1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Tuner

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by limelight, Oct 18, 2004.

1. limelight

limelight Regular member

Ive seen these around on ebay...kinda confused that a lot of them say they have 125 channel capabililty...what about people that have satellite service like me where the channels go up to 300+?

whats a good card that i can watch tv in decent res, and one that can record the video as well?

thank you everyone
    steve

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Keep your eyes open for the latest ATI HDTV tuner for PC, it will be on sale before Xmas.
    The more traditional TV tuners for PC will not replace your satellite hardware, but they can display the output from your satellite box on your PC video monitor.
    They could record video digitally in MPEG1 or even MPEG2 (like TIVO) but if you want audio too, you will have to rig it up to your PC audio input, and record that concurrently.
    Actually you don't require a TV Tuner for that - just a graphics board with a video input will do that.
    An ATI TV tuner means you don't need a satellite box or VCR as source, you just hook 75ohm cable right up to your PC.
    ATI ones decode pretty good MTS audio, but I had one (AVer Media) that produced just mono audio.
    I ended up bypassing the TV tuner, and just used it to display the video output from my MTS VCR.
    You could do that with the signal from your satellite box.
    Regards