1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Aerial Wall Socket - No Aerial?

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by Hoggie, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Hoggie

Hoggie Member

Hi Guys,

I've recently moved into a new property which has flush mounted wall sockets for the TV Antenna in every room. The trouble is none of them seem to get a signal. I've checked and they're all wired up, we have no Aerial on the roof or loft.

Anyway of finding out where the cables lead? Any clues would be appreciated.

Everyone in the same row of houses has encountered the same problem and all opted for Sky TV rather than resolving the problem.

Regards,

William

2. cactikid

cactikid Active member

most places built will have sockets incorporated into dwellings while they are being built and then at a later time u ring up to get a package off ur cable company they will then connect into ur outside link re box.

3. Hoggie

Hoggie Member

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, I probably should've mentioned that I'm based in the UK. Cable installations are less common here (Nearly everyone has Sky TV! or free to view terrestrial) The area i'm in doesn't receive any cable TV, so i doubt it was designed for this.

I would have thought all the cables would come together at a central point? Similar to your electrical circuitbreakers/wired home network systems?

Any clues or even hints would be appreciated. This is driving me nuts not knowing (Other than ripping the walls apart I don't know what to do)

Cheers

4. varnull

varnull Guest

Happy hunting.. There will probably be a junction box under the eaves or somewhere in the loft.

There was probably a plan to have just one aerial on the roof running to a distribution box feeding all the properties. Chances are it never happened.. I'm guessing it's flats?.. hmmm.. loft.. maybe not. If so check with the building owners.. or if you bought it then do pretty much what you want within reason (possible planning permission issues?).

No aerial on my house either.. landlords workmen took it down when they were repairing the roof and made no attempt to replace/repair/reinstall. Lots of wire.. going nowhere.. all I get from it is water when it rains ;)

5. bigbob227

bigbob227 Member

It is very easy to trace coax cables or any type of conductor for that matter. Obtain a Progressive or other brand of "toner" and simply attach the first part of the set (small box with various leads attached) to the wall plate and then using the second part of the set (probe with a small speaker) move along the walls untill you hear the "tone" it will get louder as you get closer. To save time, if you can gain access to attic and/or basement, start in these areas. You should be able to find each wire with no problems. Bob