1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial: How to stream bluray to ps3

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by KidKappa, Sep 25, 2008.

1. robert200

robert200 Member

Also just to clarify - regarding the LPCM bad frame detected resync stream error - this happens when I use tsMuxeR (latest version). When I use the Tools HD Streams extract to get the DTS-HD and output it to .w64 that process goes fine. Also I tried this as .wav, but still got the same error. When I did it as .ac3 it all worked fine, but of course the quality is much lower than I want for the audio.

And yes just for clarification I do have HDMI receiver with DTS HD MA and all the bells and whistles. Thanks again.

2. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Two things that could be contributing to this problem.

1) Is your DTS HD a 7.1 stream? For some reason eac3to (which does the conversion) cannot properly process 7.1 PCM tracks. Not sure why.

2) the rip, or source file is bad. Try to re-rip, or aquire the source file again.

There is another option, one that does not require converting audio. Play the video in AVCHD format, all it requires is an external HDD (FAT32 drive) that has the capacity of at least the file you are working with (obviously).

The benefits of AVCHD (over m2ts), is AVCHD can play VC-1, DTSHD-MA/DTS/TrueHD without converting to AC3/LPCM. Another biggie is subtitles, this is not possible with m2ts, AVCHD is OK.

3. robert200

robert200 Member

1: Am I correct in my assumption that using the .w64 approach will yield the highest quality audio track that is streamable to the PS3 (assuming the source is DTS-HD MA)?

2: I tried again from the source and am getting the same error turning muxing as I reported previously. It is a DTS HD 5.1 track. Not sure why I am getting this error. Any other ideas here (as I want to stick with streaming and now AVCHD, but want the best possible audio quality and now not sure what else to do)?

3: I was able to use Clown DB just fine. I told it to use the DTS-HD stream and to leave it unconverted. The resulting .dts file was then remuxed back in ok. When I look at the remuxed .m2ts file it describes the audio as: codec: DTS-HD Bitrate: 1536kbps core + MLP data.Sample Rate 48Khz Channels: 5.1 (DTS Master Audio). So how is this audio quality compared to what I would have if the .w64 was working with MeGUI?

Thank you.

4. odin24

odin24 Regular member

1. Yes... the .w64 (LPCM) will give you an identical audio track compared to the original DTS master audio. So this is your best option.

2. Try to extract the DTS Master track, from the ClownBD rework, use MegUI and extract the audio as w64.

If this works, remux everything back together using tsMuxeR. Select the original M2TS to use the video, se-select the DTS Master audio, and load the w64 file.

One other thing I can suggest, is make sure you use the update feature in MeGUI to ensure you have at least 3.15v of eac3to, currently it's at 3.16.

5. robert200

robert200 Member

OK I spoke too soon. :p Please disregard what I said about the output from Clown BD working. When I stream this to the PS3 I still have no audio (I assumed it would work because when I tested on my PC I had sound).

Switching gears back to using MeGui to extra the data as .w64 and then remux - as you will recall I have that problem with an error about 25% into the remux.

What is interesting though is that even though I have this error, it still left me a playable .m2ts file (25% of the movie). And when I tried it in my PS3 it worked flawlessly!

I see now what this is doing- converting the DTS HD to LPCM 6.9MBPS. That is great. This is a good solution.

So now I am even more motivated to get past this error that is causing the title to only make it 25% of the way through. :p Some questions if you please would:

1: Are there any settings in tsmuxer to tell it that if it encounters and error to just skip it and keep going? I do not know if it is just a little blip or a whole section that is bad. But all tsmuxer does is output the error over and over and over so eventually I just stop it.

2: Is there a way for me to split the m2ts into pieces and then mux them back together? This way I may be able to identify where the bad section is and avoid that piece, losing hopefully just a small portion of the title.

3: Lastly is there anything else you can think of for me to try (maybe a muxer other than tsMuxeR Gui 1.10.6)? Or maybe there is a support forum somewhere for txmuxer where the developers may have some idea how to resolve this?

Thank you for all the help.

6. robert200

robert200 Member

Another quick update- I tried the above. Great idea but unfortunately I get the same error at the same exact spot. Yes I am using the Update feature and all components are updated. Thanks again.

7. odin24

odin24 Regular member

There could be something wrong with the source file, the fact the the problem occurs in the same spot with numerous methods is a good indication of this.

If possible try to re-rip if you can, then give it another shot.

8. robert200

robert200 Member

OK will give it a go.

On another note- I am a bit confused about the best way to go about converting a TrueHD track. What is the best way to decode that down into the highest quality audio that will stream to the PS3?

Can I use the Tools in MeGui to extract the TrueHD stream and export it as .w64, basically just following the same approach as I was doing with the DTS HD above (except obviously using TrueHD as the source track instead of TrueHD)?

9. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Yup, it's the exact same thing for TrueHD. Another thing is you can extract from a ripped Blu-ray/HDDVD structure, or from the M2TS/EVO file. One benefit of this is, rather than detecting streams in the M2TS it reads the MPLS file and gathers other info like; chpaters, stream language, sub languages, etc.

One other thing, in order to convert a DTS Master/TrueHD track, you need a good decoder to interpret the information true to it's original form, you should visit eac3to's page on Doom9 to gather more information.

The reference decoder for DTS Master is Arcsoft's DTS decoder, which comes with Arcsoft's Total Media Theatre, and for TrueHD, I believe the Libav decoder is used as it does the job perfect... which is bundled with FFDshow. If you don't have Arcsoft installed that's OK, Libav codec will then be used, but I think there are limitations... I cannot remember though.

BTW, in case you are wondering why I keep refering to eac3to, is because this is the app actaully doing the stream extraction for MeGUI's Stream Extractor. If you know command prompt you can use eac3to through cmd.exe rather than MeGUI... sometimes there are bugs in MeGUI's approach that do not show up while processing through command promt.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=125966

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  10. robert200

robert200 Member

Thanks. Regarding your suggestion to possibly consider AVCHD- is there any way to have the AVCHD files on my PC, and use a media server such as Playstation Media Server (PMS) to have the PS3 access the files. Rather than to have to use an external FAT32 drive via USB on the PS3?

Some comments I came across here seem to suggest this is possible, you think? http://www.avforums.com/forums/ps3-media-streaming/913628-viewing-avchd-over-local-network.html

Also if I want to try an experiment, is there any easy to take create AVCHD files that are < 4GB each? As I understand it that is a requirement for FAT32.

11. odin24

odin24 Regular member

I don't think it is possible to stream a whole AVCHD structure yet... or if it will be at all for that matter.

Regarding the <4GB issue. I do this for BD rips (main movie only). tsMuxeR has a split option, and you specify by file size (4GB). It will then create 1 AVCHD structure with several 4GB chunks inside. The PS3 will play them seamlessly too, as if your were watching the actual disc.

12. robert200

robert200 Member

Yea that's what I was thinking too. But when I came across that thread (link I provided in last post) it sure sounded like they had it working that way. Easy enough to try- will let you know.

13. robert200

robert200 Member

I tried AVCHD through Playstation Media Server and all it showed was the directory structure, so that was a no go as you suspected.

I tried many things but could not get past the stream error trying to remux the LPCM w64 track at 25% through so I gave up with this title.

Now I've tried another title with DTS-HD MA. And this one two gave the same exact error during remux, except this was around the 33% mark instead of 25%.

Since the w64 is created by eac3to, I figured I would post this question in their forum discussion here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=125966 . I registered there but now I found out that new registrants have to wait 5 days before posting. Sigh...

If you wouldn't mind, would you be so kind as to post a question about this error in the forum so I can see the replies? Maybe just a couple of lines with a link back to my original post here about the error so we can see if anyone has some ideas?

I really like the idea of streaming my library to the PS3 because it is so much more convenient than switching discs all the time. But if it means accepting audio quality below LPCM 6.9MBPS then its not worth it to me. At this point it seems the w64 approach is the only way to get the DTS MA without sacrificing too much quality. If only I can get past this remuxing error. I'm not giving up yet! Thank you!!

14. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Someone else has experienced the same issue, with v1.9.4... not sure which version you are using. Me personally, with 5.1 tracks I have not experienced the issue, I am using v1.10.0(a)

It's most likely a tsMuxeR issue, and not an eac3to issue... since this happens on more than one rip. Maybe try using different versions of tsMuxeR. You can DL previous versions in the tsMuxeR thread at Doom9, I believe you can DL immediately. Here's a link to the post where the user has the same issue... post 3202.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1271938#post1271938

15. robert200

robert200 Member

Thank you. I went back and tried older versions- they either didn't have the .w64 support yet (prior to a certain version), or once they did all of them I tested had this issue.

Any thoughts on why you are not running into this issue? I wonder what can be different? Are your w64 files > 4GB? Mine is about 5.5GB.

What other muxers are out there I can try? I downloaded tsremux but couldn't try it as apparently it doesn't support import of a m2ts which is what my file type is (tho it does do .ts but I don't know how to go from .ts to .m2ts). It would be great if I could try another muxer to eliminate tsRemuX from the equation.

16. odin24

odin24 Regular member

I'm not sure why you keep getting the issue. The w64 files I have worked with were larger than 4GB. I am using Vista... not sure if that is the difference?

17. robert200

robert200 Member

Yes funny you should mention that. I was just thinking the same thing and coming here to post that I am running on Windows 7 and wondering if that is the cause. I am going to try this under Vista in a little while. Hopefully it will work! I will post back to let you know.

Also I have a question about the quality of the w64 format. Am I correct to assume that the conversion to w64 is lossless, and that if I can get this working, playback of a title this way will be identical to if I was listening to the DTS-HD MA track?

Its ok if there are slight subtle differences due to the non highend DTS encoder being used, just as long as I'm not significantly cutting the quality or bitrate like it would if I extracted the CORE only.

Thank you!

18. odin24

odin24 Regular member

w64 = LPCM, just different headers. DTSHD-MA and TrueHD are encoded from LPCM... or the studio master in the authoring phase at the studio labs. When converting to w64 you are basically getting the studio master.. it should be bit for bit identical to the track you are encoding from.

Also, DTSHD-MA and TrueHD are lossless codecs, extrememly efficiently compressed to be bit for bit identical to the studio master... just smaller in file size. LPCM is not considered lossless, it would be classified as uncompressed.

You should also keep in mind, not all LPCM tracks are 6.9mb/s... these are only 24 bit tracks, a 16 bit track would yield a 4.6mb/s LPCM constant bit rate.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  19. robert200

robert200 Member

I tried with Vista and got the same error. First I tried tsRemuX using the w64 that was created on Win7. Then after that didn't work I ran MeGui on Vista and extracted a new w64. Then I tried tsRemux again on Vista using the w64 also created on vista, and this too failed. All failures occur at the same exact spot.

Here's another possible difference... I am on an x64 machine (Vista x64 and Windows 7 x64). Are you on x64 or a 32 bit OS? If 32 bit OS perhaps that would explain it?

Lastly do you know of another tool besides tsMuxeR I can try to see if it'll work past this error? Thank you!

20. robert200

robert200 Member

Update: I just tried on a 32 bit Win XP machine and get the error at the same exact spot.