1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tv as monitor really as simple as s-vid out from

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by katesisco, Aug 12, 2007.

1. katesisco

katesisco Guest

computer to s-vid in on tv?

I know this question has been answered before (I think) so that's why it's out of the way here. I was looking at converters for this exact thing and was told that all I needed was a 6 foot double ended s video. I just got a digital tv (plain jane) but has rca, svid and composite, of which the composite I am using from my dvd (el cheapo). For me this is luxury. SO...............if I want to buy a laptop, just make sure that it has an s-vid out and I can use it to run a cable to my tv and I have a nice big monitor screen? I plan to get a wireless keyboard with a trackball to take care of input. Sounds great, tv and monitor, take with laptop, and wireless keyboard. Can it really be that simple and cheap?

thanks,
    Ms Kathleen Sisco

2. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Yes it is almost that simple. But beware the resolution will not be good and dont expect to read any text in that setup unless you go 640X480. Check your new cool TV to see if it has HDMI. If so then try to get a notebook with a DVI out. (DOnt know if they make that) IF not there should be a VGA to DVI conerter then you will need a DVI to HDMI cable. Maybe even a VGA to HDMI cable.

To explain the almost up there. On some cards you have to go into the settings to turn on the TV out for display on TV. Not all are automatic.

-Del

3. katesisco

katesisco Guest

Really I did check and the tv is a plain jane, no dvi, just the 3 (rca, composite, and s-vid) and the tv is not HD just digital (something around what you said not up in the 1,000. So if I use s-vid nothing will be readable? I guess I will have to go to a converter like I thought. Thanks

4. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Converter for what. You where on the right track with finding a notebook with S-VID out. That is all you would need but like I said the resolution will not be good. Tvs have a much bigger space between its squares than a computer monitor. This is why it would not look as good. Also the reason text will not be easy to see unless you go 640x480. most Tvs will not display higher than that anyway. Some will allow a res of 800X600. At that setting dont expect to be chatting in chat rooms without straining your eyes to see the words on the TV.

-Del