1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

two operating systems

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by hajoor, Mar 13, 2005.

1. hajoor

hajoor Member

My computer runs Win Me but I find that I need Win XP to download itunes etc. I await a copy of XP (in the post now). How can I have both OSs on the same computer? I have two hard drives (C: and D:) and also a Maxtor One touch of 200g external. I'm sure the solution is fairly straightforward but I'm not very proficient in this aspect. Please help! (Can I install on any drive and boot separately from there?)

2. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

You can install two versions of Windows on the same HD or different HDs, you get a choice of which OS to boot from at boot-up.

I wouldn't recommend it though, why go with Windows Me when you have Windows XP? =)

3. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yeah I personally don't like XP, but am forced to use it cause all the new programs only run on it. So if you want a dual OS, go with the best windows OS, win2000 pro. it will NEVER crash on you. My server has been running constantly for over three years now...not a single hiccup

4. leefish

leefish Member

i am running win xp pro the same version on both sides of a partitoned hard drive for two years not a bother

5. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Man, windows me suck SO bad...lol, but only because i had so many problems with it.

LOL!

Ok, here is a question...like hajoor said, he had an xternal drive, so do i...it isn't much, it is an 80gig one, just for storing dvd images (not many might i add), but lets say i want to put an operating system on it, just in case my computers c drive acts up. what is the best way to go about it?

Are there any guides that I can follow?

Thanks for the input.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check to see if motherboard bios will let you boot from a usb hd or cd/dvd drive

7. hajoor

hajoor Member

Many thanks for taking the time. It's given me a fair idea and I have a holiday coming up to try these ideas. Holiday's important because-why do I feel a crash coming up!- Law of averages I guess when trying new stuff.
    TM: I'm keeping Me. JUST in case Xp doesn't work well for me but like you say if it suits I'll just stick with the one-XP (Does it derserve the occasional bad press it gets - re viruses etc? I've been very happy with Me and was too late(DJS)for Win 2000-didn't know enough about it to consider. Will also look out for answers to venom as I'm sure I'll find that relevant.

8. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

I like XP, but I'm not very picky about OSes. =D I'm not a Microsoft hater either.. =D

Anyway, basically when you install Windows XP, disconnect all internet devices. When you've finished and set everything up, first thing you do is install an Anti-virus program and update it. Second you go into Help and Support > Windows Update and you update like a man on fire... after that, it's all good from there. =)