1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TUTORIAL: How to play backups w/o mod chip, only Max Drive Pro Memcard

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by brucedlx, Jan 22, 2006.

1. jacckk

jacckk Guest

bruce, i had never use the winrar before so i will try the steps you posted on page 1. i only have nero version 6 will this work for backing up my gamecube games? also i will still be able to play original games right after doing the steps you posted on page 1 on how to backup games for gamecube so that i can play the back up games to the gamecube console? anyone who can answer this question pls help. thank you.

2. jacckk

jacckk Guest

another question to anyone who can help me pls i have nero 6 and decrypter which one the easy to use in backing up my gamecube games?
    and which mini dvd-r is the best brand for backing up gamecube games?

3. MrTibs

MrTibs Member

brucedlx wrote:

t1grfile wrote:

I'm confused. Do I need to swap disks everytime I boot my GC or not?

The way I understood it was that you could insert your configured Max memory card into the GC and boot it without anything in the GC. Use the GCOS system load your saved game then put in your burned disk and play away. Is that right?

4. MoaFun

MoaFun Guest

no

when you get special disk with the maxdrive pro

with this disk you can run access your memory card and then run dolz

you need to run gcos there then swap into the disk you want to play

5. MrTibs

MrTibs Member

Thanks for your quick response.

My primary concern is my son keeps breaking the game disks. So, if he breakes the MDPro boot disk, I'm hooped again. Yes?

I take it that there is no "softmod" way to avoid disk switching?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  6. MrTibs

MrTibs Member

What about using the AR and SD card method with the NinjaMod DOL bios. NingaMod's bios has a no-swap feature. Has anyone done this?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  7. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

Sure it's no swap when it's on your Mod chip, but swap is inevitable w/ softmods through the memory card. The gamecube won't magically start reading the memory card when u turn it on the only way to make it do this is w/ the use of some kind of boot disc, in my case the MaxDrive pro. Sorry but there is no non-swap softmod way for gamecube. Softmod = Discwap.

Jack: Nero 6 should work just fine. Ritek Ridata Mini-DVD's should work fine also for you mini-dvdrs.

Yes you can still play originals ofcourse when you do the softmod. Just don't do it and put in ur original instead. Tada!

8. MrTibs

MrTibs Member

Well, another stupid question....

My goal here is to end the swapping of disks because I believe that is what is killing my games so....

Assuming I get BBA, I could leave the AR or MDPro disk in my GC all the time. I could then boot the GC and load all my games from my local PC through the BBA. Wouldn't this be just like having a HD (accept for speed)?

If I get the MDPro kit, I don't have to buy the BBA but can I load games from my PC through the USB cable or do I still need the BBA? How fast is the USB transfer?

9. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

I never bothered with the BBA/PSO Exploit because it's more expensive than a modchip and/or MDPro and just as hard if not harder to set up.

For MDPro if you decide to buy, the way it works is you hook up the memory card (not the gamecube) to your comp via USB. You transfer a .dol file (like .exe for the gamecube). Now, this .dol file will allow you to play backed up games (burned on mini-dvd) but in order to load the .dol file you have to first put in the special MDPro disc which will allow you to run the .dol file from your memory card. Without the the MDPro disc, it's just a massive memory card which you can use to backup gamesaves onto your computer.

The only way to end the swapping of discs is to get a modchip or BBA, I highly HIGHLY reccommend the mod chip because it's cheaper and it's better. BBA is old news, for the days when none of this stuff was around.

10. jacckk

jacckk Guest

bruce, mod chip is this something you need to install inside the game cube right? the max drive pro on divineo comes with only 1 disc but on the first page you showed a picture of 2 disc that comes with the max drive pro? so if i buy this max drive pro @ divineo with one disc will this work? pls help me and thank you. also, the reason why i am doing this is my 5 year old son keeps on messing with the original disc untill we cannot play the original games on his game cube anymore that is why i decided to look for something that will help me back up my original games so i can give him copies to play with and if it gets mess up i can make another copy and not spend another $50 dollar games everytime he messes them up. pls help me and thank you again.

11. jacckk

jacckk Guest

bruce i forgot to ask you about those 2 disc in the pictures on the first page of your posting it came with 2 disc are they regular size disc or mini disc? thank you for your help.

12. jacckk

jacckk Guest

bruce on the mini dvd-r u said ritek is this the only disc i can use coz i dont remember seeing this brand in the stores that i go to by the way i am in california the stores that i go to are best buy, circuit city and fry's electronics and i know they dont have this brand can you advise on what other brand are good for backing up gc games? thank you again.

13. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

I suggest you read the tutorial again carefully. The Max Drive PRO is not a modchip! As far as I know, you can't get them from divineo, you can only buy them online from the sites I posted in the tutorial. That's where I bought mine and it came w/ 2 Mini-DVD's (not regular DVDs). One is to install software the other to load the file from your memory card to load your backup.

Back to the issue at hand, the Max Drive PRO is not a modchip, it does not require you to install anything or even open your gamecube. Just follow the guide I posted and nowhere will you see me tell you to open up your gamecube or solder any wires.

I know ritek works, other people have told me Office Depot brand works, I don't know if they have those at your electronics stores. If your getting the max drive pro online anyways, I suggest you just grab some blank Ritek Mini-DVDr's just to be on the safe side. You can get them from meritline.com I believe.

14. bck8367

bck8367 Member

Thanks bruce,
    I was able to play all sorts of mario game backups(mostly PAL).

However, when I tried to play Zelda: Wind Waker, and Paper Mario (both PAL), it just showed me black screen.
    When I force PAL to play them, some images are seen in the screen, but not playable since the game screen moves vertically super fast.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
    I think forcing the display to 50Hz...(don't know what I'm talking about) may do the job since games like mario tennis asked me to choose between 60hz and 50hz, and when I chose 60hz it gave me similar screen to that I get when forcing the Zelda to play in PAL.

15. _bmd_

_bmd_ Member

Absolutely awesome job brucedlx, I've followed your advice and it's working fine. I'm pretty amazed at the way you've helped the people here, you've got a lot more patience than me. :)

16. jacckk

jacckk Guest

bruce, thank you for all your help.

17. _bmd_

_bmd_ Member

Just to say, I've burned 5 'back ups' so far and they've all worked, no idea what the dvd-r's were, they just say 'budget' on them, £4.95 for 25! My dvd writer was the cheapest one I could find, it cost £30 from my local pc store.

So I think I've just been lucky, it's certainly nothing I'm doing. The only thing I would say is that the iso's I've got were all from places that I trust and have never had a problem with anything from them in the past but I've no idea if this is anything to do with it or not.

Oh and I'm using Nero 7.

Thanks for the info bruce, you're a star. :)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  18. badmonkey

badmonkey Member

I just ordered my max drive pro and im reading so im kinda getting nervous about this .. If anyone had a precent or ppl this worked for and a precent of ppl it didnt work for I would like to see that .. Also for those who have done this mod is there the issue of choppy game play and lagging in the game or is that only a issue with streaming "backups" over the BBA?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  19. j9990

j9990 Guest

I thought this was such a great turial that I would make... what to call it? A tribute? Yeah, I decided to make a tribute to this tutorial, if that makes sense!

I took the tutorial, put it into Microsoft Word, fixed all kinds of spelling, got all the images full-size and implemented them into the tutorial, and basically tidied it up real nice. It's really worth a download.

Here it is if anyone cares: http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=27752

20. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

Badmonkey: In my personal experience, everyone I have showed the MDPro to has got it working. I take it to my frds' houses and it never fails to work.

In My online experience, however, the percent is more like 85% works and 15% have problems. This data probably means the online people are doing something wrong, missing a small step, or are just unlucky and it doesn't work for them for one reason or another. So far, there has been no solid determinants to see if the trick will work or not. Some people say Only Pioneer and NEC drives work, others say their flea market junkers work. Some people say it's the Ritek DYE used in their Mini-DVD's that does the trick, others say no-name brand from the store does the trick as well. PAL/NTSC makes no diff either. So My guess is if you follow the tutorial carefully nothing will go wrong. Most of the people asking q's here don't have the MDPro yet, the ones that do usually don't have problems. Most questions are pre-buying questions like yours.

No, their is absolutely no lag issues with this exploit. All games run at 100% speed and 100% sound like a 1:1 of the original.

And your welcome to anyone who has found this tutorial useful, that's what it's there for :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2006