1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TUTORIAL: How to FTP...Made EASY!!

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by tEChniiQue, Sep 2, 2005.

1. ZeRo0wns

ZeRo0wns Member

nvm

Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  2. mrgooey

mrgooey Regular member

Hey.. i cant FTP my xbox. I was wondering if i need to have a dashboard on my xbox. I have EvoX on a disc, does that works. Also, do i need to link to a tv while i do this?

3. theridges

theridges Guest

yes the disc with evox will work and yes you will need it to be hooked up to the TV....

4. CCanuk

CCanuk Member

Hello, I have read the post and read a lot of the post made by people with problems and still can't figure it out, here is what I do:

I am using a Correct Crossover cable connected to my PC to Xbox.

Evolution X 3935
    settings:
    Type: Static
    Line Status: 100/Full Duplex
    Setup Network: Yes
    Static: Yes
    IP: 192.168.0.2
    Sub: 255.255.255.0
    DefaultGateway: 192.168.2.1
    FTP: Enabled, pass=xbox

PC TCP/IP Settings
    IP: 192.168.2.10
    Sub: 255.255.255.0

Open FlashFXP
    Connect to:
    IP: 192.168.0.2 Port: 21
    User Name: xbox
    Password: xbox

WinSock 2.0 -- OpenSSL 0.9.8b 04 May 2006
    [L] Connecting to My Xbox -> IP=192.168.0.2 PORT=21
    [L] Connection failed (Connection timed out)
    [L] Delaying for 120 seconds before reconnect attempt #

Im hoping someone can help me out, maybe my crossover cable has a short or something like that?

Thanks

5. theridges

theridges Guest

do you have a network created on the computer?
    start-control panel-network internet connections-create home network..

6. CCanuk

CCanuk Member

Yes, I do

7. CCanuk

CCanuk Member

I now have a new error when I try to connect

FlashFXP
    [R] Connecting to My Xbox -> IP=192.168.0.2 PORT=21
    [R] Connected to My Xbox
    [R] Connection failed (Connection lost)

Should I maybe try to update my ethernet card??

8. hjones

hjones Member

I have XBMC and i'm trying to acess it through Flashfxp but have had no luck, I was wondering if there was a tut. that was specificaly geared towards XBMC? Everytime I try to connect it says it's trying but times out. Help!

9. pn2bade

pn2bade Member

I need help, my xbox won't connect. I got Evolution X, and I put my IP address in like it said on my xbox, and I pluged in my router to my Xbox to my PC, opened Flash whatever, and put in xbox as user, and xbox as pass, and it said could not connect

10. theridges

theridges Guest

if you use a router change the settings on Evox to DHCP the router should then give the xbox an ip use that one in flashfxp....

11. pn2bade

pn2bade Member

i tried that. ok, this is what i got. Evolution X, xbox version 1.0 (if it matters), i set it on DHCP, i got a lan running throughout my whole house, and to the internet, so i got my xbox plugged into one wall, and my computer connected to another, and when i try to ftp it in Flash, it says this:

[L] Connecting to 192.168.1.102 -> IP=192.168.1.102 PORT=21
    [L] Connection failed (Connection timed out)
    [L] Delaying for 120 seconds before reconnect attempt #1

ive been doing this for 3 months now and im ready to throw my xbox out the window, so could someone help me?

12. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

After readong the last 4 or 5 pages...here is some general advice I offer to all of you.

1 - For FTP purposes, if FlashFXP is causing you problems, make a switch to SmartFTP or WSFTP. I personally use SartFTP and I don't plan on changing anytime soon.

2 - For those of you connecting directly to your computer with your XBOX...
    Make sure that BOTH, the XBOX and the LAN connection being used on your PC have both been assigned a static IP address. Also very important...make sure that for this type of FTP setup, you are using a crossover cable. A setting that I have used if I go with this method is as follows:

COMPUTER
    IP: 192.168.1.100
    Subnet Mask: Will/Should be automatic (commonly-255.255.255.0)
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

XBOX
    IP: 192.168.1.110
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (same as the PC setting)
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

The XBOX may need to be restarted before a good connection is established, but from there connectons should always be good between the two (XBOX and computer)

3 - Those of you trying to connect to your XBOX and by way of a router; meaning both your computer and xbox are plugged into a router...just make sure that DHCP is enabled on both systems. From there, it's cake.

4 - When it comes to dashboards and connections apps for your computer. FTP clients such as FlashFXP, SmartFTP, WSFTP, etc...will connect to anything, any dashboard, and the results should be fairly similiar. As for applications, such as Craxtion and Qwix...they should be used with their respective dashboards. Qwix should be used with Avalaunch and Craxtion primarily works with EvolutionX. If you are using EvolutionX as a dash and try to transfer by way of Qwix...that could be a big part of some problems.

The best advice I can give is to just take your time (not saying you didn't) but try again and make sure you do. It is a very simple process which means when it becomes difficult...you can easily become frustrated. There are thousands of us out here willing to help. What I've come to find out is that many people forget to give there PC's LAN connection being used for a direction connection (crossover) a static IP address.

FYI: In the static IP setup...DNS Servers are irrelevant because you are not accessing the internet to do this. As for speeds, Qwix has a boost mode (which is why I recommend AvaL) and when the average person gets 7-8,000kb/s in transfer speeds with an FTP client...I see around 10-11,000kb/s in transfer speed with Qwix.

Long winded, I know...but I hope it helps^^^
    I remember my first time with all this,
    Good Luck!!

13. fusion17

fusion17 Guest

It wont let me change my ip address on my xbox.
    It wont let me change 169.254.249.83 to anything else for more than 3 seconds and it goes back to 169.254.249.83
    I see this.

Evolution X 3935
    settings:
    Type: Static
    Line Status: 100/Full Duplex
    Setup Network: Yes
    Static: Yes
    IP: 169.254.249.83
    Sub: 255.255.0.0
    FTP: Enabled, pass=xbox

14. janrocks

janrocks Guest

@ fusion.. That's the sign of a corrupted dash.(or a dodgy original install with interestingly modified settings) whichever... reinstall evox and get rid of the dns settings which seem to be set to auto override. If it persists are you hitting save and exit, or just exit? Then you need to reboot the xbox for the network settings to come into effect... gah..I'm sick of explaining this...

@Technique.. hi there.. are we all totally fed up of this networking stuff yet. There are at least 10 guides on here that work perfectly if followed to the letter. Yours is clearer than most. I just tested it because of the length of this thread and it's flawless on an xp sp2 setup... :) It's about the same age as mine in the backups thread, which is a little more bare bones howto. Carry on..

Ponder this....Networks are fun and easy IF you read, understand and follow the basic rules. Knowledge is Power, and network skills can't be learned in 2 minutes. With a direct xover cable there is totally no need for a gateway setting..it screws everything up. Only needed when using a router.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2006
  15. viny_boy

viny_boy Guest

I have a Xbox and the programs craxtion and flash fxp i want transfer a game i have to my xbox how would i do that my router is hooked up also my xbox is also modded Ii thy to transfer it it is in my xbox but i cannot play it it does show up on my xbox file explorer i have unleash so can some one help me

16. moocher6

moocher6 Guest

Alright well here is my probelm. I am using Evolution X dash, i have changed the settings accodingly and disabled firewalls and Anti-virus just in case. The settings read are the ones given by you in prior post.

Xbox
    IP=192.168.1.110
    Subnetmask= 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway=192.168.1.1
    DNS was left as is which is 0.0.0.0

PC. Changed IP to match configured settings.
    IP=192.168.1.110
    Subnetmask=255.255.255.0
    Default gateway=192.16.1.1

I open up Flash FXP and type in all the information username and password as xbox. when i go to connect it says "No Route Host" I am using a Cat5e crossover cable. Can you help?

17. apmo6134

apmo6134 Member

ok i am connecting via router with two normal ethernet cables. im using flash fxp and i typed everything as it should be but it always says my connection was timed out. how do i make it connect?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2006
  18. zerubaba

zerubaba Member

Does my xbox need to be modded in order to ftp it to my computer, to back up my xbox game saves off the xbox's harddrive?

19. theridges

theridges Guest

Yes it has to be modded....

20. pn2bade

pn2bade Member

YAY! I got the FTP working! ok now i have another question. can i put in an xbox 360 game into the xbox just to ftp it so that i can copy the game?