1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two files, one dvd

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by b3ckm4n, Nov 27, 2004.

1. b3ckm4n

b3ckm4n Guest

I was wondering if anyone had a good way to combine two files into one DVD? Say, I made a home movie on my computer into two different AVI files, each around 2-3 gigs. After encoding them I ended up with two mpeg2 and mp2 video and audio files. Now, I am asking if anyone knows a good way to author them together, i.e. so that when I play the DVD the two segements run together. Other than making a menu or chapters, I can't really figure out a good way to mock one large file. If there isn't a way, anyone know a good way to make em into two sep. chapters? thanks

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

About the simplest way is process both files into two DVD-Video compliant folders and then combine them using DVD Shrink in the re-author mode. That will also provide for some compression if it needs it.

Personally though I would use DVD-lab or NeroVision Express. That gives you an opportunity to be more creative with the menus and any effects you might want to add.

The procedure for either program is similar, just add your "assets" to a timeline, add the effects and a menu if you like.
    Then just let the program process the project.
    That leaves you with a folder, ready for burning.

The file types should not be a problem with the programs I mentioned.

Just about any video capture/editing software should work. The programs I mentioned are the ones I use for doing similar projects.

3. b3ckm4n

b3ckm4n Guest

Oh really? I didn't know Shrink could do that, it's such a great program. Thanks for the response :)

4. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

Note that fasfrank did say
    for DVD Shrink...which two AVI files are not...

I believe there are MPEG merging programs in the software section. Just do a search for "merge mpeg" and you'll find some answers.

Adder.

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Exactly Adder01, I should have emphasized more that Shrink will have nothing to do with those files. They would need to be converted first.

Joining a couple of files regardless of the format shouldn't be much of a problem. I do like your idea of doing it at the front end of the process though.

I would be tempted to edit first and then join, just to get the overall size down, however if b3ckm4n does not plan on removing much then I would probably go with the mpeg join at the beginning. I don't have one of those programs so I just use what I've got installed.
    Probably like most of my fellow afterdawners, I have way to many video programs and I just don't want anymore!

Cheers to all,
    Frank