1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Burners And I Wanna Leave

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by zenarrrow, Apr 27, 2005.

1. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

I have just installed a second dvd burner. I want to be able to put a movie in one and a blank disc in the other and come back and have a backup fresh off the press. Not too much to ask is it? Any way I use dvd shrink and dvd decrypter with this guide from bbmayo. Any suggestions on how to reduce the steps? http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/reccomended.html

2. cimerron

cimerron Guest

This is the perfect method for making a backup of your dvd. It may seam like a lot of steps the first time. Most of the steps are settings and will disappear after the initial burn.

3. squizzle

squizzle Active member

If you run AnyDVD in the background, you just have to tell Shrink to go and come back a while later and you're done.

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hi zenarrow,

As you know with dvd shrink once you have started advanced analyzing or encoding however you set it up you can walk away come back later and it's done. If you want a proggy that you truely just load the original in one dvdrw or rom, a blank in the other dvdrw, click go, walk away, come back in about 30 min and it's done then I recommend Intervideo DVDCopy3 Here's the link. http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/InterVideoDVDCopy_Profile.jsp It has a 21 day fully functional free trial. It is second only to RB/CCE for quality IMO and is a lot faster.

Mort

5. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Hey mort, thanks I guess I will ask you this I have a NEC DVD+RW 1100A I replaced it with a Pioneer 109 I was going to sell it then I decided to put it back in and run two burners all good but now my NEC which used to read and burn at 2.4x only gets to 1.4 with the buffer jumping all over the board. When it was the only one it never did that. So maybe I installed it wrong how / where do I go to make it a slave drive and my Pioneer the master and what not?
    Thanks ---zen-->

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Zen,

When you install your drives, you set the drive to either "Master" OR Slave with the jumper at the rear of the drive. The correct setting is printed on the drive itself.

I suggest making the NEC your Slave.

As to your buffer "Jumping" - that's it's job - Never worry when it's acting as a shock absorber to smooth out the reading / writing..

You will find that it is possible to burn 2 discs at the same time when you use Nero.

Hope that helps,

Pete

7. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

So I need to go back in there and manually switch the nec to slave? Is that why it slowed down to 1.4? My pioneer burns at any speed but I wanted to take some of the load off of it now what I mean?

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

zenarrow,

I take it you're running both drives on one IDE channel/Y cable. Yeah if that's the case which it probably is unless you have a SATA hdd then one drive needs the jumper on back set to master and the other set to slave. Like ScubaPete suggested make the NEC slave. Try that and let us know how it turns out.

I run both my dvdrw's as master on seperate IDE channels since I have SATA hdd drives.

Mort

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

@ Mort,

We have top careful when suggesting burner settings on the IDE cables - I forgot to ask how a Newbie was running his system - He set both burners to master and his PC wouldn't boot up (Ooooppps, my bad . . .

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Right on Pete. Keep me in line ;). Good to see ya BTW. Haven't heard much from ya lately. Everything good?

11. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Yes... you need to unscrew both of your DVD-burner drives, take it out and set one to Master and one to Slave. After that, check in your "device management" and in Advanced settings, make sure both says: DMA if available and not PIO, if you see PIO in either any of Primary or Secondary channel, then simply reset it to DMA, restart your computer, now you should be all set to burn/back up movies like there's no tomorrow.

Hope this help.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  12. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

First I took out the NEC and switched it over to slave The secondary IDE CHANNEL was in pio mode. I thought if I unistalled it Then rebooted My comp it would reinstall as dma but it still came back as PIO now both burners are reading way slow did I miss something here?

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Zen,

Go into your Device manager and uninstall it there - Reboot, and when it starts up again it should be in the DMA Mode.

Guide: Right-click
    My Computer - Click Properties - Click the Hardware tab - Click Device Manager - Click IDE ATA / ATAPI Controllers - Double-Click (either the Primary IDE or the Secondary IDE, where ever you have your burner connected) - Then right-click and select Un-install. Reboot to re-set.

If that doesn't seem to work then - Open Device Manager
    2. Double-click IDE ATA//ATAPI Controllers to display the list of controllers and channels.
    3. Right-click the icon for the channel to which your burner is connected and select Properties. Now click the Advanced Settings tab.
    4. In the Current Transfer Mode drop-down box, select DMA if available if the current setting says, "PIO Only."
    If the drop-down box already says, "DMA if Available" but the current transfer mode is PIO, then the user must "toggle" the settings. That is, change the selection from "DMA if available" to PIO only, and click "OK".
    Then repeat the steps above to change the selection to "DMA if available".

Lastly, when did you last defrag your Hard Drive (HD) ? If you have to stop and think about the last time you did it, then it's way, way overdue. Here we go, (Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Defragmenter. When it opens, choose your HD, analyses it to see where we stand then if you need it (you probably will) choose Defragment.).

After you finish doing it now you might want to think about having "Scheduled Tasks" in your Control Panel do it for you on a daily basis.

A fragmented HD not only drastically slows down your system but it can cause all number of things to happen inside your PC, a messed up burn being one of them.

Once we've done that, our DVD burner should operate at peak efficiency :D)

Cheers,

Pete

Give it a test run and let us know how you make out -

14. squizzle

squizzle Active member

If none of that works, check your BIOS. DMA might not be enabled there.

15. nikki1971

nikki1971 Member

How do you chek the BIOS?

16. squizzle

squizzle Active member

When you reboot, hold down F2 or Delete, all computers are different. Be careful what you change though.

17. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

OK Guys, I do defrag regularly. About my PIO Mode I have done these steps
    and it still is coming back as "PIO only" It all started when I reinstalled my old nec and switched it to slave, before only the NEC was reading slow. After that when I switched to slave then my pioneer started going real slow as well...? Should I switch it back to master or just take it out? I have tried all the steps a number of times. First just uninstalling the secondary IDE rebooting, then switching to DMA if Available then rebooting. I am kinda dumb founded a little, I guess I will defrag again and see if that will do anything. Thanks

18. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Zen,

Let's take a look-see at your IDE cable and see how many wires you have on it. No matter what the cable, you'll have 40 pins - the question is . . . Do you have 40 wires OR 80 wires.

The reason you go to PIO is that when running DMA, if there are errors (6 of them OR a constant error) it will reset back to the old PIO Mode. When all errors are absent, you should have DMA OR Ultra DMA transfer mode.

After you once have your HD defragged, it should be good for a while.

As far as Defrag, set it to run under "scheduled tasks". Mine runs once a day on all 4 drives OR when things are running normally, it runs 24/7 in the background in low priority mode as opposed to hi-priority, once a day.

Let's try to find your errors (I think you have them) since you have your settings correct.

Settings for Zen's DVD Burners;

Pioneer – Set to Master on her Secondary IDE cable
    NEC - Set to Slave on her Secondary IDE cable

After you check the cable's wires (on both IDE Cables) you should be able to button up your PC case unless my feeble little brain comes up with something else (Lol)

Cheers,

Pete

19. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Hey thanks for the reply Scubapete I do have 80 pin cable(s) it is just one continus cable with 2 hook ups. I am going to get in there and disconnect the NEC and see if I can reboot it to dms to hell wit hthe NEC maybe I shouldn't have switched it over to slave. I guess one burner will suffice. If I still have questions I will ask you later ok or if it works good I will tell you as well. The thing is it comes up PIO imidiatly so maybe a constant error? Like you say. ---zen-->

20. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

OK Pete this is where I am at, I took out the NEC. When I started up, on the secondary IDE Channel it was showing in device 0 it was showing DMA if availible device 1 PIO only, Still read at 1.7 to 1.9...So I uninstalled it again, this time balloons popped up and said found new hard ware Pionneer 109, another found new hardware secondary IDE channel, in the device manager it now shows device 0 PIO only device 1 DMA if availible. Still reads at 1.7 to 1.9? I will do the defrag but isn't od that yesterday it was reading at 9.0 to 10? Then I switched the NEC to slave and uninstalled secondary because it said PIO? Thanks