internet. The ethernet connection I'm using has been completely redundant until I hooked the xbox to it. It use to have the box ticked that says "obtain an IP address automatically" I altered it when reading the tutorial which was talking about static Ip's. Should I have left this alone?

20. babyboy19

babyboy19 Member

AnyOne KNows Alot Can they Please add me to msn removed i need Mad Help....

Last edited: Mar 19, 2006