1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TUTORIAL: How to FTP...Made EASY!!

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by tEChniiQue, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Nath79

Nath79 Member

We tried everything.
    Both turned off and cable connected.
    Then both turned on and xbox in dashboard and connected.

We tried two different crossover cables and neither of them made a connection.

Pain in the butt to be honest....ticked me right off.

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Do you have more then 1 Networking card in the computer?

are you sure the driver for the netwroking card is instaled for the onbaord card?

If you have the computer on and the Xbox on and conneted with a crossover cable then you either have a bad networking card/cable/or network adaptor for the Xbox is bad.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2005
  3. Nath79

Nath79 Member

Nah mate, just got the one card installed

4. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Well if your computer is saying that a netwrok cable is unpluged then thats a problem with the hardware. it isnt a problem with the IP configuration.

The Xbox and Computer are not conneted. Somthing is bad. Like above either Network card/cable/Xbox network adaptor.

Would you happen to have a cable modem that connects to the computer by a netwrok card? or is it connected threw USB?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2005
  5. Nath79

Nath79 Member

Not presently, thats in the pipeline, but not presently.
    I appreciate your assistance though.
    Of everything I actually hope its the network adaptor in the xbox and not the pc. Don't want to be throwing a new motherboard in, given I've had it for a week.

6. cmd1987

cmd1987 Member

Hi, i can do all that network stuff, but all i can get is my ms dashbaord. I have evox and i dont know how to get into the settings your screen shots shows. Thats my only problem so far. Hope you Can Help. Thanks.

I fix ps2s and mod them, not xbox so much lol.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  7. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Does your Xbox load the Evox dashboard or the MS dashboard?

If you have the EvoX dashboard intalled it should come up and all you need to do is go to settings then network.

8. cmd1987

cmd1987 Member

it goes to the ms dash board (looks unmodded) but the start up screen i can see the evox symbol in the uper left corner

9. larrylje

larrylje Active member

then you must have the MS dashboard as your default browser. You need to change it so EvoX is.

Is your Xbox hard modded or softmoded?

10. cmd1987

cmd1987 Member

OH i didnt put that "duh" omg.

I have a spider v1.1 solderless (i soldered it)
    and i flashed it with a dvd disk with the evox on it (the one made for 1.6 systems for that i have a 1.6 system)

I think thats all you need to know (i know the spider chip is not too good, but was free with a xbox i got cheap.)

11. cmd1987

cmd1987 Member

Ok, i got my xbox back out and tryed to ftp to it (same program as in the tutorial.) It acts like i dont have it hooked up. Heres my info (i have 2 network cards in my pc)

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Con 2:
    Ip: 169.254.191.125
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
    Gateway:

Net card 2: (my internet, threw router, its far away lol)

dhcp enabled: yes
    auto config: yes
    Ip: 192.168.1.101
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: same as mask

then it goes on wiht DHCP server and dns servers

XBOX:
    *Manual Configed

Ip:192.168.1.200
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 (tryed 255.255.0.0 too)
    Gateway:192.168.1.1

(also i dont get the same looking dashboard as in the pic, its just the ms dash baord, but i get the evox sysmbol in the boot screen)

12. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@cmd1987

Do you have your Xbox conencted to the second Ethernet card? Or the router?

If you have it connected to the router then you need to use a reguler networking cable conected to the router and Xbox and then set the Xbox to DHCP and the router will set up the conection. Now get the IP that the router gives the Xbox in the Xbox IP setting and then type that into your FTP client program.

If your conecting your Xbox directly to your computer threw the second Ethernet card then you need a crossover cable.

After conecting the crossover cable from your 2nd ethernet card and Xbox you can then set up your coneection:

Example

2nd Ethernet card:
    Ip: 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway:192.168.0.1

Xbox settings:
    IP: 192.168.0.3
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway:192.168.0.1

Leave the settings the same on the Ethernet card that is conected to the router that is giving you Internet access

Now add the Xbox IP 192.168.0.3 to your FTP client program your using on your computer.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2005
  13. cmd1987

cmd1987 Member

I didnt have a dashboard installed, i think that can help some lol. I got evox now (the dashboard) but i cant get it to link yet, ip says 0.0.0.0. But it sees thats its connected (i have it pluged into the 2nd nic) I have tryed to set the network settings and then use the option in the menu to reboot, still cant find my xbox on the ftp program. I tryed to set them, then reboot with the dashboard disk out and that didnt work either. ( i know im a complete noob on xbox mods lol)

Took me forever to find a place that tells how to burn the dashboard.

Oh ya, i forgot to say, im from Michigan too lol. Im near midland (West of Bay City)

14. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Is your computer or your Xbox saying ip 0.0.0.0 that is your problem.

Did you read above to what I told you to set the settings at?

For Evox go to system settings then network settings make sure you choose static IP and add all the configuration settings I gave you in the areas they belong. Then save the settings and reboot.

Now on the NIC card for your computer go to the properties for the NIC card. click on the TCP/IP settings choose [bold]"Use the folowing IP address"[/bold] and add the information above under the computer settings I gave you.

Now take the IP address you added to your Xbox [bold]192.168.0.3[/bold] and use that as the conection IP for Flash FXP

15. cmd1987

cmd1987 Member

I had so much trouble trying to directly connect to my pc that i finally dug threw all my stuff and found my network cable that i made long ago lol. (i made it as a X cable) but my router supports that. I used that and boom, connected fine, (i had 0.0.0.0 on my xbox) and i didnt use static because i thought if you didnt use it you could assign the ip address (it didnt use my settings either for the ip) but it worked, not just to get my pc to connect directly to it in my room. Thanks for the help, really needed it.

So i take it that if i dissable static that i can get a ip from directly connecting to my pc? Also i would think that you might want to put in what drive is what on the xbox (like the drive for the dvd drive in the xbox) i haven't tryed to copy any thing yet, but got connection :D

16. cmd1987

cmd1987 Member

Ok, got it working 100% now yahoo. Heres the update:

if connected directly to pc:
    use static

if connected threw the router:
    dont use static (easyer that way)

I think my one X cable might of been bad maybe.
    Thanks Agian!!!!
    I will try to stick around this thred to help other people (i finally understand that darn dashboard)

I know this about xbox now:

how to install a bios
    how to install a dashboard (also you can install bios with this)
    and ftp to xbox (directly or threw router)

Yahoo, i got more knolege lol.

17. larrylje

larrylje Active member

One good reason to have a static IP for the Xbox is cause if your router asignes the IP addreses it could chamge the IP on the Xbox then next time you conect with your FTP client you wont bebale to cause the router switched up your IP address. So if you set it up as DHCP on the Xbox and you go to FTP and it wont connect check the IP on the Xbox and see if your router assigned a diffrent IP then before.

I have a router but have everyhting set up as static IPs I just disabked DHCP on the router and choose IPs out of the IP ranges that the router assigns and made a small network threw the router.

I have my Xbox, my computer, my Sons computer, my gamecube all conected threw the router but each has its own IP. That way I will never have a conection loss on any of my systems cause I control the IP and not let the router assign them.

18. cmd1987

cmd1987 Member

ok, now i have a ip (directly to my pc now) but i cant connect to it? its being a pain now lol. Its on static now (reburned disk)

Edit:

Im useing port 21 yet, do i have to change it for my 2nd nic? If i do, where do i go for that (im not into networking as much as pc repair and building lol)

19. cmd1987

cmd1987 Member

NVM that, i got it to work, i bridged the 2 nic. Its all working now :). Thanks agian (directly to pc with 2 nic use them in a bridge lol)

20. Streaker

Streaker Member

I use FlashFXP, but when I try to FTP into my xbox (I have Avalaunch Dashboard) It says I dont have the right password. I used xbox as my user name and my password, and I don't know how to change it, so I dont know whats up.