1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial - playing perfect GC backups on mini-dvd's(direct boot, no swapping, no PSO/memory card BS)

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by poodude, Sep 29, 2005.

1. poodude

poodude Member

I Loaded ninjashell 2.2 on my qoob to see if it would work. I think it detects modchips or something, becuase it loaded in the wrong refresh rate and told me to buy their modchip....
    Is your friend using a softmod too?

2. Krauser

Krauser Member

My friend uses GCOS 1.5 teaser rev 2, anways, I do not use version 2.2 due to the shareware delay and stupid title screen, 2.0 is way better with no delay and cool title screen, if you want the link to it, here is is.

http://forums.maxconsole.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=3088

You will have to compress the .dol using the program d0lLZ which can be downloaded from http://www.tehskeen.net/modules/Downloads/userfile.php?id=244 otherwise it will crash the gamecube when trying to load from a memory card if you do not compress it.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2005
  3. poodude

poodude Member

I used ninjashell 2.0 on my qoob. It booted and played games fine, no dre. I still got a scrolling screen for some reason though on the bios screen... That compress utility only shrank it about 2-4 bytes, kinda worthless.

4. Krauser

Krauser Member

why are you trying to use ninja shell when you got a qoob?

5. poodude

poodude Member

I was just trying to see if your problem is due to a bios issue; wanted to see if I would get dre's using a different bios.

6. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

You got a scrolling screen on the Ninjashell bios because it initially loads in PAL. You have to access the options menu and change it to NTSC for it to be viewed on an NTSC television.

Also, one reason to use an alternate bios on the Qoob Pro besides the official one is that if it doesn't work on the Qoob bios then it can be checked on a different one such as Ninjashell or GCoS. I have Qoob Pro bios 1.3c and 1.3a loaded as well as the GCoS 1.5 rev2 teaser and Ninjashell v2. For example, Pokemon XD didn't work for some reason with Qoob bios 1.3c but ran fine with Ninjashell v2. My other backups work fine with Qoob bios 1.3c, so I haven't a clue as to why this was the case with Pokemon XD.

Keep in mind I'm running Ninjashell and GCoS from Qoob's onboard flash memory.

And Krauser, I had the same problem with the random DRE and the "Gamecube disk could not be read" messages with Battalion Wars. I had to adjust the pot and eventually ended up with a working value of 150 ohms. Lower than the norm, but not so low it'll damage anything.

7. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

After rereading your past posts, I noticed you said you tried all values in increments of 20 ohms for values 1-500 ohms. According to modthatcube's tutorial, it said that anything below 80 ohms could possibly damage or considerably lower the lifespan of the GC's laser. Maybe that's what your problem is.

8. djrazor

djrazor Regular member

well, if it makes you people feel better, I had a DRE today, I rented Mario Power Tennis and was playing it with my brother then the disc stopped spinning and it said it could'nt read the disc, so I turned the power off, opened the lid, wiped the disc, then played with the lid open, no more problems, lol, no need to touch my POT ;)

9. Krauser

Krauser Member

I meant values between 100-500, my bad, typo. Yea I know below 80 is dangerous. Anyways, I am not really worried no more. I ordered a Qoob SX modchip last night that I will install to get rid of this gay swapping and dre, any suggestions for installing the chip?

10. poodude

poodude Member

Just follow this tutorial, it's not too hard to install. The only difference between the Qoob pro and Qoob sx installations is that you have a 3V connection instead of that pesky 5V gold connection. You don't have a usb so you're going to have to try flashing via BBA or disc.

11. goofygoob

goofygoob Member

I just installed a qoob pro modchip in my gamecube for my 11 year old son. I am trying to figure out how to burn images and play them on the gamecube. I am new to this so please bear with me. I have a new case that allows for full size DVDs. I tried burning and image in Nero to a DVD-RW as it is all I have at the moment but I can't seem to get the game to work. Do I have to use DVD+/-R to burn the image to? Also if someone can kind of give me a quick tutorial on using the qoob pro menu and options I would greatly appreciate it. My e-mail is goofygoober4ya@gmail.com if any1 can help out. Thanks.

12. djrazor

djrazor Regular member

I know you're a newbie so i'm going to be easy on you, lol

please read the tutorial at the beginning and research this topic, it has been discussed more than once.

You need to stream a game from your gamecube to your PC and burn it, Gamecube discs are read opposite to regular dvd's (outside in) There are plug-ins that are available for your qoob chip so you only have to start up the gamecube, press a button, then go into Internet Explorer to rip the disc's ISO

Otherwise there are other methods such as using Phantasy Star Online, Gamecube ISO server etc. to rip discs

13. goofygoob

goofygoob Member

Thanks DJ... here is a little more specific of a question. I have a GCM file that I want to be able to burn to a disc and play on my modded gamecube. I renamed the GCM file to an ISO file and tried burning it in Nero to a DVD-RW and then placed it in the modded gamecube (qoob pro) but am not able to get it to work. Is this because it is a DVD-RW or did I do something wrong?

14. djrazor

djrazor Regular member

it could be a few things, such as the media might not be the best, try using something like Ritek or Maxell dvd-r media instead of a dvd-rw disc, also, what flash file did you use on the chip?

15. goofygoob

goofygoob Member

I think it is the 1.3 flash on it. I didn't personally flash the bios on it and the person that did wasn't sure it was the right one. Where can I get the right bios and then I could reflash the bios and make sure the correct one is on it? Thanks for your help.

16. poodude

poodude Member

Get bios at the modthatcube site (google it!). I have a feeling it isn't liking your dvd-rw media. Try dvd-r or +r. I think you might have to pad the disc if your using full sized media(correct me if I'm wrong), to get it to work correctly. You might also have to change your laser POT for it to read your media.

17. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

It isn't necessary to pad the ISO, although I think someone posted that it can lengthen the lifespan of the laser either here or at the NGCdev forums. Something about preventing that loud clicking noise the lens sometimes makes while loading from the disc.

The games aren't working since he's using DVD-RWs, and I haven't read anything about those ever working.

18. goofygoob

goofygoob Member

the bios flashed on it is 1.3a from the modthatcube website. I went out today and got DVD-R - Sony brand and tried to burn the image to the DVD but I am still unable to read the disc. I have on order some mini DVD-R - Ritek and I sure hope that'll work. If not I guess I am going to have to open it up and mess with the pot. The image of the game I am trying to burn is 1,459,978,240 bytes. From what I read this is the complete image size for a gamecube game. If anyone has any other ideas I can try before messing with the pot, please let me know. Also any recommendations and/or instructions on changing the pot are greatly appreciated. Thanks everybody for bearing with a newbie. Just really want to get this thing going for my son - he is an anxious 11 year old...lol

19. poodude

poodude Member

Well, I know the ritek g04's work 100%. If it can't read those, you need to change the POT value. It's super easy, nothing like installing a modchip. Just make sure you turn the screw on the POT vary slighty, and repeatidly test it to make sure you know where it's at and how much you need to adjust it. I've modded two cube's with a POT of 210 and ritek media with perfect results. Might want to use the POT instructions in this tutorial, otherwise the modthatcube site has vary detailed instructions with pictures. - good luck

20. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

I'm cheap, so I'm using Verbatim DVD-Rs since they work fine with my Xbox and DVD players. I had to adjust the pot to 150 for my GC to read everything properly.

Also, the DVD-Rs I use cost $40 for a pack of 100 and are probably the cheapest I can get them in my area without getting too low a quality. I tried some Memorex I got for $25 on Ultimate Spiderman, but that didn't go too well, although I think it was just the image since my Verbatims didn't fare too well either.

The media quality has to do with the dye, and I know the Verbatim's, as cheap as they are, do have a good dye. The Ritek's are said to have the best, so if you have any problems with those then your only option is to adjust the pot.