1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial: How to stream bluray to ps3

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by KidKappa, Sep 25, 2008.

1. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Unfortunately VC-1 doesn't work in m2ts, it must be in Blu-ray format, or re-encode to h264.

2. ggpr

ggpr Member

Thanks for the help, maybe I should just invest in a bluray burner. I have seen 25gb single write discs as cheap as $4-5 per, and rewritable 50gb at $20 per. Does anyone know a good deal on bluray burners, or a good place to watch out for them? I notice that newegg has a LG one on for 225 USD(~275 CAD),and they occasionally drop them down to $199 USD.

3. odin24

odin24 Regular member

I have an LG and it works great, I purchased my BD burner for $250 CDN on sale and with a $50 off coupon almost a year ago. One thing you should try to get is a BD burner that reads HD DVD too... yo unever know when you'll need to convert one to BD... it's very easy too.

Where did you see a D/L 50GB BD-RE for $20. That's an amazing price, could you provide a link if possible.

4. ggpr

ggpr Member

5. odin24

odin24 Regular member

HOLY CRAP :0, sweet find. I'mma hafta order me some, thanks man.

6. ggpr

ggpr Member

no problem, thanks for all your help!

7. ggpr

ggpr Member

I was just able to snag up a LG GBW-H20 for $240 CAD + shipping from pcvonline.com Mind if i ask you where you typically buy your bd-r's from odin? I have been referred to this place as one of the better deals, but i have no experience with this brand "blaze" and would prefer a standard quality brand like verbatim if i could find them near as cheap. Thanks

ps - sorry for getting a bit off topic here.

8. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Looks like a good deal, too bad it doesn'r read HD DVD.

Honestly though, I have never purchased a BD-R, only RE, and that one instance was at Future Shop on sale for $15, it was a Verb. Also, when it went on sale the BD-Rs were $10. Oh, yeah... I just purchased that BD-RE50 that you showed me, hopefully it'll deliver before the weekend.

Maybe try http://www.newegg.ca I think they have good deals too.

Usually FS puts their BD-Rs on sale every third or fourth week.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  9. ggpr

ggpr Member

I'm not too concerned about HD DVD, I don't own one or ever intend too, so hopefully i won't regret it later! My brother actually works at futureshop so I had him checking the deals for me today anyways. Newegg and ncix is where i would normally shop, but im really tempted by the 20 BD-R's for ~120 CAD. Another place ive seen decent deals is ebay, but I'm not sure about buying discs on there. I'd assume some of them have to be legit, but i dunno. Anyways, thanks again. Have a good one!

10. odin24

odin24 Regular member

I only mentioned HDDVD because it is extremely easy to convert a HDDVD to BD, afterall... back when both formats were at war, the titles that were on both formats were encoded the exact same way, just structured different. It literaly takes about 15 minutes to make HDDVD A/V streams BD ready.

There are also a select few titles that are only available on HDDVD, they'll probably come out eventually on BD, but who knows.

11. ggpr

ggpr Member

Ahh, good to know. I suppose I will just have to download those ones for now if i encounter something like that. Thank god for news servers!

While I have your attention I will try and get some more info out of you! If i wanted to strip a full BD and make it into a ps3 compatible bluray movie that will fit on a 25gb disc, All I would need to do is mux the movies main m2ts with tsmuxer into a bluray structure? Then take this and burn it with img burn with UDF 2.5 format?

The only problem I could see with this, is when I have TrueHD audio(which tsmuxer doesn't like?). In this case I would need to convert the TrueHD into LPCM, or is it possible to convert TrueHD to a dts hd form? I would then mux this into a bluray structure with tsmuxer and then burn.

Thanks again.

12. odin24

odin24 Regular member

There is a way to keep the TrueHD track. Use a program called tsremux (not tsMuxeR), load the whole m2ts from the BD rip, select only the tracks you want and mux to BD.

If you have raw streams, mux everything together using tsMuxeR to m2ts. tsMuxeR accepts TrueHD tracks, it's just playback that is the issue. Then take that m2ts file and use tsremux andmux to BD.

Here's what I do. I haven't come across a BD that I wanted to copy to a blank, I usually convert the HD audio to LPCM remux to m2ts and copy the whole movie, in one piece to my PS3's HDD. If I really want the movie I'll buy it, or if it's really expensive I might copy it to a BD25. If I did copy the movie I would definetley use the HD audio, not LPCM for obvious reasons.

This only works if you know you do not need subtitles because subs in raw m2ts files is a no go. Also you need a media server to move files larger than 4GB to the PS3's HDD. You can tell if the movie requires subs that are not hardcoded by demuxing them and actually looking at them using SUPread, it's an app that reads SUP subtitle files.

13. ggpr

ggpr Member

Thanks, I'll have to give tsremux a shot. I was probably only going to burn movies with VC-1 codec for now, to avoid a complete re-encode to allow it to play off the ps3's internal hard drive. Thanks again!

14. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Oh yeah, forgot about VC-1 and m2ts. It might be a good idea to invest in a BD-RE 25 at least.

15. KidKappa

KidKappa Member

Hey Odin, just wondering if I put in a 500gb drive into my ps3 will I just be able to copy the .m2ts files over or will they only play stream and not locally?

16. odin24

odin24 Regular member

You can copy them to the PS3's HDD and play locally. I do this often with my 60GB PS3. Which drive did you get?

17. beerlover

beerlover Member

Odin24 to quote you "If your video does not require subtitles you can copy the entire m2ts file straight from the BD rip via a home network to your PS3. The audio can only be regular AC3"

I just bought a Blu Rom thinking a I could just Rip and Stream to PS3 like I do DVDs. From what your saying above I could just use AnyDVD to RIP and then stream, no extra hassle. No desire to burn. I first wanted to make sure I understood you correctly and then pose a question.

Can I copy them to my hard drive without a ripper and stream and watch on PS3?. With regular dvds I could copy files without a ripper to my pc and watch the files (however when you burned them, the protection was in play and you got lines or fuzz on the frames). My point is that without AnyDVD, I can explore a blu ray in windows explorer. I haven't tried this yet but Can I copy them to my harddrive without a ripper and stream and watch on PS3? via this method. I am not worried about subtitles, AC3 is fine with me and I don't care to burn the files.

I'm trying to figure all this out before the 14 day return policy runs out on the drive. If I can't rip and stream simply for little added cost then I am going to return the drive and keep my cash.

18. odin24

odin24 Regular member

See my comments above. Once you start experimenting I can help you along the way... once you get it, it's too easy.

19. beerlover

beerlover Member

Thanks for the feedback. Will experiment.

20. KidKappa

KidKappa Member

Hey Odin, I haven't bought the 500gb drive yet but I was looking at the WD one on newegg.ca. Then I got to reading about NAS but everything seems to have to slow speeds, with bluray you need upwards of 40Mb/s. The pros of NAS would be to not have my computer on all the time plus more storage than my already packed tower can handle. Do you know anything about NAS or DAS?