1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV series in AVI format to DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by RedzRum, Aug 30, 2003.

1. RedzRum

RedzRum Guest

Disclaimer: I have NO IDEA what I am talking about in the following. I've read the glossary some and TRIED to read some of the guides on this GREAT site, but so far all I have gotten is a head-ache. I'm REALLY lost at this point and hope that some poor soul will have pitty on me and hold my hand through this very confusing process.

I have several AVI files that I want to put onto a single DVD. They are each around 350MB in size and I BELIEVE in DivX with MP3 for sound (I hope that makes sense). I currently have a Pioneer A06 burner which I haven't even touched after installing it.

After reading some around on this site, I THINK I need to "re-encode" them and then burn them as a MPEG-2 format (that's what a DVD is right?) but am (obviously) REALLY lost.

help??????

Thx

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

You are nearly there. You need to re-encode form avi to mpeg2 using TMPGEnc. You then need to take that avi file and run it through TMPGEnc DVD AUthor to create the DVD structure needed. You then burn the VIDEO_TS folder created to disc.

3. RedzRum

RedzRum Guest

Okay, I d/l the TMPG software and am ready to give this a shot. Lemme make sure I got it right. First I use the TMPGEnc to convert the AVI to MPEG-2. Then I take the MPEG-2 and run it through TMPG DVD Author to make a ..... folder with multiple files in it????

Then I use a program such as Nero 6 to burn the files in the folder onto a DVD? Will I be able to burn multiple shows onto one DVD with "chapters" for each episode? At which stage to I need to set up my episodes into different chapters?

/goes back to the guide pages to try again now that the Excedrine has kicked in.

BTW, Thx Oriphus for your help.

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

You can set up the chapters and menus during the TMPGEnc DVD Author stage. You are right in all you said. Make sure that when you burn your disc, select DVD ROM UDF/ISO and have all the files inside a VIDEO_TS folder. Burn the whole folder to disc.

5. RedzRum

RedzRum Guest

What if I put a couple of episodes on and then decide to add some more later? Can I just "add them on" like tracks on an audio CD? Would I be able to expand the chapter list later?

Once again, Thx

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

No, you cant do that. There musnt be a multisession or the Standalone player wont read it. You need to make sure to close TOC.

7. RedzRum

RedzRum Guest

Okay, I've used TMPGEnc to make an mpeg out of the AVI (that took FOREVER!!) and then TMPG DVD Author to make the DVD folder. The problem I'm having is while I can get WinDVD to play BOTH the mpeg and the folder, neither have sound. I'm at a bit of a lose here. I have a SB Live if that is of any help.

Thx

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Sometimes there is no sound on the computer, but it plays sound on the DVD player once burned . The other possibility could be that in TMPGEnc you may need to multiplex the sound. Check out this thread for help:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/40101