1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Audio question

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by akyllonen, Nov 30, 2005.

1. akyllonen

akyllonen Regular member

I have a TV in which the audio no longer works....can I add a home theater system in place of the non-functional speakers??? When changing channels, etc. you can hear a very slight amount of sound on occasion. Any ideas?

2. gear79

gear79 Guest

it all depends where the fault is. if its just the speakers only, then you should still get a signal at the rca jacks, unless the circuit board that also supplies the jacks is fried, then you are SOL.
    but if you have a cable box or satellite box, then you can use those outputs. when i run my home theaterm i never use the tv's audio out, its always the source, ie; satellite, dvd player, or ps2.

3. akyllonen

akyllonen Regular member

I hooked up a cheap home theater system. Once I get the satellite box....how should my hook up go? Right now I only have sound on DVD's as the DVD player is part of the surround system. Any ideas?

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

does your satellite box have a component output on the back or anything? what kind of output does it have?

5. gear79

gear79 Guest

if your box has optical and or coax, then you can use those for sound, run them to the receiver so when you want the loudness on, and you can also run rca straight to the tv for when you dont want the stereo on.

6. akyllonen

akyllonen Regular member

I don't have the sat. box yet...it will be Dish/Direct TV's basic DVR once I order it.....

7. gear79

gear79 Guest

ok, well i have dish with dvr, and it has optical and rca out...
    along with composite out..
    now if you get the HiDef unit, it will have HDMI...

hth