1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV & Dish question???

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by flexo6, Mar 9, 2005.

1. flexo6

flexo6 Member

First off Very nice forum! My first post!!! Hiya everyone!
    My question is I want to put a tv & capture card in my puter and also want to run a dishnetwork receiver into this so I can record the movies to dvd. What exactly do I need to do this as far as a tv capture card?? or anything else I might need? I have the dvd Burner and cable modem.Just wanted to make sure I get the right device...Thanks for anyones help.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

You don't need a capture card.
    Plug the dish box into the dvd recorder, record what you want onto a DVDRW (reusable).
    You can then take it to the computer and edit if needed, and reburn to dvdr.

Wait...when you say "dvd recorder" do you mean a burner on your computer, or a standalone recorder?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  3. flexo6

flexo6 Member

Rebootjim:
    Whoops...........I have a burner..all new to this. Will that still work the way you said?

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

No, you will need a capture card with S-video or composite inputs (to match whatever the satellite box outputs).
    You can get s-video/composite converters for about $2 at Radio Shack if your satbox only puts out S-vid, or composite, or if you need one at all...
    Try and find a Hauppauge PVR-250 or similar cap card that does onboard HARDWARE mpeg-2 encoding.
    This takes all the load off the CPU, and actually creates mpegs ready to author and burn to dvdr.
    If you're in PAL land, I have a PVR-250 for sale <grin>

5. shiroh

shiroh Guest