1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial: How to stream bluray to ps3

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by KidKappa, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Poseidon9

Poseidon9 Member

I read that this method doesn't work when you need subtitles. What is an alternative? I have ripped Kill Bill which requires subtitles but don't know what to do with it now?

2. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Vista 32 bit. Not sure of any other remux tool besides tsMuxeR.

3. robert200

robert200 Member

Well, we can rule out 32 vs. 64 bit as the issue... I used Windows XP 32 bit from another machine, ran MeGUI to create the w64 file and then tsMuxeR to combine and am still hitting the same error at the same exact spot. Sigh...

What do you think is the next best step from here? I plan to post a message on the doom9 forum to explain this and reference the other post already made there about the same issue. And to check with the person who has this issue. But still have to wait 3 more days before I can get that ball rolling... (frustrating new posters have to wait 5 days).

Are there any other formats besides .w64 or .wav that are capable of capturing the lossless DTS-HD MA stream (along with tools that can create these streams out and be compatible with tsMuxeR for remuxing)?

Not sure where else to turn at this point. For a newb this has been a lot to take on! :) Any further thoughts on this?

In the meantime I've been playing with multiAVCHD and got it tested out and working with a single title. However from what I can tell so far it is messy for adding new titles.

By far the best solution for me seems to be streaming from the PC with w64- and its working great up to the point where the LPCM error occurs in the remuxing. The m2ts file that it leaves (unfinished) even plays flawlessly. So close!...

4. robert200

robert200 Member

I believe you are on to something here about a possible bug with MeGUI. I have continued to work on this issue. My hunch is that MeGUI is producing a .wav file instead of a .w64, despite the w64 selection when extracting the stream.

I did manage to use Clown BD with IfUseNMT=1 set in the .ini which gets it to output .wav and then it convert that to .w64. When it remuxes it all is well. And as a test I can use tsMuxeR and remux the w64 file manually and all is well. However if I try to remux the wav file (as opposed to the w64 file) I get that LPCM stream error. This is what leads me to believe that MeGUI is actually extracting wav and calling it w64.

Can you provide an example of what the command line you are using to extract w64 using eac3to? I would like to try that directly instead of going through MeGUI but I'm not familiar enough with eac3to to write it. I see eac3to has a GUI too if I run the exe directly, but couldn't figure out how to tell it to extract a w64 there either.

Are you saying then that it is possible to get chapters and subtitles when streaming .m2ts to the PS3? This is the one (and last) piece I haven't managed to figure out yet.

Currently I am using Clown BD. I point it at the proper .mpls to load. After it does its first pass it prompts me to select the options I want. I check off the subtitles and chapters options (along with the video and audio options).

However when I playback on the PS3 it says "There are no subtitles" if I try to select one. And there is no chapter info (everything is one big chapter). When I look at the .m2ts in reMuxeR I can see that it properly contains the PGS responsible for the subtitle.

Any thoughts on what may be going wrong and how to get the chapters (in particular) and subtitles so they appear in the PS3 playback? Thank you.

5. odin24

odin24 Regular member

There is no way to get subs/chapters with m2ts only, you need to use AVCHD, on disc, or external HDD.

6. robert200

robert200 Member

No support for 1080p/24 when streaming .m2ts

Hello everybody. I love the idea of streaming m2ts from my PC. However I recently discovered that when doing this the PS3 only displays the content at 1080p60, despite the m2ts stream containing 1080p/24. Based on some searching online it appears that it is not possible to stream 1080p/24 from a PC using a media server like PMS. Is this correct? Any work around to this?

This was a big disappointment to learn. I also understand that with AVCHD playback on a USB drive it should do 1080p24 but haven't tried that yet. That makes that approach with something like multiAVCHD tempting. But it just seems so much more convenient to stream with PMS on many accounts. What do you think about the situation?

7. odin24

odin24 Regular member

I don't think it is possible to stream 24p content yet. I'm not sure how far your PC is to your PS3, but this may be of interest.

As you may have figured out by now I prefer AVCHD on an external over streaming. How I do this is I have my external at my PC's side, I also have a REALLY long USB cable (a couple of extensions) run through the floor into the basement and back up through the entertainment unit.

All I need to do is swap a couple of connections at my PC, then I can now "virtually" stream my AVCHD... not really streaming, but you get the idea.

I have 3 25 foot USB cables connected from my PC to my PS3, total cost was about $6, purchased at monoprice.com... I think. Voila, 24p and HD audio... with subs... custom menus too... plus chapters.

Maybe something to look into, if you have the accomodations.

8. robert200

robert200 Member

Very interesting idea! Do you know if anyone makes a USB A/B switch? That way you could just flip a toggle switch to control whether the external drive was hooked to the PC line vs. PS3.

I think that approach may be the best compromise and avoids the hassle of physically moving the USB and power back and forth. Very clever.

What do you do for title selection? Are you manually renaming the base AVCHD folder, or are you using multiAVCHD or something similar (and if so, what)?

I've run into an issue where the PS3 is not recognizing my AVCHD content when an external USB is plugged in. I create AVCHD output using tsMuxeR (setting its output type to AVCHD), then copy its BDMV and CERTIFICATE folder it creates into a AVCHD folder. Then I place that AVCHD folder at the root of the USB drive.

When I plug the USB into the PS3 and select Video, I see my USB drive. But then when I click on it, it says "There are no titles". If I use the PS3 Display All option, then I see the AVCHD folder and the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folder.

I've run into the same issue when using multiAVCHD - placing its AVCHD folder into the root has the same results as above.

Now, I did have this working at one point a few days ago. But now when I create these projects it doesn't work. Any idea of what is going on here? When I look at the AVCHD/BDMV contents I can see the files look ok (playlist and m2ts files in streams folder all present, etc)? Thank you!

9. odin24

odin24 Regular member

I don't think a toggle switch would work, you need to actually disconnect the USB device through Device Manager on your PC.... so I don't think that approach would work.

To actually get things to work there are two options.

1)
    If you have several seperate titles on your external, which is what I do, then you should use AVCHD Manager. All that tsMuxeR, and multiAVCHD does is creates a AVCHD/Blu-ray structure, AVCHD Manager obviously "manages" your external, and renames the AVCHD folder to the 8.3 naming system, which the PS3 needs for AVCHD recognition.

2)
    If all you have is one title, you can use AVCHDMe. Basically it works the same way, just not as advanced and without extra features that AVCHD Manager has. Both pretty much do the same thing.

10. robert200

robert200 Member

I am thinking it would be adequate to use Safely Remove Hardware to soft disconnect the drive, then flip the toggle on a USB switcher. The problem is that none of the switchers I see through online searchers look they they offer the right combo of inputs/outputs on the switcher? Like it only has one usb long slot and two of the square spots. What I think is needed are two of the long slots and one of the square spots.

I am wondering if there is a particular reason why you do not use multiAVCHD. I looked at AVCHD Manager which looks like a nice app. But you have to go to your PC and set the movie each time you are ready to watch something.

Seems a big advantage to multiAVCHD is that you can use its built in menuing system to select any of your titles on demand and just play, without returning to the PC. I would think that would be appealing so it makes me wonder if there is some reason you do not use it.

Thanks. Maybe the issue is that I may not have had the filenames in 8.3 format. I'll have to play with it some more.

11. odin24

odin24 Regular member

I do use multiAVCHD, only when needed though. I don't want all of my movies bundled into one structure. When I watch a movie I will delete it after, or re-encode it to fit on a DVD9... or two per BD25, whatever the situation calls for. If it's in one multiAVCHD structure I cannot do this, not without alot of work involved.

Going to the PC and setting things up only takes a few seconds, so I am happy with this.

12. robert200

robert200 Member

I know what you mean. I like the idea of having my titles "on demand" so its either streaming or multiAVCHD. multiAVCHD seems like it can do the trick but I find it awkward to work with and adds a lot of work to the mix plus needing external storage and a way to switch it out like running a long cable as you did or moving the storage back and forth. Benefit of course is 24p, subtitles and chapters.

Streaming however is so much easier on all accounts so I'm torn but leaning toward streaming and just giving up those aspects for the sake of simplicity especially now that I have the lossless sound worked out.

Too bad this is no better solution such as streaming AVC. Are there any rumors about Sony possibly adding that at some point or is the consensus that we may never see it?

13. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Who knows, they may add support at some point... somehow I doubt it though.

One more thing.... VC-1 rips will not stream, you will need to have this codec transcoded on the fly while streaming, or re-encode it. Transcoding will most likley comprimise the vid quality in a serious way.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  14. robert200

robert200 Member

Am I right then to assume this is yet another advantage that playback with multiAVCHD (and others like it) have over streaming?

15. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Yup, another advantage.

16. _Lafarge_

_Lafarge_ Member

Hey Odin - you're a wise dude...so I have a question for you if I may?

I'm running a dual core rig with 4GB of ram. Vista 64, Asus mobo, Intel 3GHZ @ 3.6GHZ, DDR2 RAM clocked from 800MHZ to 960MHZ. 2 x single SATA II HD's.

Every time I try to backup one of my discs the encode time is soooooooooo slow it's not even funny - I'm talking 43 hours to encode Superman 2 (2 hours 30 minutes) with the default properties for an MP4 rip, CQ set to 18.

Tried Handbrake too, but judging from this thread if I want to stream my backups from my NAS box to my PS3, AVCHD is the way forward and the easiest way for that to go is via Ripbot.

Have you heard of anything similar? I know this is probably a long shot and apologise for tagging my post onto the end of this thread - but this thread is exactly where I'm at in terms of backing up my content and streaming it to my PS3, I just need to sort out my speed issues.

Contemplating dumping Vista in favour for a Linux install... :)

Thanks for any input.

Lafarge

17. odin24

odin24 Regular member

On your setup that seems about right for encode times. You could try using other quality settings for faster encodes. Keep in mind that if you do not compress, and just re-encode you can use average quality settings. The more you compress, the slower the encode should take, because you would need a slower (or more complex) encode setting.

I'm not sure what speed settings there are for Ripbot but the bigger your final out file is the faster, or lower quality settings you can use without sacrificing picture quality.

Also, movies with the h264, or Mpeg-2 codec do not need recoding at all, just remux to m2ts with AC3 (or LPCM, if yuo can do HD audio), then stream away... you file will be extrememly large though.

18. _Lafarge_

_Lafarge_ Member

Many thanks Odin, appreciate your thoughts :)

Think I'll take a wander down the remux route and see what happens - seems daft to have a nice HD telly and A/V receiver if you're watching and listening to compressed material.

Thank you sir!

Lafarge

19. bigbill37

bigbill37 Member

Hello everyone! I just joined this forum but have been religiously reading them over the past few days in regards to Blu Ray streaming onto PS3. The tutorials, especially the one posted on this thread have been extremely helpful. After several attempts today, I finally have one BD movie converted and playing through my PS3. Both video and audio are working and I am surprised that through my wireless N connection from my server to my PS3, I only see small glitches. I plan on running Cat6 from my server to my home theater setup this weekend.

On the subject of conversion, I noticed that my audio is only running in 4.1 mode, while I have a setup for 7.1. The movie I converted was using DTS-HD. Is there a way to convert to allow for a 7.1 environment? The heart of my home theater is a Denon 4800 with B&W speakers.

As always, thanks.

Bill

20. fajoza45

fajoza45 Member

Hi everyone, I've been reading and trying to figure out how to stream my blue ray from comp to ps3. I followed the instructions and have come up with two separate problems.

1) I used tsmuxer and mux the video and LPCM audio. Final result was one file that I was able to stream to PS3, but I was only able to get the video and background audio from the movie.

2) I again read the instructions and followed the instructions on how to convert Tru-HD. The results were video but no audio at all.

I've been playing with the files and reading this thread for the last couple of days. I have come to a point where I don't know what else to do or what I am doing wrong.

Thank you in advanced, any help would be appreciated.