1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV only plays front L/R surround speakers

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by jgenwr, Aug 11, 2008.

1. jgenwr

jgenwr Member

Hi,
    Having problems with getting surround sound 5.1 through philips 50" plasma TV. The front left/right speakers play, but not the center and L/R back surround sound speakers. I have a JVC RX 8040B A/V receiver. My sammy blu-ray BDP1000 is connected in digital output on a/v receiver and comcast cable box is connected with digital optical output to the receiver. DVDs play fine, sound comes from all 5 speakers. At this time I do not have a sub, but I am in the market to complete my 5.1 surround sound system.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

2. JVC

JVC Active member

First, go into cable box setup menus, and make sure the audio output is set to Dolby Digital or digital, depending on wording they use. Did you assign the optical input you used for cable box, to tv? If not, you need to. Your owner's manual will walk you through it. Know though that the only tv channels that broadcast in 5.1 surround are HD channels, some premium movie channels (HBO, Starz, etc.), and some PPV channels. The rest of the channels can be heard in Dolby Pro Logic (simulated surround), if receiver is set for it.

What kind of connection? Digital coax? With digital coax and optical connections, you'll get Dolby Digital and DTS, but not the HD audio.
    If your blu ray player has the 6 analog outputs, you'll want to also connect those to the 6 analog inputs on the receiver. Then, when watching a blu ray movie, set receiver to "Multi-Channel", instead of "DVD", and you should be able to listen to the HD audio soundtracks.

I hope this helped...........
    Good luck!

3. jgenwr

jgenwr Member

I am using digital coax from blu ray dvd player, but don't have all 6 analog connects. Where do I connect the 6 analog(red/white)on the back of the receiver?

4. JVC

JVC Active member

On back of receiver, there should be an area in the "Input" section, labelled 5.1, or Multi-Channel (not pre-outs). Each RCA connection in there should be labelled: Front Right, Front Left, Center, Surr. Left, Surr. Right, and Sub. They may be listed as initials (RF, LF, Cen, etc). Each one may be color coded too, more than just red and white.
    You'll use these only if your blu ray player has the same 5.1 analog RCA outputs. Not all blu ray players do. Two sets of the cheap component cables at Wal Mart is good for these connections. Just make sure you use the same input on receiver, as output from player. Don't get them crossed up.

Keep the digital coax connected too, so when you watch regular dvds, you still have DD and DTS.

NEVERMIND..............
    I finally found your blu ray player using Google. It doesn't have the 5.1 analog outputs. Your receiver doesn't decode the HD audio formats over HDMI. So, you're not able to listen to the HD audio formats, with the equipment you have. If you had a Sony BDP S300 blu ray player, you could, because it has the right outputs. Or if you had the Onkyo TX-SR606 you could, because it decodes the HD audio over HDMI.

Sorry to get your hopes up. I couldn't find your player on the Samsung site before.

5. jgenwr

jgenwr Member

Hello again,

Thanks so far for the info. Just wanted to know will the Onkyo tx-sr605 work?

6. JVC

JVC Active member

Yes, it should work just fine...........
    Good luck!